Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-15-2019, 10:44 AM   #1
Skijobe58

2018 Laredo 15K ac

Hello everyone, I’m new here but I’m having trouble with my main 15k ac on my 2018 Laredo 298 fifth wheel. The Dometic main ac once we start it never shuts off till night time as the outside temperature goes down. It starts out cold around 68*F and starts to blow warm air all day. My 13.5K in the front bedroom will freeze us out. Any ideas will truly be appreciated.
Skijobe58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 05:37 AM   #2
jsmith948

Your unit might be icing up. I would remove the inside cover and make sure that the return chamber is tightly sealed with foil tape from the exhaust side. While you have the cover off, check to make sure that the icing sensor (probably not the correct nomenclature) is located in the fins of the coil.
While you are in there, check to see if there could be air escaping from the ducts into the attic. On our Laredo, I had to do quite a bit of taping to seal everything up.
Also, if you do a forum search, there are a couple of threads by Bob Landry explaining how to check the amperage draw to determine if the unit has lost its coolant charge. Hope this is of some help.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 06:15 AM   #3
Skijobe58

Thank you for that info. I’ve already resealed
the chamber but will recheck it. Would you know whether those ac units have coolant leaks if they are repairable or just need to be replaced?
Old 09-16-2019, 07:02 AM   #4
jsmith948

These RV units do not have service ports. If the freon is lost, the unit is replaced. Should be covered under warranty?

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 07:58 AM   #5
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skijobe58 View Post
Thank you for that info. I’ve already resealed
the chamber but will recheck it. Would you know whether those ac units have coolant leaks if they are repairable or just need to be replaced?
They're built to not be rechargeable, but if you are or know a HVAC tech the charge ports could be added, but don't call a tech from the Yellow pages as they WILL NOT do it.
If your RV is out of warranty, I'd call Dometic, not your dealer, to see if they have someone in your area that could come to you rather than let your RV sit at a dealer til next spring.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 08:05 AM   #6
Laredo Tugger

At a recent service appointment I had the service techs mentioned that AC replacements were very common. Said they do a lot of them.
I know we have one service tech that post on here that may vouch for that, but you should consider an appointment for the warranty work if you can not fix it.
Only hassle with dealer service is of course scheduling (depending on their workload) and warranty approvals. Should not be a major issue with a 2018 trailer.
Good luck,
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 07:22 AM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

Just like the fridge in your house. If it's an exterior electrical component (i.e. not the compressor) it can be repaired. A loss of refrigerant means a leak and with the prevalent use of aluminum in the coils and tubing no one will touch them.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 05:46 AM   #8
Skijobe58

Thanks everyone for your input. I contacted a Keystone dealership that was a Laredo dealer. I explained my situation and the service writer was very helpful even though my RV was out of warranty. She told me that Dometic had a two year warranty so I contacted Dometic and was told if I was the original owner and if it was less than two years old it would be under warranty. I’ve got an appointment for October 3 at Camper Clinic. I will update everyone after they diagnose the problem. Once again thanks to all.
Old 09-18-2019, 06:32 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skijobe58 View Post
Thanks everyone for your input. I contacted a Keystone dealership that was a Laredo dealer. I explained my situation and the service writer was very helpful even though my RV was out of warranty. She told me that Dometic had a two year warranty so I contacted Dometic and was told if I was the original owner and if it was less than two years old it would be under warranty. I’ve got an appointment for October 3 at Camper Clinic. I will update everyone after they diagnose the problem. Once again thanks to all.
Remember that if it is the air conditioner, it's covered under the Dometic warranty for 2 years. If the problem is the wiring from the thermostat or the unit, the thermostat, the ducting or some other component, you may be charged for the repair. Only the air conditioner (rooftop unit and ceiling panel) are covered under the Dometic warranty. There may be a different warranty for the thermostat, but sometimes the thermostat is not a Dometic product so it would not be covered by Dometic and it may only have a 1 year warranty.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 09:12 AM   #10
Skijobe58

Thanks for that info. I do have a Dometic thermostat also and when I spoke to the Dometic rep she told me anything Dometic would be covered. She was also knowledgeable to give me her opinion that she thinks that the unit is freezing up. Her opinion would be replacing the unit which was a common issue,, Thanks for that information

Tags
laredo