Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 12-02-2018, 12:07 PM   #21
pdaniel

Interesting conversation concerning Ford TPMS. My 2016 Ram 3500 indicates the pressure in each tire rather than displaying a code. A tire rotation only needs a couple of miles for the pressures to reset on the display.
pdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 12:13 PM   #22
Ccsluke

I had the same issue with my 18. Had to pressurize tires above 75psi to get the TPM to reset.
Ccsluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 12:38 PM   #23
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdaniel View Post
Interesting conversation concerning Ford TPMS. My 2016 Ram 3500 indicates the pressure in each tire rather than displaying a code. A tire rotation only needs a couple of miles for the pressures to reset on the display.
Ford TPMS does not indicate individual pressures, but like the RAM system, it is "supposed to reset itself automatically" after tire rotation. Some people either don't want to wait until the system resets or they have the tool and want to justify the purchase (me). The only time I use the tool without letting the automatic reset do its thing is in the spring/fall when I change from summer tires to winter tires. I have 2 sets of wheels and two sets of TPMS valve stems, so I just reset them when I change the wheels rather than fidget with the auto system which occasionally won't recognize a different frequency valve stem and won't reset. So I just do it with the tool to save time and frustration, especially if it's already cold and there's ice on the roads. I don't like playing around with tires when the wheel wells are filled with sandy, icy CRUD.....

In those cases, it's a matter of doing the following:

1. Press and release the brake pedal
2. Turn the ignition on/off 3 times ending in on.
3. The horn will sound and instrument panel will read, "TRAIN LF TIRE"
4. Go to the LF tire, hold the tool next to the valve stem and press/release the button. Horn will sound once within 6 seconds.
5. Move to RF tire, hold tool next to valve stem and repeat. Horn will sound within 6 seconds.
6. Move to RR tire, repeat and horn will sound within 6 seconds,
7. Move to LR tire, repeat and horn will sound within 6 seconds.
8. Process complete.

Note: There is a 2 minute timer in the CPU. If there is no activity for 2 minutes, the system will reset and stop the training process and it must be initiated again with the ignition switch process. As long as there is less than 2 minutes between each valve stem, the system will stay in "train mode"...

FlyingAroundRV,

If you think setting up the TPMS train mode is "strange switchology" wait until you have to get into the "CPU read only mode" or the "CPU test mode"... That's when you have to swallow while your left index/middle finger are crossed or the system will make an incorrect entry....

Essentially, just like there's two or three ways to control every dash feature (turn the knob/flip the switch, or press the center touch screen logo or press the voice activate button and tell the CPU to turn on/off/adjust the feature) there are several ways to enter the CPU features. In the shop, the mechanic (now called a technician) plugs in the ROTUNDA laptop and enters the program, in the field, we use the ignition switch, brake pedal, 4 way flasher method and on some (not all) OBD testers there are procedures to enter a few of the CPU programs.

Complicated ??? Yeah, sure is, but it's nice to have a backup means to back up the backup method which is what Ford did with the system.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 02:48 PM   #24
Claudius

Maybe but

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingAroundRV View Post
That has to be the most bizarre reprogramming sequence ever devised! Who dreams up this stuff? It must be some frustrated Microsoft employee. It's like Ctrl/Alt/Delete with a half twist and a gainer thrown in for good measure.
Do you have to pat your head and rub your tummy at the same time? :-)
My 2011-f350 always had an issue not syncing when it was hot out and traveling down the highway. Never found out which one was causing the problem. It always went away after engine restart. Tire shop while fixing a slow leak told me two of them had low batteries. Some months later again issues, low air light and this time all tires were good, even the spare. Did the sequence and all went away. I needed new Tires so i bought Michelins at costco and had new sensors installed at the same time just in case...no more problems so far.
Claudius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 02:58 PM   #25
rss_ty

Smile Easy way to Reset

Drop by your local tire store that offers free air pressure checks - Discount Tire in Tucson reset my TPMS with their "thingee" for free and I got the tires set to the correct air pressure. Life can be grand...
rss_ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 03:06 PM   #26
flybouy
Site Team

In 1985 we bought a brand new Mercury Marquis with all the bells and whistles. We went on vacation and driving down the highway around Dunkirk, NY the car went crazy. Found a Ford dealer and they took us right in. They had 4 guys looking at it and more wires, hoses and machines hooked up than a patient in a critical care ward. They call Ford in Detroit to get help. One old mechanic chewing on a cold cigar yelled out "shut it off!". He took out the channel locks from his overalls and tightened up the battery cable on the starter solenoid. He said he saw it spark just before it took another fit. Drove the 300+ miles home with no issue but I could hear his advice in my head "don't use the cigarette lighter because if you blow out the fuse it'll stop the engine". I think of that when I read these type posts and the ones about LED lights causing tv interference.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 03:19 PM   #27
JRTJH
Site Team

Used to be you could set the points, adjust the timing with a timing light triggered off the #1 spark plug and then use a common screwdriver to adjust the carburetor richness screws with one hand on the fender. When the fender was "smoothest" without any vibration, that was the best carb setting. Reinstall the air cleaner and go for a ride. No need to buckle up (no seat belts) and leave the window down in town, so you could signal with your left arm (no turn signals either)... Brake lights? I never had a car without them, even the 39 3 window coupe had a single tail/brake light above the license plate. That went with the starter switch next to the accelerator and the dimmer switch next to the clutch. Grand old cars with no power steering and a steering wheel the size of a wagon wheel... cars that you could work on as long as you had a shade tree...... Not any longer......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 03:55 PM   #28
flybouy
Site Team

Yup, I remember my uncle behind the wheel of my dad's '55 Ford Skyliner stomping on the high beam floor switch and cursing because the engine wouldn't start. Now I don't turn my headlights on as they come on automatically. Automation is great but God help today's generation if it doesn't work!
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 09:53 AM   #29
cavediver

Yeah they don't make cars the way they used to, thank God. They have no style. But they last much longer. I came from that age.
cavediver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford