Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-04-2018, 06:22 AM   #21
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
Hmmm....what to do, what to do. Truck is 14,000 GVWR and 5th is 12,500 GVWR.
After much research I decided that the registration laws allow for a contradiction to the driver's licensing laws and that the only way to be safe was to register the truck to the MCO limit of 14K and get a class A driver's license...

To put it simply... the registration laws mandate that the GVWR on the MCO is the registered weight, but many dealers and Country Clerks seem to be oblivious to this ruling or consciously choose to disregard it, and continue to register trucks for the minimum weight allowed.

Granted, it does save the owner some money on the front end, but could end up costing them much more later. I seriously doubt the clerk will step up and pay any fines that their actions cause..

The laws pertaining to driver's licensing are quite clear and mandate that the GVWR on the MCO is to be the registered GVWR.

The law also clearly states the need for a class A non-CDL for those of us who operate a truck and trailer with a GCVWR of more than 26,000 pounds if the trailer has a GVWR of more than 10,000 pounds.

Another law clearly states that operating a vehicle which exceeds its registered weight is a violation and if the overage is more than 5% over the registered weight you are subject to either unloading the overage or impoundment until you either correct the registration or unload to the limit.

So,...… register the truck for 9600 pounds and then load the truck beyond that limit and be in violation of one law which would if corrected put you in violation of another... Of course I supposed you could register the truck for a number that would keep you legal on the weight... but since the driver's license law says the GVWR from the MCO is what decides the required license... roll the dice and hope it don't come up snake eyes...

I chose to re-register my truck correctly per the law and get my class A ….

BTW... other than the inconvenience of having to take off work and lose overtime hours (twice) the written and driving tests were a breeze.. Probably the most difficulty was doing the mandatory computer course now required on distracted driving (cell phone use)… hard for me to watch, both because it is designed for young people and because I lost my daughter and grandchild to a distracted driver..
Old 07-05-2018, 08:43 AM   #22
gearhead

It's a slow morning so I called my little family owned small town dealer. Talked to the General Manager. I could tell he wasn't quite understanding the issue. He said he would talk to his title clerk and call me back. He did. He used the numbers that was in the guide Javi attached....1/2 ton truck is 1,000 pounds, etc. Said they sell at least 20 1 ton trucks a month and this is the first conversation he's ever had about this. He said my truck is 8200# per RAM shipping weight, with 2,000# capacity (1 ton dually), so the GVWR is 10,200. I explained the scenario of being in oh say California, and get pulled over and don't have the right DL for the 14,000 GVWR truck and a 12,500# 5th. He kept going back to what the truck weighs. I think he finally understood what I was getting at. About the same time he started getting defensive and saying the county clerks office is the one that determines the GVWR. He asked if all these trucks pulling big 5th wheels are illegal?? Yes sir they are. End of conversation.
DW is sitting next to me saying...just shut up and go get the license.
Yes m'amm.
Now I have a purpose in life!
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 09:50 AM   #23
Javi

Quote:
Now I have a purpose in life!
Jut make sure you visit said County Clerk before you take the driving test and up the registration to the MCO GVWR... because the DL people require the equipment used for the test be correct..

