Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 08-01-2019, 06:24 PM   #1
busterbrown

Ford released power output on it's new 7.3 gasser

The new engine looks like it will be a good gas contender among the Big 3 heavy duties. What I find impressive is a flat torque curve low in the RPM band. At just 1500 revs, this large displacement beast will have nearly 400 ft lbs of torque. Mated with a HD 10 speed gear box, these engines are less likely to scream up mountain passes like gassers of yesterday.

Never been a Ford fanboy, but they do have my attention for an upgrade. I've seen the torque curve for my current RAM 6.4 and it really needs help in the low range rev range. The 6 speed tranny doesn't help either.

Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 08:16 PM   #2
travelin texans

There's another post about this new engine that says"430 hp @ 5500 rpm", that's a huge difference. Not that it matters I'd never own one!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 02:37 PM   #3
CaptnJohn

It cannot replace the diesel I need but would certainly consider if pulling thousands lighter. Still thought torque would be at 500 or a tad more.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 03:31 PM   #4
mwemaxxowner

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
There's another post about this new engine that says"430 hp @ 5500 rpm", that's a huge difference. Not that it matters I'd never own one!
It's 430 at 5500 and 475 at 4400 or something like that, but 400+ lb/ft is available from 1500 rpms. It has a very flat torque curve with lots of useable area under the curve.

I also thought the numbers would be higher, but this engine wasn't meant to be a Dyno queen, it was meant to be a work horse. They calculated the displacement required to meet the demands of the medium duty trucks (think 650/750) at stoichiometric and came out to 7.3 liters. This means it should be efficient-ish and last a long time.

It was intended to serve in the medium duty trucks, with the added benefit as serving as a nice option between the 6.2 and the 6.7. Since it was designed to do so at stoich, it should be very fuel efficient while doing so for what it is.

Whether or not it delivers what was promised remains to be seen, but the numbers are fine when you see the torque curve and consider that it has 400 lb/ft available almost immediately. It should also be able to do this a long, long time.

It's going to be mated to the 10 speed which has a VERY short first gear ratio, and a very tall 10th gear ratio. Leaving a lot of flexibility with rear end choices and still having plenty of low end grunt and nice low rpms at speed on the highway whichever way you go.

That 10 speed helps a lot with the 5.0 and its narrow, peaky power band. Should do a great job keeping this one where it needs to be to perform.
mwemaxxowner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford, gas, power