Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-10-2018, 07:18 AM   #1
Tufelhunden

RV TV and HDMI

When we took our TT for its first trip we decided to bring to PS3 and watch some movies we had purchased. We have used the PS3 since blu rays came out in our hours and never had an issue. With the TT TV it won't play the sound through the TV speakers, actually we seem to get one channel of sound, we could hear Dead Pools narration, but not the talking between characters. I'm guessing the TV is bad as the PS3 works fine on the TV in the house through its speakers. Are RV TVs different or is ours just broken?
Tufelhunden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 07:30 AM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

Did you try it on a different HDMI port on the tv?
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 09:10 AM   #3
RoscoeV

It sounds like there is a setting on the TV audio that needs to be changed for that HDMI port. Go to the menu and look at the audio settings, you may have to play around with the different settings until you find the one that works. If that doesn't fix it you should also check the PS3 settings to make sure it's set for HDMI out and possibly PCM.
2018 Ram 2500 Laramie
Pathway X2 with DISH Wally
RoscoeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 01:48 PM   #4
KimNTerry

On mine I had to connect the TV Audio Out to the Auxiliary In on the back of the Entertainment Center using RCA Cables.

When using an HDMI input on the TV I need to change the audio Input on the entertainment center to Aux In to get audio channel from the TV.

2016 Cougar 1/2 Ton Series 283 RETWE
2018 F150 EcoBoost FX4 Lariat Max-Tow and Heavy Duty Payload Package
KimNTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 08:31 PM   #5
BamaRam

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimNTerry View Post
On mine I had to connect the TV Audio Out to the Auxiliary In on the back of the Entertainment Center using RCA Cables.

When using an HDMI input on the TV I need to change the audio Input on the entertainment center to Aux In to get audio channel from the TV.
This right here.... exactly.
BamaRam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 07:51 AM   #6
Tufelhunden

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoscoeV View Post
It sounds like there is a setting on the TV audio that needs to be changed for that HDMI port. Go to the menu and look at the audio settings, you may have to play around with the different settings until you find the one that works. If that doesn't fix it you should also check the PS3 settings to make sure it's set for HDMI out and possibly PCM.
I'll give that a try. I tried changing the PS3 with no joy but didn't think about the TV. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimNTerry View Post

That would be unfortunate if true. Th whole purpose of HDMI is to carry audio and visual in one line so the PS3 doesn't even have other audio jacks but I'll give it a go. Thanks.
Tufelhunden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 07:48 AM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

That would be unfortunate if true. Th whole purpose of HDMI is to carry audio and visual in one line so the PS3 doesn't even have other audio jacks but I'll give it a go. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

This is why I suggested trying another HDMI port on the television if it has more than one. The other way to check the tv would be to take a dvd or b-dvd player the works in the house and try it. If that doesn't work, there are available "break out boxes" that take an HDMI signal and breaks it out to the analog components. For me personally if that's the case at today's prices I'd replace the tv.
Old 09-12-2018, 09:14 AM   #8
Carrottop

The way I understand it is that you are sending and HDMI Audio/Video signal from the PS3 to the TV directly bypassing the Stereo control that feeds the speakers. I am assuming that if you turned up the volume on the TV you would have sound from the PS3. You have two solutions as we encountered the same issue we connected an Aux cable from the external device (PS3) headphone jack to the Aux port on the Stereo and selecting Aux on it giving you sound through your speakers. Second solution would be to buy a sound bar that connects to the TV and would give you your true HDMI sound. In short there is no way for the sound being fed to the TV HDMI port to get to the stereo. Most Stereos are connected with RCA cables and not HDMI cable You would need to convert the HDMI sound to RCA analog.
2015 Nissan Armada 5.6
2021 Keystone Residence 40FLFT
Carrottop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 01:07 PM   #9
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrottop View Post
The way I understand it is that you are sending and HDMI Audio/Video signal from the PS3 to the TV directly bypassing the Stereo control that feeds the speakers. I am assuming that if you turned up the volume on the TV you would have sound from the PS3. You have two solutions as we encountered the same issue we connected an Aux cable from the external device (PS3) headphone jack to the Aux port on the Stereo and selecting Aux on it giving you sound through your speakers. Second solution would be to buy a sound bar that connects to the TV and would give you your true HDMI sound. In short there is no way for the sound being fed to the TV HDMI port to get to the stereo. Most Stereos are connected with RCA cables and not HDMI cable You would need to convert the HDMI sound to RCA analog.
This is true if he wants to use the stereo for the sound. The original post said he wasn't getting sound from the Tv. If a device is connected directly to the Tv via HDMI and the Tv is set up with that HDMI port as the source then the sound should come thrum the Tv. If the source is connected to the stereo then that would be different depending on whether or not the HDMI ports on the stereo are pass thru or not.
Old 09-12-2018, 01:12 PM   #10
Carrottop

My bad I misread the post. I would agree it is most likely a faulty HDMI cable or ultimately a faulty HDMI jack on the TV.
2015 Nissan Armada 5.6
2021 Keystone Residence 40FLFT
Carrottop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 06:54 AM   #11
ChuckS

It would seem that any TV with HDMI port will pass both video and audio. But many older stereo units don’t have ability to pass audio and video thru their HDMI ports , only video and and then spectate RCA for left and right audio is used. I’d think TV has HDMI 2.1 Spec and not older 1.4 spec. I’d be swapping out HDMI cables and make sure TV input is set to HDMI.

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 08:06 AM   #12
bbells

I agree with checking your audio settings on the TV. I had a TV that was set by default to make the music very loud and the dialogue almost unhearable when on HDMI. Changing the settings fixed it. If that or a new cable don't fix it, simply copy your movies to your PC using Handbrake or Super and use that. Although, TV's are cheap.
bbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 08:58 PM   #13
cookinwitdiesel

I purchased a Furrion DV3300 as an upgrade to the DV3100 that my trailer came with. I did this for pretty much one reason, HDMI. The DV3300 adds an HDMI port with ARC (Audio Return Channel). My TV (summit 32") also has an ARC enabled HDMI interface. I connect this to the Furrion.

What this then allows, is for me to attach other HDMI devices to the TV (it has 3 inputs) and have the sound from those other devices be output over the RV speakers via the Furrion instead of using the TV speakers.

I plan to use an Nvidia Shield with USB hard drive attached to play my Blu-Ray rip library when traveling (about 300 movies on a 10 TB USB Drive). I actually still need to validate this setup, but it all checks out technically to me.
(OLD) 2018 Keystone Hideout 28RKS Travel Trailer
cookinwitdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote