Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 06-15-2017, 08:42 AM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

If you're only interested in "charging batteries" sometimes, usually mid morning and late afternoon, then you really don't need a 3000/3500 watt generator. There are several inverter generators which provide 1600/1700 watts, can be "coupled" if you decide later on that you want more power, are significantly more efficient and less noise. If you look around, shop wisely, you can often find the Champion 2000 watt inverter generator for $397 (that's what I paid for my second unit last Christmas) and they regularly sell for about $429 with free shipping/no sales tax.

That's only about $100 more than you're going to pay for a "construction generator" that operates at "full speed" all the time, is noisy, consumes more gas and is significantly heavier.

If you can't afford the Champion (or a competitive brand) 3100 watt generator, I'd urge you to consider the Champion 2000 watt generator with the thought that next year or later, if you need or want to upgrade, you won't have a "used construction generator" that you can't sell to get your money out of it, but you'd have invested in the "first half" of your "final system". Many of us have Champion 2000 watt (two generator system) and it will power an entire 30 amp trailer without problems. Many others have the Champion 3100 inverter system and are very satisfied with how it powers their A/C and some other equipment. The 2000 watt inverter generator would serve you well to charge batteries, make a pot of coffee, watch some TV in the evening and still be a "good neighbor" in the campground.

I don't know of very many people who use "construction generators" for primary power and are satisfied with the noise output, although they don't have any issues with performance. No doubt, there are some, probably some on this forum, but I wouldn't think they have "happy neighbors" in any campground.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 09:37 AM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

I just did a quick internet search and found the Champion 2000 watt generator on sale for $399. Shipping to Zip Code 36908 is $15.45 making the total $415.44. Here's the link to that store. It's where I bought one of my generators and they provided good service. I have no connections with the store other than being a customer. https://www.farmandfleet.com/product...generator.html

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 08-12-2017, 04:06 PM   #13
sleeepr

nellie1289 mentioned the 3100 Champion from Costco for 600. Did a search, and they don't have it listed. They do have a Firman, slightly smaller in the $400s. I can get the Champion 3100 inverter from my local Orschlen (farm & ranch supply) for $819. It sounds like a dependable unit, 58db reasonably quiet. Is the Firman made by Champion? Similarities in packaging.
sleeepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 05:50 PM   #14
RLM5150

I echo the sentiments expressed by others. If you only need to keep your batteries charged, get the Champion 2000. Your batteries won't charge any faster with a larger unit.

I have a Champion 3100 and have been very pleased with it.
RLM5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 09:35 PM   #15
CaptnJohn

Thinking of ordering this one Monday to mount in the truck bed... Comments please!

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/produ..._ref=prd909433

2017 Montana HC 370BR
2016 F350 6.7 4X4
Edgewater 205 EX Yamaha 150
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 07:03 AM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
Thinking of ordering this one Monday to mount in the truck bed... Comments please!

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/produ..._ref=prd909433
We have the 4000/3500 watt version of that generator (without the flag emblems). It is not a generator that's going to be "welcomed in the campground" by your neighbors. If you camp away from crowds, then nobody will be "offended" but if you frequent campgrounds that are relatively crowded, it's going to get you some comments from your neighbors. We used ours for a couple of years. We dry camp in the state and nation forests and usually not in campgrounds, so we were "long distances" from anyone that might be annoyed by the noise and we stopped using it because we got tired of the noise. We now have Champion inverter generators and they are much "easier on the ear".... Our "contractor generator is now a backup for the house standby generator and I'm much happier with the inverter generators for our dry camping.

The one in the link you posted is not an inverter generator, rather a "contractor generator" and is LOUD !!! It's not as loud as "some contractor generators" but it's produces much more noise than most inverter generators. It runs at 3600 RPM all the time, produces "unregulated/unfiltered" AC power and may not be "good for sensitive electronics". Filled with fuel and oil it's going to weigh in about 120 pounds, is too tall to sit in the pickup box behind the fifth wheel hitch, so you'll be lifting it over the hitch to travel. It's heavy and awkward, but doable if you have help moving it in and out of the truck.

Will it power your trailer? Short answer, yes it will.

Will you be "happy" with the noise and fuel usage? Short answer, probably not.

Will your campground neighbors smile? Short answer, HECK NO !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 08-13-2017, 07:05 AM   #17
CaptnJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
We have the 4000/3500 watt version of that generator (without the flag emblems). It is not a generator that's going to be "welcomed in the campground" by your neighbors. If you camp away from crowds, then nobody will be "offended" but if you frequent campgrounds that are relatively crowded, it's going to get you some comments from your neighbors. We used ours for a couple of years. We dry camp in the state and nation forests and usually not in campgrounds, so we were "long distances" from anyone that might be annoyed by the noise and we stopped using it because we got tired of the noise. We now have Champion inverter generators and they are much "easier on the ear".... Our "contractor generator is now a backup for the house standby generator and I'm much happier with the inverter generators for our dry camping.

The one in the link you posted is not an inverter generator, rather a "contractor generator" and is LOUD !!! It's not as loud as "some contractor generators" but it's produces much more noise than most inverter generators. It runs at 3600 RPM all the time, produces "unregulated/unfiltered" AC power and may not be "good for sensitive electronics".

Will it power your trailer? Short answer, yes it will.

Will you be "happy" with the noise and fuel usage? Short answer, probably not.

Will your campground neighbors smile? Short answer, HECK NO !!!!!

Thanks and will be watching sales for an inverter model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 Montana HC 370BR
2016 F350 6.7 4X4
Edgewater 205 EX Yamaha 150
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote