Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 08-11-2019, 11:58 AM   #1
JFish

Can I add an additional awning to 2017 Alpine 3900RE front sliide?

Is it possible to add an additional awning to the front slide of a 2017 Alpine 3900 RE? If so can it be connected to the InCommand system?
JFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 01:19 PM   #2
larryflew

I would think you can add an awning and I would call lippert regarding the system. Their service dept is knowledgeable an typically very helpful.
Old 08-15-2019, 08:26 AM   #3
JFish

Thanks, I will also check with Keystone check with Keystone concerning the awning. I was told by camping world it depended on the support on the slide where the awning would be added
Old 08-15-2019, 09:02 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

For clarification purposes, what kind of awning do you want to install on your front slide ?? A patio awning, a window awning or possibly a slide topper awning???? All three are significantly different with different mounting requirements, so depending on what you want to install, you should get different answers.

Also, looking at your trailer floorplan, there's only one slide on the curb side, so I'm guessing that by "front slide" you're speaking of the roadside, bedroom slide????

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 10:03 AM   #5
JFish

I consider the front slide the one beside the main entry door. The awning I would like to install would be like the main awning (patio) for additional shade. The slide already has a slide topper. I have seen multiple patio awnings at the same location on some Montana fifth wheels.
Old 08-15-2019, 10:30 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

If I understand correctly, you want to install a patio awning on the curb side of the trailer, behind the existing patio awning?

Doing that will depend on whether you want to install it on the trailer sidewall or on the slide sidewall.

If you elect to install it on the trailer sidewall, when the slide is extended, you'll have some loss of area under the awning. It will only be possible to install in this location if there is enough space between the slide opening and the end cap of the existing awning. Keep in mind that with the slide cover in place, the attaching hardware for that cover roller extends beyond the end of the slide flange, so you'll need to make sure that roller hardware will clean the awning vertical arm of the awning you intend to install. That means you may need close to 12" or maybe even more space between the existing awning vertical arm/roller tube endcap and the slide cover awning hardware (mounted on the slide and extending beyond the side of the slide flange).

If you intend to install the new awning on the slide side, then you'll need shorter vertical awning arms and the awning maximum length will be limited to the length of the slide, minus the width of the flange endcaps and a couple inches for clearance from the existing slide cover hardware.

Short answer is, Yes, you can install a second awning on the side of your trailer provided you have enough clearance between the existing awning and the hardware attachment for the slide cover. The new awning vertical arm will need to be installed in the space between the existing awning and the slide cover projection. On some trailers there's not enough space, on some there is. You'll need about 12" if you intend to keep the slide cover AND the new awning.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 11:17 AM   #7
JFish

Thanks for the response. The plan is to install the awning to the curb side slide itself if the slide has the supporting structure to support it.

Tags
alpine, awning