Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Prospective Owners' Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-06-2019, 05:16 PM   #1
Ily

Cougar TT

Hi, new member here.
We own a 2013 Toyota Tundra Crew Max 4x4 and are looking into getting a new TT. I really love the Cougar’s 27res fp but am very confused on all the towing numbers/weights. Dry weight is 6544 and CC 2256, hitch weight is 835. In my research it seems like our truck can pull 9000 but I know there is more to consider and also worry about the over exaggerated claims some manufacturers will make. I know so e will go well over what’s needed to pull their rigs and others are just barely making it so don’t want to go on just what we are seeing on the road. Anyone own Tundra? What are you pulling? Any advice would be truly appreciated. TIA
Ily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 05:47 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

The "shipping weight" (6544) is the empty weight as the trailer left the factory. No propane, no battery, no optional equipment, no spare tire (in the weight figure, but is supplied with the trailer). The 835 pound tongue weight is also "as it left the factory" so no propane, no battery and no hitch to "tie the trailer to the truck"....

Realistically, that trailer is a 31' "sail" that weighs around 8800 pounds with a tongue weight somewhere between 11% and 15% of total weight.

So, expect the tongue to weigh in between 968-1320 pounds. Add the weight of your hitch (125-175 pounds) to the tongue weight and you'll be putting around 1000-1450 pounds on the receiver of your truck.

Depending on your payload, with that much weight, will you be able to still put your family and planned cargo in the truck?

All of the marketing experts at Keystone and most other RV manufacturers have found ways to highlight what works for them while keeping reality "in the shadows". Looking at your trailer and not knowing anything about how many passengers, pets or cargo you'll be putting in the truck, in addition to that 1000-1500 pounds of trailer load, I don't think anyone can tell you that you'll be OK or that it will be "iffy"... We just don't know enough about your truck, the information on the yellow sticker on the driver's door and we know nothing of your family, all of which must be included as "cargo weight" along with the trailer you select....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 06:08 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

OP, look at the stickers inside the driver door, post the numbers for payload, gvw, gawr etc. Then you will have some idea of where you are.

John has outlined some basic numbers but I have very little confidence that a 2013 Tundra has the payload capacity (forget "towing" capacity) to pull an 8800lb. trailer; make that no confidence. Post those numbers and you/we can go from there. In the interim I would just say IMO that it's a non starter.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 06:09 PM   #4
Customer1

It appears your payload is 1,500#. Subtract your passengers and cargo from that number. The result is how much tongue weight you can carry.
Old 09-06-2019, 07:51 PM   #5
travelin texans

I know it's not what wanted to hear, but unfortunately you're looking at too much trailer for your truck. You can post your numbers here so that all can concur, but I'm certain the outcome won't change.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 10:08 AM   #6
Ken / Claudia

Keystone said my tongue wt. is 520 lbs. Loaded for camping it is 920 lbs. Thats the real world.
Those Tundras are great trucks, but like all trucks of every make and size they have limits.
A co worker purchased a Tundra 4x4 crew cab short box new and a TT that was 24 or 26 ft, I do not remember which. He towed it though the mountains in Oregon and to Montana. According to him it worked great. He traded up to a 30ft toy hauler and empty the TT was towing fine. When he put the atvs in it and other camping gear. One trip over Mt. Hood and back and he sold the Toyota for a big loss. This spring he towed to Montana with a 350 ford although a 250 would likely work just as good. Although the Toyota is a great truck, it cost him a lot of money to find out it's limits.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 12:38 PM   #7
Gegrad

Unfortunately Tundras are not great tow vehicles. Highest payload I have ever seen on a Tundra was ~1250 lbs. The 4WD isn't helping you in that department. You will be highly limited by your payload, probably to around a 5000 lb GVWR trailer.
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 02:05 PM   #8
major bumm

Ily,

I have to agree with the other posts here. Even if you were driving another half-ton truck, chevy, ford, etc. you are asking too much of the half-ton class truck. The half-ton can do the job, but you could be in for one heck of a ride.

My Sierra is rated for 9000lbs, but realistically, 7000lbs is a more comfortable weight... weight distribution, driving, braking, accelerating, sway-control and all that. My TT is 28' total length. I wanted a 33' trailer two years ago, but could not afford it. Having driven around the country with the 28', I'm glad I didn't get it.

A 30' and larger trailer is, IMHO, better handled by the 3\4 to 1-ton truck class. (stronger frame, greater payload, more power ((hopefully)), improved sway control than the half-ton). Downsides, stiffer ride and cost.

What are you planning on doing with the TT, if I may ask? full-time RV'er, occasional, cross-country, just down the street to the campground? Just yourself or hunting buds, family?
major bumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 06:45 PM   #9
Ily

Toyota Tundra

Thank you all for your replies. Figuring out what to do. We love our Tundra and not ready to trade it, we hope to be able to get a diesel Tundra if Toyota would ever decide on it.
My husband and I are just looking for a TT to visit state parks in the US and Canada. Thinking of being full time in a few years.
Ily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 07:32 PM   #10
Northofu1

I dont know about the stiffer ride. My 2019 2500 rides really smooth. The difference is negligible.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 08:55 PM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ily View Post
Thank you all for your replies. Figuring out what to do. We love our Tundra and not ready to trade it, we hope to be able to get a diesel Tundra if Toyota would ever decide on it.
My husband and I are just looking for a TT to visit state parks in the US and Canada. Thinking of being full time in a few years.
A Tundra has improved in recent years as far as a towing vehicle. On par with the Big 3? Not by any test that has been performed on them vs the big 3 that I have seen. A diesel in a Tundra? Not seen anything like that mentioned...I suppose a hope, sort of like the diesel Titan? The Titan still can't/doesn't make the cut for an HD truck as the US would think.

