Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-26-2018, 06:36 AM   #1
madmaxmutt

Cougar vs Jayco Eagle

Are there any owners out there that have recent experience with both? The initial quality of materials seems similar. The floorplans are similar enough to be a wash. The Cougar has a better docking station. The Cougar has better basement storage. The Jayco has better front storage. All the local Jayco models have better tires and spare mounting.

Looking for any and all recent experiences with both brands.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 06:49 AM   #2
mhbell

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmutt View Post
Are there any owners out there that have recent experience with both? The initial quality of materials seems similar. The floorplans are similar enough to be a wash. The Cougar has a better docking station. The Cougar has better basement storage. The Jayco has better front storage. All the local Jayco models have better tires and spare mounting.

Looking for any and all recent experiences with both brands.
What Jayco and what Cougar are you looking at. There are different trim levels in both. also different packages. I've owned both. my cougar is at the lower end and the jayco that I use to own was at the top of the line. The Jayco's in most cases are more expensive unless you are looking at a upper level Cougar Like the high country. I found the jayco in most cases to be better built, but not always.
Mel
Old 08-26-2018, 06:55 AM   #3
madmaxmutt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhbell View Post
What Jayco and what Cougar are you looking at. There are different trim levels in both. also different packages. I've owned both. my cougar is at the lower end and the jayco that I use to own was at the top of the line. The Jayco's in most cases are more expensive unless you are looking at a upper level Cougar Like the high country. I found the jayco in most cases to be better built, but not always.
Mel

Great point! Cougar Half Ton vs Jayco Eagle HT. This comparison side-by-side seemed to be apples to apples for the most part.
Old 08-26-2018, 07:12 AM   #4
Javi

Are you looking at 5th wheels or pull behinds..
Old 08-26-2018, 07:20 AM   #5
madmaxmutt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Are you looking at 5th wheels or pull behinds..
Mostly 5th wheels, but not 100% on either at this point.
Old 08-26-2018, 08:03 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

No opinion to give on which trailer, that usually turns out like which truck is best... But a point to remember is that tires are a "constant change item" meaning what's on the trailer isn't something that'll have to remain the same. Most people upgrade tires not only because of brand but because of weight capacity/loading. I'd prefer cheap tires that have a heavier load capacity over expensive tires that are barely adequate to carry the load.

I guess what I'm saying is that the brand of tire, while important, isn't as important as whether they're "bare minimum" or "adequately oversized" to carry the weight being placed on them. Manufacturers tend to "go cheap" rather than "install the next larger size", so this is one area where "size is more improtant than looks".... YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 08:14 AM   #7
madmaxmutt

Excellent point. I didn't check that. I only noted Goodyear Endurance vs Trail King.
Old 10-04-2018, 03:41 PM   #8
madmaxmutt

The Jayco Eagle HT 26.5RLDS won out in the end. It came down to picking which items best fit our needs and wants.

The Endurance tires are rated at 3640lbs each. The trailer is a 9995 GWVR, so I believe they will work well for us.
Old 10-04-2018, 05:57 PM   #9
chuckster57
Site Team

Well congrats on your new purchase. Feel free to stick around, we won’t discriminate just because you bought some other brand.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 05:30 AM   #10
5J's

Congrats. Jayco has a nice product.

2017 Hideout 308BHDS

2006 F-350 6.0L PSD CC 4X4
5J's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 06:27 AM   #11
wiredgeorge

Lordy! Was hoping this wouldn't turn into a tire thread. LONG LIVE TRAILER KING!
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 07:28 AM   #12
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Well congrats on your new purchase. Feel free to stick around, we won’t discriminate just because you bought some other brand.
Ultimately they're both the same company, Thor.
Just recently Thor acquired Jayco & owns Keystone, along with about every other company you could think of.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 07:31 AM   #13
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Ultimately they're both the same company, Thor.
Just recently Thor acquired Jayco & owns Keystone, along with about every other company you could think of.
While Thor owners a bunch of RV companies, do you think they all fall into the same quality of material and workmanship standard because of the single owner?

Didn't know that Keystone and Airstream were both owned by Thor... Thor owns a BUNCH of prominent manufacturers:

https://www.thorindustries.com/get-t...the-companies/
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 12:47 PM   #14
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
While Thor owners a bunch of RV companies, do you think they all fall into the same quality of material and workmanship standard because of the single owner?

Didn't know that Keystone and Airstream were both owned by Thor... Thor owns a BUNCH of prominent manufacturers:

https://www.thorindustries.com/get-t...the-companies/
Each of the different entities are run independently, but all use the same vendors. Just like Wal-Mart, big discounts on supplies when bought in qquantity. Like all rv manufacturers the bottom line is all that matters.
I think you'd be surprised at the different companies that Lippert owns & how much they supply to the Thor entities & other rv manufacturers.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 02:49 PM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

There are just so many window manufacturers, so many refrigerator manufacturers, so many aluminum tubing manufacturers, so many luan plywood manufacturers, so many vinyl wallboard manufacturers, the list goes on and on... All the RV companies from Forest River, Thor, Winnebago and even the couple of "private small RV builders" all use the same materials from the same manufacturers and purchased through the same suppliers in their trailers.

There is some difference between brands in "quality of workmanship" but rest assured, even Airstream has a warranty and a service department at every dealership....

There was a comment made a few days ago about paying $20,000 for a 23' trailer and not getting a "problem free unit"... Trailer Life has an article in the current issue in which they tested a 23' "teardrop" trailer and a RAM 1500. The trailer listed at $31,000 and the MSRP on the test unit with options was $38,000. Airstream International 23' models start at $87,000.

So, expecting a "no problem trailer" for a "bargain basement price" ??? Probably not going to happen when the 40K and 90K trailers have issues with almost every trailer.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 05:24 PM   #16
SkiSmuggs

In 2011, we had a Jayco Eagle HT 29.5 camped next to our mediocre TT. The couple had just picked it up from the the Indiana and were towing with their brand new 2011 F150 (they just added air bags LOL). They gave us a tour and we were sold. Then I started doing research and was not happy about the 1700 lb dry pin weight for our new 2011 Max Tow Ecoboost F150 with an 1848 lb payload. While checking other options, we found the 2012 Cougar High Country 299RKS with an almost identical floor plan and a dry pin weight of 1410. We got the HC and the loaded pin weight was 1650 lbs.
So pin weight was the deciding factor for us.
Old 10-06-2018, 05:56 PM   #17
Gegrad

Congrats max. Glad you were able to get everything settles after your nasty hailstorm.
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 08:19 PM   #18
madmaxmutt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gegrad View Post
Congrats max. Glad you were able to get everything settles after your nasty hailstorm.
Thanks. It is far from settled, but the trailer is
Old 10-08-2018, 06:19 AM   #19
plocklin

Thumbs up on the Goodyear Endurance tires! I upgraded to larger rims and Endurance tires on my Cougar 306BHS and love them.

Ive been to California, New Mexico, 2 trips to Florida and others over the last 2 years and they pull great. The "Made in USA" 10 ply tires are a huge improvement over the China Hurcules that came on the trailer.

New tricks
plocklin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cougar