Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-17-2017, 08:31 AM   #1
Dcbc82

Freshwater drain

I have a 2016 Elite 23RB and with the extended season option, the red blue lines extending below the insulation, is that where you drain the water for the fresh water tank and hot water? I need to drain and sanitize the tank for the season. Going out this Wednesday. Do you use some bleach to mix with and let sit for a while to sanitize the system? Thanks
Dcbc82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 09:26 AM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

The red/blue lines are the hot and cold low point drains. You should have a separate drain for the fresh water tank - mine is white. There are several threads that outline how some of the folks sanitize their systems.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 09:27 AM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Here's a thread discussing sanitizing:

http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...light=sanitize
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 10:19 AM   #4
66joej

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcbc82 View Post
I have a 2016 Elite 23RB and with the extended season option, the red blue lines extending below the insulation, is that where you drain the water for the fresh water tank and hot water? I need to drain and sanitize the tank for the season. Going out this Wednesday. Do you use some bleach to mix with and let sit for a while to sanitize the system? Thanks
I see sourdough answered your question re: red/blue lines. If you mean hot water tank also you must remove the drain plug on the tank itself to drain.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 11:31 AM   #5
slow

I have a 2015 Elite 23RB.

To drain the hot water tank, I open my COLD (NOT hot) water low point drain and I open the pressure relief valve on my Atwood water heater. It is not intuitive, but it works since the cold water inlet to the tank is at the bottom of the tank and the pressure relief valve is at the top of the tank. It actually drains more water out of the hot water tank using this method than by removing the hot water tank's drain plug which sits higher in the tank.

I also replaced the low point drain caps with valves to make it easier to drain after each camping trip.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 11:48 AM   #6
canesfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow View Post

To drain the hot water tank, I open my COLD (NOT hot) water low point drain and I open the pressure relief valve on my Atwood water heater. It is not intuitive, but it works since the cold water inlet to the tank is at the bottom of the tank and the pressure relief valve is at the top of the tank. It actually drains more water out of the hot water tank using this method than by removing the hot water tank's drain plug which sits higher in the tank.

I also replaced the low point drain caps with valves to make it easier to drain after each camping trip.
I NEVER would have thought of that. After all these years...
Old 04-17-2017, 12:16 PM   #7
66joej

^ Me either. Good tip. Thanks.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 05:18 PM   #8
BuxCamper

I would drain and bypass the hot water heater when sanitizing. No need to fill it with bleach water. When sitting cooking hot water it's getting sanitized naturally.

The second picture here is what I did to make draining easier.

http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=28121

-- Mark

I used a multi-billion dollar government satellite navigation system to look for a rubber chicken in a tree!

2017 Bullet 248RKS towed by a 2011 Chevrolet Silverado 5.3L V8 W/ AFM
BuxCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 06:42 PM   #9
slow

BTW: the drain for your fresh water tank should be on the driver's side under the water pump next to the bed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 05:24 PM   #10
wmyers

I'm seeing this is an old thread but hopefully it's still active.
I have a Passport 2018 2670BH. I see the red and blue low point line hanging down. They are near the gray and black tank valves. I absolutely can not find any other valve to drain the fresh water tank.
Can someone post a photo or help me find the drain please.

thanks!!!
wmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 04:13 AM   #11
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmyers View Post
I'm seeing this is an old thread but hopefully it's still active.
I have a Passport 2018 2670BH. I see the red and blue low point line hanging down. They are near the gray and black tank valves. I absolutely can not find any other valve to drain the fresh water tank.
Can someone post a photo or help me find the drain please.

thanks!!!
Ok guys and gals, can someone throw Wynn a bone here?

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 05:04 AM   #12
jsmith948

Where is your FW tank? The drain will be under the tank and is simply a 1/2" PEX line with a 1/4 turn valve or a cap on the end. If you don't see a line, look at the Coroplast under the tank. There may be a hole with some remnants of expanding foam around it. Perhaps the drain line has slipped up inside the Coroplast. It seems unlikely that the drain line has fallen off as that would allow the tank to drain. The drain line has to be there somewhere under the tank unless the factory failed to punch a hole for the drain line and it is hidden in the underbelly?

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 05:31 AM   #13
Canonman

Our previous TT had this great dump valve for the FW tank. Keystone uses a 1/2" pex line with a white cap. Ours is located towards the rear about 4' inboard of the rear bumper and 3' in from the drivers side. It's a bit of a PITA to get to and is slow to drain but it's there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Proxy Falls 2018 (10 of 11).jpg
Views:	260
Size:	324.8 KB
ID:	18913  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 07:55 AM   #14
wmyers

Thanks for picking up on this thread!
I appreciate any help! It's my first TT, so I'm learning this on the fly.

To answer, "where is your fresh water tank", I'm going to make the assumption that it is just below the fresh water fill up. That's a total guess though.

The fill up is on the driver side, maybe 8' from the front. In front of the water heater, slide etc.

There is no fresh water drain that I can find near the low water drains. Those are on the back side of the slide approx 6' from the rear, right beside the gray and black drains.

It's sounding like the fresh water drain will not be near those. It should be much closer toward the front, under the fresh water fill up?????

I will crawl under it again today and double check, but I'm starting to suspect that it got covered up from the factory.
Old 10-14-2018, 08:08 AM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

Don't forget to look on the outside edges of the frame rails where there is no Coroplast. Often, when the fresh water tank is above the floor, the drain is on the lower edge of the tank side and is routed to the bottom of the trailer OUTSIDE the frame rails, in the area where the outriggers are welded to the frame.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 08:11 AM   #16
Canonman

Our FW drain is not near the low point drains. Like your's, our LP drains are by the dump valve. OUr FW tank and fill line is in the rear of the coach and the drain is right under it.
Hope the factory didn't cover it up but hopefully the dealer has other units of your model that can example the drain location.
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 04:53 PM   #17
wmyers

I found it!

It was closer to the front than I would have thought. It was pretty much in line with the FW fill up, about 4' in from the frame. But there it was.... blue pex with a black cap.
I just wasn't looking far enough forward to notice it.

So thanks for all the help guys!!!!
I'm learning a lot from these forums.
Old 10-17-2018, 04:39 AM   #18
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow View Post

Was just reading back thru this old posts. When I drain my hwh (Suburban) I turn on the water and open a hot water faucet for a brief time. then turn water supply off, with in tank cold, open pressure relief valve, then remove drain/anode rod. In my experience this helps to suspend the sediments in the hwh and flushes the tank, removing most of the sediments. YMMV
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 03:22 AM   #19
BuxCamper

I use my fresh water fill tube adapter to help squirt in the drain hole and flush out the tank. You can get a specific adapter to do this but water fill tube works well enough.

I used a multi-billion dollar government satellite navigation system to look for a rubber chicken in a tree!

2017 Bullet 248RKS towed by a 2011 Chevrolet Silverado 5.3L V8 W/ AFM
BuxCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 10:46 AM   #20
Crystal

I found mine to be just a white turn valve behind the driver side rear tire. It was hard to find because of the over spray of insulation around it. Had to break a little of the insulation off to be able to turn the plastic valve. 2020 outback TT
Crystal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drain, water