Little brother tried to use a Toyota HD pickup to pull his lightweight 5vr because they said it could. He ended up with a Ford 250 diesel because the Toyota didn't have the "cojones" for it. He loved it, couldn't do the job

Understand that a Tundra, is at heart, a Japanese "truck" designed by "Japanese" that have no comprehension of what us Americans do with a truck. They are learning and improving...for a 1/2 ton truck. Trying to use them for heavy duty towing....give them 10 years or so.
Old 09-16-2019, 12:38 PM   #12
notanlines

Might I ask, without ruffling any feathers, please, "We hope to be able to get a diesel Tundra if Toyota would ever decide on it" what would make you hope for a diesel Toyota?
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 01:06 PM   #13
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
A Tundra has improved in recent years as far as a towing vehicle. On par with the Big 3? Not by any test that has been performed on them vs the big 3 that I have seen. A diesel in a Tundra? Not seen anything like that mentioned...I suppose a hope, sort of like the diesel Titan? The Titan still can't/doesn't make the cut for an HD truck as the US would think.

Little brother tried to use a Toyota HD pickup to pull his lightweight 5vr because they said it could. He ended up with a Ford 250 diesel because the Toyota didn't have the "cojones" for it. He loved it, couldn't do the job

Understand that a Tundra, is at heart, a Japanese "truck" designed by "Japanese" that have no comprehension of what us Americans do with a truck. They are learning and improving...for a 1/2 ton truck. Trying to use them for heavy duty towing....give them 10 years or so.
The Tundra is made in San Antonio Texas by Texans! The truck purports to be for heavy duty towing and off road use on their website. Highest payload for any of the Tundra configurations is 1660 lbs.
https://www.toyota.com/tundra/2020/f...8261/8272/8275
Ford F150 for 2019 has significantly higher payload ratings for many of its model configurations. The 3.5 Eco-boost max payload? 3230 lbs. (can this be right? This is one ton range!)
https://www.phillongford.com/2020-fo...g-capacity.htm

I think anyone who loves Tundra trucks and loves decent sized RVs should make up their mind which they love more cuz they don't seem to live in the same space.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 04:32 PM   #14
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
The Tundra is made in San Antonio Texas by Texans! The truck purports to be for heavy duty towing and off road use on their website. Highest payload for any of the Tundra configurations is 1660 lbs.
https://www.toyota.com/tundra/2020/f...8261/8272/8275
Ford F150 for 2019 has significantly higher payload ratings for many of its model configurations. The 3.5 Eco-boost max payload? 3230 lbs. (can this be right? This is one ton range!)
https://www.phillongford.com/2020-fo...g-capacity.htm

I think anyone who loves Tundra trucks and loves decent sized RVs should make up their mind which they love more cuz they don't seem to live in the same space.
Yes it is, but I believe the "design" team is probably at Toyota headquarters somewhere, not at the San Antonio plant. I have to say that I'm thinking that they are at least getting some influence in their designs from the US by the way their trucks are improving. But, let's give them 10 years before we want to think of them as true "towing" trucks.
Old 11-12-2019, 03:46 PM   #15
RET.LEO

I am the worlds biggest Tundra Fan BUT it is so limited in what it can tow and especially the carry capacity.
Someday maybe Toyota will wake up and build a "Super Tundra" 3/4 ton truck.
RET.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 04:10 PM   #16
Northofu1

Not likely, they have enough frames to replace on their other two trucks.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 07:51 PM   #17
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RET.LEO View Post
I am the worlds biggest Tundra Fan BUT it is so limited in what it can tow and especially the carry capacity.
Someday maybe Toyota will wake up and build a "Super Tundra" 3/4 ton truck.
Thinking back to 1984/85, the Toyota was a "low priced competition for the Ranger". In the early 90's, Toyota introduced the "New best truck in America, the T-100".... Then they revamped it and introduced the Tacoma and Tundra. As the line progresses, no doubt they'll eventually introduce a truck that actually competes in towing, payload, function, not just in"'category"

I remember back in the early to mid 2000's when the TRD replaced the SR5 as "Toyota's go to".... One of their commercials went something along the lines of: Toyota Racing Development has committed to making the best performance trucks on the market. All that's missing is you. Hmmmmm

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 09:31 AM   #18
RET.LEO

Sold my 96 T-100 three years ago after seven years of ownership. 4X4, got 21MPG, didn't burn a 1/2 qt of oil between changes. Had 265,000 miles on it when I sold it for the same price I paid for it...........Love Toyota's!!!
Old 11-13-2019, 09:54 AM   #19
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by RET.LEO View Post
Sold my 96 T-100 three years ago after seven years of ownership. 4X4, got 21MPG, didn't burn a 1/2 qt of oil between changes. Had 265,000 miles on it when I sold it for the same price I paid for it...........Love Toyota's!!!
I believe they are great trucks for what they were designed for, the DIY guy that needs to haul a bit of lumber or bags if cement/sand occasionally, or to tow a small utility trailer, but not to haul RVs of any size for any distance. Great ultra light duty trucks.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 03:25 PM   #20
RET.LEO

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
I believe they are great trucks for what they were designed for, the DIY guy that needs to haul a bit of lumber or bags if cement/sand occasionally, or to tow a small utility trailer, but not to haul RVs of any size for any distance. Great ultra light duty trucks.
It's a shame it's so very true. I wouldn't do anything other than a short UL. The 10,000 tow rating with the most important thing of all a very light carry capacity really kills it for a TV

Tags
cougar