Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-17-2019, 06:52 PM   #21
Rubicon100

I'm glad I found this thread, last fall I noticed a small bubble in the slide roof.
I'm out of warranty now but I made a small drip tray after reading about the problem. The bubble is really small, maybe a 2x2" spot and it isn't sticking up very high. Should I just keep an eye on it or is there any suggestion on how to repair the bubble? We bought the camper two years ago this March and have had pretty good luck with it, just some small issues we were able to fix but this one bothers me.
Any recommendations are appreciated. Dan
2017 2670bh pulling with a 2012 Silverado crew cab 4x4 with the factory tow package. Upgraded to 3.73,s after market trans cooler. All fluids changed to valvolene synthetic. Air lift 2000 bags and an equalizer 4 point hitch.
Rubicon100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 10:26 AM   #22
6.2 Superduty

I just discovered my slide motor leaking and damaging roof. 2018 bullet purchased 18 months ago. Will see what dealer has to say about it.
Old 11-10-2019, 12:24 PM   #23
Vet4jdc

For anyone interested, Balco will send a Keystone owner drip pans free of charge if you call and ask for them. Easy to install yourself. They sent me three on request.
Old 11-10-2019, 12:31 PM   #24
skids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vet4jdc View Post
For anyone interested, Balco will send a Keystone owner drip pans free of charge if you call and ask for them. Easy to install yourself. They sent me three on request.
Do you have a phone number or contact?
Old 11-10-2019, 02:38 PM   #25
Vet4jdc

Quote:
Originally Posted by skids View Post
Do you have a phone number or contact?
Norco Industries Plate
3300 Reedy Drive
Elkhart, IN 46514-7665

Phone number is 574-262-3400
Old 11-10-2019, 03:05 PM   #26
skids

Quote:
Norco Industries Plate
3300 Reedy Drive
Elkhart, IN 46514-7665

Phone number is 574-262-3400
Excellent! Thanks
Old 11-10-2019, 04:16 PM   #27
Vet4jdc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubicon100 View Post
I'm glad I found this thread, last fall I noticed a small bubble in the slide roof.
I'm out of warranty now but I made a small drip tray after reading about the problem. The bubble is really small, maybe a 2x2" spot and it isn't sticking up very high. Should I just keep an eye on it or is there any suggestion on how to repair the bubble? We bought the camper two years ago this March and have had pretty good luck with it, just some small issues we were able to fix but this one bothers me.
Any recommendations are appreciated. Dan
I would cover the 2x2 spot with Eterna-Bond tape since you are probably out of warranty. Then install a drip pan to prevent further damage. Just my 2 cents.
Old 11-11-2019, 12:43 PM   #28
Rubicon100

Quote:
I would cover the 2x2 spot with Eterna-Bond tape since you are probably out of warranty. Then install a drip pan to prevent further damage. Just my 2 cents.
Already done. Thanks.
Rubicon100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 12:53 PM   #29
GilaElkHunter

I have my 2019 Montana HC 310RE in at service center to have this fixed and am being told that Keystone says they will pay for repair, but their idea of repair is 1. to install drip pans, and 2. put some tape such as eternabond on the bubbles.. I do not think this is acceptable. I didn't spend that much $$ to have a patched roof in 9 months, and I also don't like the idea of the tape running back and forth under the slide seals. I have told the service manager that I don't like that, and he says that is all keystone will pay for and that I should call keystone. I tend to get mad and fly off the handle. How do I express this to Keystone without both of us getting pissed and I don't get what I am after?
GilaElkHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 12:56 PM   #30
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaElkHunter View Post
I have my 2019 Montana HC 310RE in at service center to have this fixed and am being told that Keystone says they will pay for repair, but their idea of repair is 1. to install drip pans, and 2. put some tape such as eternabond on the bubbles.. I do not think this is acceptable. I didn't spend that much $$ to have a patched roof in 9 months, and I also don't like the idea of the tape running back and forth under the slide seals. I have told the service manager that I don't like that, and he says that is all keystone will pay for and that I should call keystone. I tend to get mad and fly off the handle. How do I express this to Keystone without both of us getting pissed and I don't get what I am after?

