Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 04-13-2015, 02:19 PM   #1
SummitPond

Light over kitchen sink in a Premier 19FBPR

We have a relatively new (December, 2014) Premier 19FBPR and recently had some warranty work done on it. One of the major items was the light over the kitchen sink (a plastic encased LED that is turned on and off by pressing the casing); it is extremely difficult to use. Even the dealership maintenance guys have a problem with it. Yet they say it is the manufacturer's issue to fix, not theirs. Or they state I should just put in an aftermarket light with a rocker switch (which they will be very happy to sell and install).

Does anyone else have issues with their light of this type?

We are discussing our options. One thought is to go back to the dealer and find another trailer with the same type of light and see if it is that difficult to work. If it is, then it is a poor choice for inclusion into the trailer by the manufacturer, and I'll attempt to pursue a remedy with Keystone. However, if it works easily, shouldn't the dealer get a new part as this one is faulty and put it in?

Thanks for the feedback.

Ken
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 06:16 PM   #2
GaryWT

If it is broken or not working properly then your dealer needs to step up. I agree that if it is just difficult because of the fixture or it's location then there is not much to do other than change it. Good luck.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 07:35 PM   #3
michael_h

if you're having problems with the dealer side stepping the problem, ask for the factory rep number or write to the support people thru the Keystone website. My dealer has been great helping me with my 19 footer problems and so has the keystone reps

You shouldn't have to put up with a device that's "difficult to operate" IMO
2013 Premier 19RBPR

2016 Cougar 26RBI
michael_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 11:29 AM   #4
SummitPond

I'll take a picture and post it so you can see what I am talking about.

Yes, the light works, but my wife broke a fingernail trying to get it to switch on (she succeeded once) and another turning it off. We'll attempt another go at slightly higher management types at the dealer (a Camper World) and see what their response is.

Thanks for your replies.

Ken
Old 04-14-2015, 04:20 PM   #5
koko

I would say that if it's difficult to turn on and off, then it's broken. We have that light over our sink and have no problem with it at all.

2017 Jayco Melbourne 24k-Jeep Wrangler
2013 Bullet Premier 19FBPR-Dodge Durango V8 Hemi
2013 Rpod 177HRE-Jeep Liberty
2011 Aliner Sport-Jeep Cherokee
2008 Little Guy 5^Wide-Toyota Avalon
1980 Shasta 21-GMC Suburban
1981 Coleman Tent Camper-1981 Dodge Ramcharger
1978 VW Westfalia
Lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 06:39 PM   #6
RFM

Light probleme

Whel i have a26' Premier, and the light under the microwave is a puch light. It is hard to push on off, i realissed that if i press in the exact center of ficture it works better, but I agree it is a bad light for pressing ussing under pushing withour seeing were light is exacly.
RFM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 06:15 PM   #7
B-O-B'03

I have the same light in our 22RBPR and it is hard to turn on too.

I thought it was broken at first and called my dealer and they sent me a new one.

When I took the cover off to remove it, I saw the little switch and pushed it and the light came on, so I put the cover back on and if you push the little circle on the cover it does work, just not very easily.

I was thinking about using the light board, from the the new one they sent me, in the vent-a-hood, that sucker is BRIGHT.

-Brian
Old 04-18-2015, 04:40 AM   #8
SummitPond

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShacterShack View Post
I'll take a picture and post it so you can see what I am talking about.

Yes, the light works, but my wife broke a fingernail trying to get it to switch on (she succeeded once) and another turning it off. We'll attempt another go at slightly higher management types at the dealer (a Camper World) and see what their response is.

Thanks for your replies.

Ken
Here are two pictures of the light. One is from the underside (look for the small bump in the lower center for the place to push to turn on/off) and the other is from the side (again, the on/off location is about the center of the light towards the front, looking like a small bump).

Edit change: For some reason the pictures didn't get attached. I'm including the links below. Hopefully this works!
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9d...ew?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9d...ew?usp=sharing
Old 04-18-2015, 04:42 AM   #9
SummitPond

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-O-B'03 View Post

I thought it was broken at first and called my dealer and they sent me a new one.

When I took the cover off to remove it, I saw the little switch and pushed it and the light came on, so I put the cover back on and if you push the little circle on the cover it does work, just not very easily.

I was thinking about using the light board, from the the new one they sent me, in the vent-a-hood, that sucker is BRIGHT.

-Brian
Brian

How do you remove the lens cover without breaking it? I gave it a quick try earlier but it was difficult, and I didn't want to overdo it lest I break it.

Thanks.

Ken
Old 04-18-2015, 12:42 PM   #10
chuckster57
Site Team

Pictures didn't make it. But if the lights are the ones I'm thinking of, you can use a very small flat blade screwdriver on the edge of the lens near the spot you push. There are 3 or 4 tabs on the lens that fit into slots on the base.

FWIW, I have had some success using a small fine file to remove some of the material on the lens and base so the lens didn't bind. Its worked 3 out of 4 times so far.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 05:21 PM   #11
SummitPond

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Pictures didn't make it. But if the lights are the ones I'm thinking of, you can use a very small flat blade screwdriver on the edge of the lens near the spot you push. There are 3 or 4 tabs on the lens that fit into slots on the base.

FWIW, I have had some success using a small fine file to remove some of the material on the lens and base so the lens didn't bind. Its worked 3 out of 4 times so far.
I re-edited my entry to include URLs; I guess I don't know how to make the link work as envisioned.

Thanks for the hint on removing ... I'll try that.

Ken
Old 04-19-2015, 05:48 PM   #12
chuckster57
Site Team

Your welcome. Yes those are the lights I was referring to.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 10:06 AM   #13
Campingfam23

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-O-B'03 View Post

-Brian
I have the light fixture in our 2015 premiere, I finally got the cover off and tried to push the button in. It doesn't do anything, doesn't click or turn on, the small button is broke. How do I replace that small push button? YouTube and google have been no help, we bought used so I have no dealer to call and ask.
Campingfam23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 10:37 AM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

Although you can probably find a replacement switch on EBay or some electronics supply house website, it's probably cheaper and less "time consuming" to simply buy a similar light fixture and just replace the bad fixture.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
19fbpr, kitchen light