Study Chapter 14 of the CDL Manual and take the written test... it's 20 questions and if they ask what to do with a loose load of sand or such, the answer is follow the rules and regulations pertaining to the load you are hauling... Not tarp and secure the load... only question I missed...
Old 07-05-2018, 09:53 AM   #24
HANGAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattE303 View Post
I wish California would let me do that with my toy hauler! CA goes by the trailer GVWR (not combined); over 15K you need a non commercial Class A, 15k or less you just need a simple Class C "endorsement" requiring only a written test. My toy hauler's GVWR is 16,755, but I don't get anywhere near that (more like 14K fully loaded according to CAT), I would happily "derate" it to 15K if they'd let me.
MattE303, That would be nice! But after the hassle of getting the CA Class-A non-commercial license, it really wouldn't matter much. I finally got my Class-A about 10-years ago because I heard horror stories from friends. CA Highway Patrol would "stake-out" popular camping areas on holiday weekends looking for heavy vehicles (toy haulers, triple axle trailers, motor homes over 40', etc.) and pull them over for a technicality. Once they had them pulled over, they would check trailer weight and drivers license. If you needed a Class-A and didn't have one, they would cite you and force you to unhitch your trailer. Your trailer would then be impounded and your camping trip over. You'd have to pay the citation and impound fees to get your trailer back. BUT, without a Class-A license, you wouldn't be allowed to hitch-up at the impound yard. So now you needed to find a friend who had a Class-A and could assist you in recovering your trailer. Absolute nightmare! Imagine you're just about to pull into your favorite camping area with the family to relax and the authorities tell you they're going to impound your trailer! It's not worth it, just go get the Class-A for peace of mind. I had to take a written Class-C test, written Class-M1 test, and written Class-A test. Then had to perform a pre-trip inspection test at DMV with my rig, and a skills test (backing in a straight line, parallel parking, etc), and a 30-minute driving test that included freeways. Also had to have an already licensed Class-A driver join me since I legally couldn't drive my trailer down to the DMV to take these tests! Major pain in the A__! But now it's done and I only need to complete a DMV health questionnaire every other year and mail it in.
I asked my RV dealer about the possibility of needing a Class-A when I originally purchased my trailer - They played the "stupid-card" and said they didn't think I should need one, but later said they weren't sure. The salesman didn't not want to lose a sale based on state law licensing requirements.
HANGAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 11:32 AM   #25
MattE303

Quote:
Originally Posted by HANGAR View Post
MattE303, That would be nice! But after the hassle of getting the CA Class-A non-commercial license, it really wouldn't matter much. I finally got my Class-A about 10-years ago because I heard horror stories from friends. CA Highway Patrol would "stake-out" popular...
<snip>
I agree, I'm working on getting my Class A. I've already got the "Restriction 42" 5th wheel endorsement on my Class C, so I've passed the written test. Last week I went down to the local fairgrounds with some orange cones and started practicing the skills tests. I'm gonna do that for a while until I have the "alley dock" down cold, that seems to be the hardest one. I don't think anyone else has mentioned a "parallel park" test, maybe that's what other people are describing as an 'offset backup'?

Like you said, the biggest hassle is needing to have a Class A driver with you for the test, not sure how I'm gonna manage that.

2002 Ford F350 7.3 Super Duty XLT 4x4 CC LB SRW -- Pullrite Super 5th 16K
2017 Keystone Carbon 337
2022 Honda CRF-450R
MattE303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 11:47 AM   #26
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Jut make sure you visit said County Clerk before you take the driving test and up the registration to the MCO GVWR... because the DL people require the equipment used for the test be correct..

Study Chapter 14 of the CDL Manual and take the written test... it's 20 questions and if they ask what to do with a loose load of sand or such, the answer is follow the rules and regulations pertaining to the load you are hauling... Not tarp and secure the load... only question I missed...
I called the county tax office in the county where the dealership is (Hardin County, my next door county). Very interesting conversation. Bottom line is they input info from your attachment if the dealer doesn't give them the specific info. Called the dealership and talked to the finance guy who is the one I had the original conversation with. Filled him in on what was happening and those arbitrary payload numbers have put me in legal jeopardy. It took a while but I think he now understands. Told him they should be open the door of the truck and get the real number. Anyway, he is supposed to be emailing me a copy of the MCO. Then I go to my county tax office and upgrade to 14,000# GVWR. Cost is $114. I went by the drivers license office to get info but they were stacked up waiting.
Old 07-05-2018, 11:56 AM   #27
Javi

Quote:
I agree, I'm working on getting my Class A. I've already got the "Restriction 42" 5th wheel endorsement on my Class C, so I've passed the written test. Last week I went down to the local fairgrounds with some orange cones and started practicing the skills tests. I'm gonna do that for a while until I have the "alley dock" down cold, that seems to be the hardest one. I don't think anyone else has mentioned a "parallel park" test, maybe that's what other people are describing as an 'offset backup'?