Odds are you not going to get a new slide roof. I wouldn’t call them, I’d send an email so it’s documented and there isn’t any question about what was said.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 01:16 PM   #31
GilaElkHunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Odds are you not going to get a new slide roof. I wouldn’t call them, I’d send an email so it’s documented and there isn’t any question about what was said.
Thanks Chuckster
Not what I wanted to hear, but I might try the e-mail suggestion first. I am kinda old school in that I would rather talk to someone, but now days nobody does that, and understand I might need the paper trail.
Old 02-29-2020, 01:33 PM   #32
JRTJH
Site Team

You're dealing with three "entities" with this issue. First is the dealership, second is Keystone and third is the slide motor/slide mechanism manufacturer.

The dealer's hands are tied for the most part. Keystone isn't going to spend money to repair an issue caused by one of their contractors and the contractor isn't going to "jump to the front waving a checkbook" as long as Keystone is taking the heat....

So, for the most part, Keystone will "authorize what the motor manufacturer will pay for".... Your "beef" isn't with Keystone as much as it is with the slide mechanism manufacturer...

In "the auto industry" Ford would "suck up the repair cost" and backbill the sub-contractor... This isn't the "auto industry" …..

Then, if you think about the Takata Air Bag issue, all the auto manufacturers are "waiting for replacements" because the entire industry was "screwed by Takata".... I can't begin to count the number of cars driving around with "questionable air bags" that will never be properly repaired, partly because Ford, GM, Toyota won't pay and partly because the issue isn't "front burner any more"....

With Keystone, who knows if they will buy you a new slide roof, but in reality, it's the slide motor manufacturer that's got you where you are, not Keystone.... Will they pay? Who knows ???

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 02:06 PM   #33
GilaElkHunter

I do put the blame on keystone because apparently this has been going on for quite some time (a few years) and they are still using defective gearboxes. Yes the manufacture should have fixed the seals but keystone should have quit using them. In the auto industry if your brand new truck were leaking oil would you just buy a drip pan to put under it all the time? NO. But we are not talking about the auto industry we seem to be talking about an industry that can get away with sub-par quality.
Old 02-29-2020, 02:31 PM   #34
JRTJH
Site Team

I understand your frustration, but I suppose what I tried to get across (and apparently didn't) is that you're "caught between three entities" all pointing fingers at the other two. I'd be very surprised if you get anything more than what the dealership has already told you. Calling, cussing, fussing and demanding don't usually work with Keystone.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 04:37 PM   #35
6.2 Superduty

Sorry I didn't update my slide roof problem. 2018 Bullet.I took a picture to my dealer they sent it to Keystone and was authorized a new slide roof. Everyone is treated differently.
Old 02-29-2020, 04:48 PM   #36
MarkEHansen

I really think it's up to how the dealer treats it. They have a lot of pull with Keystone. If this is warranty work, I wonder if you can find another dealer - if you can't get this one to get you the deal you want?
Old 02-29-2020, 06:24 PM   #37
GilaElkHunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I understand your frustration, but I suppose what I tried to get across (and apparently didn't) is that you're "caught between three entities" all pointing fingers at the other two. I'd be very surprised if you get anything more than what the dealership has already told you. Calling, cussing, fussing and demanding don't usually work with Keystone.
I totally understand what you were saying, which is why I originally asked how to talk to them to get my point across without the cussing and fussing that doesn't work. I will e-mail tomorrow and see where it goes from there.
Old 02-29-2020, 06:29 PM   #38
GilaElkHunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.2 Superduty View Post
Sorry I didn't update my slide roof problem. 2018 Bullet.I took a picture to my dealer they sent it to Keystone and was authorized a new slide roof. Everyone is treated differently.
You are right in saying everyone is treated differently, It doesn't make sense that they replace for some and only repair for some, and I have read where some only get a good cleaning and maybe drip pans. Congrats on getting them to replace yours.
Old 02-29-2020, 06:47 PM   #39
chuckster57
Site Team

An email allows you to edit it as many times as you need to get your point across without possibly offending someone from the start. You can’t take back anything spoken.

Having been in this industry for a few days, I can tell you that sometimes the customer has more weight with the factory than the dealer, and I have seen the dealer do better. Take your time, write your email. Read it and change it if your not happy with it, I wish you all the best for a favorable outcome.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 08:49 PM   #40
GaryUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaElkHunter View Post
Had the same problem on our 2019 Laredo fifth wheel. Keystones authorized this on my trailer:

1 Clean the oil off with alcohol.
2 Use a heat gun to soften the membrane and press it down to remove the bubble.
3 Apply a 6" strip of eternabond the entire width of the slide.
4 Replace the gearbox and motor and install drip pan.

Gary

2019 Laredo 255SRL
2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab
GaryUT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, roof, slide