Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 11-01-2018, 07:58 AM   #1
tundrwd

Fridge just doens't get very cold - manual no help

My question is this:

I have a 2016 Keystone Bullet 274BHS model with, I believe a Dometic "1/2 or 2/3" refrigerator.

Looking at the manual for an temp adjustment shows a knob that is "near the freezer". I can find no such knob. And while it shows a picture of the knob - it has no picture of WHERE the sucker is supposed to be located.

Looking in the fridge - there's a sticker on the right side, at the top that shows a "sliding" scale of "Warmer/Colder" - but nothing near it either.

There is what appears to be a temp probe that comes out of the right side, near the middle towards the back on a "semi-rigid" length of "hose" about 8-10" long. At the end, there is a larger knob.

I'm assuming this is a temp probe? I don't understand the sticker at the top, are they suggesting putting the probe towards the bottom of the fridge to make it colder, higher makes it warmer (which seems 180 degrees of what I think it should be...)? This "temp probe" is now loose of any attachment, and I'm wondering if traveling may have knocked it loose, or the wife knocked it loose at some point loading the fridge. So - where should this thing actually be attached?

AND - how do I adjust the temp? Open up the access panel on the outside, and from the backside of the fridge?

Before doing anything draconian - I'd like to get this issue resolved first and make sure it's set to a proper temp, etc.
tundrwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 08:52 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Your refrigerator "should be" (you didn't include a brand or model number) a Dometic 2652, two door, LP/electric refrigerator. The internal temperature is controlled by a thermistor that is clipped onto the far right fin on the cooling unit inside the refrigerator section. It looks like the photos I'm adding to this post. If your description of the "semi-rigid length of hose with a larger knob on the end" is the thermistor, then the plastic clip is missing. Locate the plastic clip, install the thermistor "large knob" in the top end of the plastic clip, install it on the "far right fin" and slide it up/down to adjust the internal temperature of the refrigerator. There is no adjustment for freezer temperature.

If parts are missing or if the thermistor is damaged/doesn't work after you install it properly, then you may have a defective thermistor. Replacement is straight forward, once you obtain the parts.

Here are the photos:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DOMETIC THERMISTOR.jpg
Views:	1104
Size:	12.1 KB
ID:	19137   Click image for larger version

Name:	DOMETIC THERMISTOR LOCATION.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	180.2 KB
ID:	19138  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 09:05 AM   #3
tundrwd

AHA! Yeah, not sure of the model. I think that's on a plate on the back of the fridge (if I recall). Yeah - the clip is sitting in what seems to be the "defrost" tray for the fins, so it got knocked loose.

I'll clip it back on this Saturday and test it - see how it goes.

Many thanks!
Old 11-01-2018, 09:21 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

No problem. I hope it works for you. Let us know the results. Something else you might want to check is the drain hose in the back of the refrigerator. The tray located under the fins (where you found your clip laying) has a molded drain on the left side. Behind your refrigerator, buried way up where you can barely see it and hardly get a hand in to reach it, is a corrugated 1/2" hose that is supposed to be placed in one of the vent slots in the lower refrigerator vent. The end of the hose has a cap with 3 tiny holes that allow water out but won't allow ants or wasps in. If the cap is missing, there's a "clear shot straight to your refrigerator interior.....

That corrugated hose has a long history of becoming brittle and falling into tiny pieces over a 4 or 5 year period. If the hose fails, you can flood the rear compartment behind your refrigerator and rot the floor. So, when you're waiting to see if the thermistor works, take a quick look at the drain hose......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 11-01-2018, 10:21 AM   #5
tundrwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
No problem. I hope it works for you. Let us know the results. Something else you might want to check is the drain hose in the back of the refrigerator. The tray located under the fins (where you found your clip laying) has a molded drain on the left side. Behind your refrigerator, buried way up where you can barely see it and hardly get a hand in to reach it, is a corrugated 1/2" hose that is supposed to be placed in one of the vent slots in the lower refrigerator vent. The end of the hose has a cap with 3 tiny holes that allow water out but won't allow ants or wasps in. If the cap is missing, there's a "clear shot straight to your refrigerator interior.....

That corrugated hose has a long history of becoming brittle and falling into tiny pieces over a 4 or 5 year period. If the hose fails, you can flood the rear compartment behind your refrigerator and rot the floor. So, when you're waiting to see if the thermistor works, take a quick look at the drain hose......
Checked it a month ago (didn't get pics of the model/serial# plate, etc.), and it seems ok. Not plugged up, no wasp nests, etc.

I need to start using my phone to take pics and make my own manual. The supplied manuals are a complete joke. And most of the time - they don't even describe the equipment I actually have. At best - I get a "one of 3 or 4" and you have to figure out which is which, and it NEVER seems to actually match up exactly to the "3 or 4" they have in the manual.
Old 11-01-2018, 10:24 AM   #6
thatdjguy

Some people use a small battery fan to circulate the air...somebody else smarter than I can explain why that works!
thatdjguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 12:29 PM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

The “battery” fan sits inside the fridge, mine is on the tray under the fins. It simply moves the air around like a household fridge.

Depending on the placement of the fridge (in a slide) there are fans on the backside to help move air over the cooling unit. I added one to help the fridge when it’s hot weather.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 04:51 PM   #8
tundrwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatdjguy View Post
Some people use a small battery fan to circulate the air...somebody else smarter than I can explain why that works!
Yeah - but that only works when you've got space inside to move air. My wife PACKS the fridge so tight the mustard dies of oxygen deprivation.
Old 11-03-2018, 04:55 PM   #9
tundrwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
No problem. I hope it works for you. Let us know the results.
Finally got to check it today. I'm going to have to "glue" the thermistor to the plastic with some silicone or something. Just slides off. So I taped it temporarily and place it fairly far down the fin on the right side. Checked 3 hours later and was 40 degrees.

Moved it up about 1.5", checked a couple hours later - now 35 degrees. Was cooler today, but I think that's got it and it's now working better.

Thanks again!
Old 11-03-2018, 05:23 PM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

GOOD DEAL !!!! Happy Camping !!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 11-03-2018, 05:23 PM   #11
chuckster57
Site Team

You might try pulling on the thermistor lightly, there may be slack on the backside that’s not allowing it to stay in the holder. Glad it’s working better.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge