Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 11-04-2019, 06:07 PM   #1
Viet_Vet

is there any way to remotely monitor the propane level

*Meant to ask if there is any way to remote monitor the propane level*

My 5er is parked behind my house, about 50 feet away. I'm not winterizing it, as we are hitting the road in a month. For this reason, I have run electric and set my thermostat for 55°. I do have the arctic package.

My concern is this: how do I know how.much propane is in the tank? Right now I am going each evening and checking that my tank isn't empty by turning on the stove.

There must be something reasonably priced that can alert me as to when my tank is low. Whether it's a simple sticker on the side of the tank, or a bluetooth system that sends an alert to my phone, as long as it works I'll be happy.

I'd like to hear from anyone that has something like this with your feedback regarding price and reliability

Thank you in advance.
Viet_Vet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 06:11 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

5vr? Does it not have 2 LP tanks and a regulator (which will normally tell you the status of a tank)? There is no need to have to fire up the stove every day to see if you have propane.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 06:14 PM   #3
Viet_Vet

Thank you for your response. It has two tanks and a regulator, but nothing that tells me how much propane is left in my tanks.
If you can't fly with the eagles, go peck s**t with the chickens!
Viet_Vet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 06:21 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

I use the regulator. It points to the tank it is using and either shows clear or red; clear means there is LP in the tank, red means it is empty and running on the other tank. I leave both tanks open all the time so that it automatically changes tanks; some like to leave the operational tank open and the other closed and then open the 2nd tank when the propane stops running. I monitor my regulator periodically and when it turns red I refill the empty tank after it has automatically switched to the full tank. I don't worry about using the stove, the regulator tells me.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 07:01 PM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

I use Mopeka tank sensors on my tanks. Bluetooth transmits to a phone app. Works great for me as the tanks are behind a panel that's a PIA to get to.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 07:05 PM   #6
Brent M

I have one of these and it works great.

mopeka.com
Brent M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 08:04 PM   #7
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I use the regulator. It points to the tank it is using and either shows clear or red; clear means there is LP in the tank, red means it is empty and running on the other tank. I leave both tanks open all the time so that it automatically changes tanks; some like to leave the operational tank open and the other closed and then open the 2nd tank when the propane stops running. I monitor my regulator periodically and when it turns red I refill the empty tank after it has automatically switched to the full tank. I don't worry about using the stove, the regulator tells me.
X2
On a 5er way too easy to check via the regulator. We full time, but have the "Cheap Heat" electric option on our furnace, so we typically run the furnace on electric and a tank of propane last about a month. We only use propane for cooking and heating water.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 05:06 AM   #8
+Ruff Rider
Gone Traveling

There is no way to tell if you have gas in the tank. Even a pressure gauge wont tell if you are running low. I have seen temperature stickers on gas tanks but those only work if you are using lots of gas and the side of the tank gets cold. Why are you using any gas in the RV if you aren't staying in it?
+Ruff Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 05:23 AM   #9
SummitPond

[QUOTE=Viet_Vet;365591]*Meant to ask if there is any way to remote monitor the propane level*

I believe the mopeka mentioned above has been "reviewed" elsewhere on this forum. Amazon has them at a "reasonable" price.

I rely on the fail-over regulator and check its indicator periodically as we don't use all that much gas.

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 07:49 AM   #10
travelin texans

First thing, the "artic package" is merely a sales phrase. Yours is not any more cold weather proof than most any of the others. It means basically the underneath is covered & has a layer of reflex above that covering plus a 2" furnace duct blowing into the that space near the tanks. Don't count on it withstanding extreme cold temps due to the "artic package".
If you're using auxillary electric heat, set the thermostat on the furnace to about 45- 50 degrees so it comes on once the electric can't keep up, this will keep the lines warm with furnace with duct blowing underneath & inside warm with electric. Open the cabinet doors that have plumbing behind them.
Firing up the stove EVERY evening is only using more gas.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 04:26 AM   #11
mcmeadows1

Another recommendation here for the Mopeka Tank Check Dual Sensor with Monitor Kit. It is currently $69.94 (US) on Amazon. In addition to the remote monitor, which I mounted above our RV’s control panel, the sensors connect, via Bluetooth, to Mopeka’s Tank Check app on our iPhones and iPads.

The transmit range of the sensors is truly impressive. It is certainly much more than the 30 feet specified by Bluetooth specifications. I estimate we can get a reliable signal out to at least fifty or sixty feet from the sensors.

Within the settings portion of the app, after one sets the size of each tank, one can set the level at which the app will give a low propane alarm for each tank. I have set the threshold at 30%. When the propane level drops to this percentage, the app will automatically provide an alert on all of our devices.

Within the app, it appears the indicated percentage of propane left in each tank is quite accurate. As for the remote monitor, it is accurate for 20 lb tanks. For 30 lb tanks, like the ones we have in our 5th wheels, the monitor isn’t accurate until the propane level drops to about 50%.

The only downside to the system is how quickly the sensors go through batteries (CR2032). I find they last about six to eight months. However, when purchased in packs of six (or more) on Amazon they are relatively inexpensive. Also, they are not difficult to replace.

Finally, I recommend Mopeka’s Tank Halo for each tank. These mount to the bottom of each tank and provide enough clearance for the sensors to fit on the bottom of the tanks without being ‘squished.’ The halos work much, much better than the aluminum spacers which come with the sensor kit.

Good luck, with whatever route you choose!

Marty
mcmeadows1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 05:38 AM   #12
flybouy
Site Team

The APproducts is a Mopeka sensor sold under their name. If you don't need the monitor and use the phone app then this is what you can order from Amazon (price is Prime member).
AP Products 024-1002 Propane Tank Gas Level Indicator
by AP Products
3.7 out of 5 stars 119 ratings | 47 answered questions
List Price: $90.40
Price: $56.34 Today by 10PM

As mcmeadows1 recommended the tank halo is well worth the money. The Ap version supplies small rubber tank standoffs and Mopeka supplies aluminium ones. Either one will fall off when you remove the tank or when the person that fills the tank drags the bottom of the tank around.
Old 11-06-2019, 03:43 PM   #13
slow

I came across this video:
It talks about an issue with the thicker generation 2 sensor's rubber pad failing and how the thinner generation 3 sensor resolved the issue. Any members have any insights on this issue? Also, which version is currently available on Amazon.ca?
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 08:20 AM   #14
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viet_Vet View Post
*Meant to ask if there is any way to remote monitor the propane level*

My 5er is parked behind my house, about 50 feet away. I'm not winterizing it, as we are hitting the road in a month. For this reason, I have run electric and set my thermostat for 55°. I do have the arctic package.

My concern is this: how do I know how.much propane is in the tank? Right now I am going each evening and checking that my tank isn't empty by turning on the stove.

There must be something reasonably priced that can alert me as to when my tank is low. Whether it's a simple sticker on the side of the tank, or a bluetooth system that sends an alert to my phone, as long as it works I'll be happy.

I'd like to hear from anyone that has something like this with your feedback regarding price and reliability

Thank you in advance.
Mopeka which is also available on amazon comes standard with bluetooth but now has a new wifi option as well, but of course your RV will need to have a powered on router.
sonofcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 08:23 AM   #15
ObiRich

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I use Mopeka tank sensors on my tanks. Bluetooth transmits to a phone app. Works great for me as the tanks are behind a panel that's a PIA to get to.
I'll second the Mopeka. I have a sensor on both of my tanks.
ObiRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 08:28 AM   #16
bowchik

We also have the Mopeka system. We mounted the display near the rest of our controls but we can also check with our phones. It has worked out great since our tanks are a pain to get in and out.
bowchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 08:54 AM   #17
flybouy
Site Team

Just an added thought on using the tank sensor VS the changeover valve. There is the PIA factor on campers like mine where the tanks are difficult to get to.

The second and even larger advantage in MHO is you know BEFORE you run out if you need to refill NOW, or a couple of days from now. A change over valve indicates a tank is already empty. So when it it change over? 5 min. after you last looked at it? 5 min. before you looked at it?

Whatever works for you is great. For my money the remote sensor is well worth the investment as I have more information to know wether to get the tank filled at the cg, or at Tractor Supply on the way home, or not worry about it until after the next trip.
Old 11-10-2019, 09:40 AM   #18
larryflew

Plus another for Mopeka. Buy extra 2032 batteries.
larryflew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 10:15 AM   #19
flybouy
Site Team

CR 2032 Batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryflew View Post
Plus another for Mopeka. Buy extra 2032 batteries.
The CR 2032 batteries are are fairly inexpensive if purchased on the net. I've had my sensors for a couple of years and the batteries have lasted me for the "season" we don't full time. I buy batteries in bulk from Costco or Amazon. The cost per battery is very reasonable that way. I keep the various batteries in a plastic bin wall storage unit in the garage at home.

As a "rule", or habit, I remove all batteries from all sensors (TPMS, LP tanks, outside temp., smoke detectors,etc.) and all batteries from clocks, remotes, etc. and place them in a plastic bag for winter storage.

In the spring, I inventory the batteries in the bag and replace them with fresh batteries. The "discarded batteries go in a separate bin together along with an inexpensive battery tester. Those get used first "around the house" as replacements are handy.
Old 11-10-2019, 12:54 PM   #20
BSHGTO

must be special

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmeadows1 View Post
Another recommendation here for the Mopeka Tank Check Dual Sensor with Monitor Kit. It is currently $69.94 (US) on Amazon. In addition to the remote monitor, which I mounted above our RV’s control panel, the sensors connect, via Bluetooth, to Mopeka’s Tank Check app on our iPhones and iPads.

The transmit range of the sensors is truly impressive. It is certainly much more than the 30 feet specified by Bluetooth specifications. I estimate we can get a reliable signal out to at least fifty or sixty feet from the sensors.

Within the settings portion of the app, after one sets the size of each tank, one can set the level at which the app will give a low propane alarm for each tank. I have set the threshold at 30%. When the propane level drops to this percentage, the app will automatically provide an alert on all of our devices.

Within the app, it appears the indicated percentage of propane left in each tank is quite accurate. As for the remote monitor, it is accurate for 20 lb tanks. For 30 lb tanks, like the ones we have in our 5th wheels, the monitor isn’t accurate until the propane level drops to about 50%.

The only downside to the system is how quickly the sensors go through batteries (CR2032). I find they last about six to eight months. However, when purchased in packs of six (or more) on Amazon they are relatively inexpensive. Also, they are not difficult to replace.

Finally, I recommend Mopeka’s Tank Halo for each tank. These mount to the bottom of each tank and provide enough clearance for the sensors to fit on the bottom of the tanks without being ‘squished.’ The halos work much, much better than the aluminum spacers which come with the sensor kit.

Good luck, with whatever route you choose!

Marty
I`ve tried all the methods over the years. This brand and system seems to be the most accurate and easy to use. A tad expensive for what it does but if it works like so many things don`t these days it`s worth it. Just remember if you choose this method to take the sensor off the bottom before refilling cause the guy that`s filling your tank can knock it off then your gone before you realize it. Ask me how I know.
BSHGTO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane, remote