Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-29-2018, 02:28 PM   #1
KennyDean

Winterizing newbie questions

Hello to all,
I have a 2015 cougar 25 rks fifth wheel. Last year I moved it from storage in northern MD to Nashville TN. Was told no need to winterize as the winters aren’t cold enough. Well they were. Took my trailer out for the second time this summer for six weeks and boy did I have problems. Had to replace my kitchen sink fauset, bathroom sink and shower fauset and a part in back of toilet plus the inlet panel where I connect the water hose into my trailer. With that all said I need to winterize my fifth wheel this year correctly. Have watched many u tube videos on how too.
My questions are:
1) where is my water pump located?
2) I took the panel off the inside bottom cabinet of my water heater. But do not see any hoses with valves? My user manual say I have the by pass kit on it?
3) watching the video once they connect the hose on the water pump into the anti freeze bottle and turn on the fauset it looks like a lot of water comes out before it turns pink. Where is that water coming from?
4) is it easy enough for me to attemp this task myself or should I pay to have it done?
After replacing all the parts I said I did I see no more leaks but can’t find the pump?
Anything else I should know before attempting this task.
Thank you
KennyDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 02:57 PM   #2
RagingRobert
Gone Traveling

Sometimes we need to learn the hard way...I've decided to winterize myself as a newbie?...I'm going for the air compressor method blowing the water lines dry. Pretty straight forward according to Keystone/Goggle/U-tube...I hope I don't learn a lesson the hard way...
RagingRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 03:02 PM   #3
Bisjoe

Hopefully someone with your model knows where things are. In my TT the bypass valve is on the inside, on the other side of the water heater, after I remove a panel under the entertainment system. When you turn on the faucet there is water in the lines that has to clear before the pink stuff comes out. You avoid this by blowing air through the system. I prefer to add the antifreeze to the fresh water tank, and run all the faucets until the come out pink. Then drain the gray water tank, and pour down the sink and tub drains, and in the toilet to cover the closed drain. The first time it took me an hour, most tricky part was draining the water heater with the plastic plug at a funny angle. I bought a new plug and special wrench for that on Amazon which made it much easier. Considering what it cost you to repair it, you might want to pay someone if not comfortable with the process. My pump is under the bathtub/shower with an access door on the side.

Bisjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 03:32 PM   #4
KennyDean

Thank u Bishop, yes I hope someone with my same unit can help.
I did not like having to pay for all the fixtures but after replacing I felt good that I could do it. Thought I could save$100 but do understand. Thank you again
Old 08-29-2018, 03:37 PM   #5
KennyDean

RR yes sir after getting a TBI brain injury overseas I seem to learn the hard way.
But want to learn as much as I can. The area RV store said for that area they recommende the anti freeze method but $100 thought I could do it and put the money saved towards the money I spent.
Old 08-30-2018, 05:54 AM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

Don't have your model but if you run the pump you can usually find it by following the noise when it's running.. Typically you will have to remove a panel to get access. I drain all the low point drains, drain the hot water heater, blow out the lines with compressed air, then use the antifreeze thru the water pump. Don't forget any outside showers/fixtures. The water heater bypass is typically on the cold water inlet, it's a valve with a pipe connecting the inlet and outlet water lines. Search this forum, I've seen numerous posts on this subject. Hope this helps.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 06:07 AM   #7
KennyDean

Flybouy
Thank you for your valuable input ! Hoping to learn as much as I can about my trailer. Write down notes in my log book. Want to take it out next year for a three month adventure. I will look at past posts. Safe travels!
Old 08-30-2018, 10:41 AM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

Have fun planning your 3 month excursion and take lots of pictures!
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 10:46 AM   #9
KennyDean

Sure will buddy. Will put the pictures on an album. Raving a lone gets lonely at times but I have noticed rivers are friendly people.
Old 08-30-2018, 11:50 AM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

I agree with flybouy. Just turn it on. I've not had an RV that I couldn't hear the water pump. It will be behind a panel, or in a box....somewhere. Some folks have posted pictures on the forum of them being in some pretty weird places. Mine is under the bathroom sink thankfully....but a tight fit for sure.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 12:25 PM   #11
KennyDean

Sourdough
Thank you, that’s what I will do. I have all the information I need . Watch I think every video on u tube wrote down step by step. Checked it twice and also ordered the kit for the water pump. It will be there when I get there. My kids will buy four gal of rv anti freeze. When the kids go to school I will start will have all day to complete. Excited to do this task. Will let you all know when I have completed the task. Thank you.
Old 09-08-2018, 05:27 AM   #12
Carvendive

Not the same but maybe... 28RKS XL 2017 5th wheel.
I remove the wood trim panel in my storage Bay to get at the back of the water heater and the water pump.
The water heater bypass is on the back of the heater. Pretty easy to see with a flashlight.
When I installed the water pump bypass (I use antifreeze) I ran extra lengths of hose and mounted the bypass near the hot water heater so that I now only need to remove one panel in order to winterize.

I'm an overkill kind of guy. I blow out the system first and then add the antifreeze.
*** Only use 35-40 psi of air ***
The 100+psi from the compressor will cause damage.

Also... You will still need some antifreeze. P-traps for sinks and possibly built in ice makers and the toilet. I leave some in the toilet to keep the flush seal lubricated and to prevent shrinkage, from drying out.
Carvendive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 05:40 AM   #13
Carvendive

One other thing.
I can't tell you how many times I've listened to or helped fix winter freeze problems where the owner tells me it was winterized at the shop.

Do it yourself. The more you do your own maintenance the more pride and joy you will have with camping.

... same thing with wheel bearings. Easy to do and you know they are re loaded with quality grease.
Carvendive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 07:50 PM   #14
Local150

I won't put the pink stuff in the holding tank as the taste and smell linger all season. With hot water bypass no need for that, plus it takes more anti freeze,, I can do my 34 footer with about a gallon and a half
Local150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 07:55 AM   #15
sugarhillctd

I have a 2016 25RKS. I can post some pictures of where you need to look to get the job done if you want.

Let me know.

John
sugarhillctd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 10:11 AM   #16
imapackerback

That's what I did last year (wintering in north Dallas area). Blowing it out worked just fine, but added antifreeze to the p-traps and a touch in the toilet to keep the seal from drying out.

2015 Bullet 248 RKS
imapackerback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 02:55 PM   #17
imenzies76

I used antifreeze last year and it was cold enough to freeze it. Lucky that the lines didn't burst. I will be doing compressed air to blow out the lines from the pump back with all faucets open. I was told by a seasoned camper to adjust your psi to about 30lbs to prevent lines from splitting. It was my first winterizing last year and found a bunch of info from this forum and youtube videos. Good luck.
imenzies76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 05:20 PM   #18
RagingRobert
Gone Traveling

I'll be first time winterizing myself after the Thanksgiving long weekend up here in cold Canada. I'm going to do as #12....blow out everything first then add the antifreeze via the water pump. @#17...you must of diluted the antifreeze with some water still in the lines for it to freeze. I heard straight antifreeze will go slushy but not freeze solid. The stuff I bought is good until -50 Celsius apparently...we get cold up here in Toronto but not that cold
Old 09-13-2018, 07:59 PM   #19
Jmill8

Here in Pacific NW it doesn't get very cold usually. I blow out lines, drain low points, pour AF in drains and toilet. Been doing this for many years and no freeze problems.
Jmill8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 01:14 AM   #20
RagingRobert
Gone Traveling

It makes sense to just blow out the lines in certain climates. Antifreeze in colder areas will help keep the pump, valves, and faucets lubricated.

Tags
newbie, winter, winterizing