Like you said, the biggest hassle is needing to have a Class A driver with you for the test, not sure how I'm gonna manage that.
This is the best video I've seen to explain backing..
Old 07-05-2018, 02:17 PM   #28
Javi

Quote:
I called the county tax office in the county where the dealership is (Hardin County, my next door county). Very interesting conversation. Bottom line is they input info from your attachment if the dealer doesn't give them the specific info. Called the dealership and talked to the finance guy who is the one I had the original conversation with. Filled him in on what was happening and those arbitrary payload numbers have put me in legal jeopardy. It took a while but I think he now understands. Told him they should be open the door of the truck and get the real number. Anyway, he is supposed to be emailing me a copy of the MCO. Then I go to my county tax office and upgrade to 14,000# GVWR. Cost is $114. I went by the drivers license office to get info but they were stacked up waiting.
As new as your tags are you should only pay the difference, not the whole fee... That's all I had to do...
Old 07-06-2018, 11:08 AM   #29
gearhead

Javi...what did you do for a driving test?
Old 07-06-2018, 11:50 AM   #30
Javi

Quote:
Javi...what did you do for a driving test?
Back up in a straight line about 100 feet..

Drove about 20 miles in and out of traffic.. made 10 right hand turns and 10 left hand turns... stopped at 5 or 6 stop signs and lights.. Normal driving...
Old 07-06-2018, 12:00 PM   #31
MattE303

Quote:
Back up in a straight line about 100 feet..

Drove about 20 miles in and out of traffic.. made 10 right hand turns and 10 left hand turns... stopped at 5 or 6 stop signs and lights.. Normal driving...
no offset backup or alley dock during the skills test? Wow, you guys have it easy!

2002 Ford F350 7.3 Super Duty XLT 4x4 CC LB SRW -- Pullrite Super 5th 16K
2017 Keystone Carbon 337
2022 Honda CRF-450R
MattE303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 01:07 PM   #32
Javi

Quote:
no offset backup or alley dock during the skills test? Wow, you guys have it easy!
After driving tankers and blower trailers in the fertilizer business it wouldn't have bothered me, if he had wanted those..

Honestly, we talked for about 5 minutes before we started; during which he asked my previous experience.... That may or may not have had a bearing on my test...

While driving he did ask me about the height of an overpass... I said more than 2 feet over my trailer... I'm not sure that was as funny to him as it was to me...
Old 07-06-2018, 03:41 PM   #33
sgrol

Quote:

Went in for my Texas written test today and they made me take a test on Chap 14, which I passed, and chap 6, which I didn't pass. Don't know if the rules about the Class A license has changed or what. Chap 6 is on combination vehicles and has nothing to do with RVs. My son was with me to get his Class A also and he got a different office pro and had to take the same tests.
Old 07-06-2018, 04:42 PM   #34
saturn450

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgrol View Post
Went in for my Texas written test today and they made me take a test on Chap 14, which I passed, and chap 6, which I didn't pass. Don't know if the rules about the Class A license has changed or what. Chap 6 is on combination vehicles and has nothing to do with RVs. My son was with me to get his Class A also and he got a different office pro and had to take the same tests.

I went to the DMV and that was the worst 5 hours of my life. They kept saying I needed a commercial not and an exempt . Finally they said they would give me anything I wanted. This is in Texas. I know have a class A exempt.
saturn450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 09:02 PM   #35
Javi

Quote:
If you filled out CDL-2 it clearly states that all you must take is the written test for Chapter 14... you need to talk to someone else at that station..

As I stated earlier in this thread... many of those doing the testing don't know the rules... keep trying..
Old 07-07-2018, 04:03 AM   #36
gearhead

I'll talk to folks at the DL office here in town (county seat), but they have a reputation for stupidity. Plan B is I'll go a few miles to Livingston, where the Escapees have a big RV park, and hopefully the DL folks there know their business.
The dealership did email me my trucks MCO yesterday, so I'll get to the courthouse and change my GVWR to 14,000#.
Thanks for all the info on this Javi. We have talked back and forth about for awhile and I'm finally getting off my rear and doing it.
Old 07-07-2018, 04:08 AM   #37
gearhead

Quote:
Which office did you go to, Conroe?
Old 07-07-2018, 04:17 AM   #38
sgrol

No, the Spring mega center.
I'll also extend my thanks to Javi, very helpful. I don't know you but I have much more trust in you than the DMV desk jockies.
Quote:
Which office did you go to, Conroe?
Old 07-07-2018, 04:27 AM   #39
gearhead

Thanks. I'll scratch the Spring location off my list of alternatives.
Did your truck dealer register your 1 ton at 14,000#?
Old 07-07-2018, 05:01 AM   #40
Javi

Exempt facilities are DPS testing sites that do both CDL and Exempt testing... Most CDL sites only test commercial... I've included a link to the website.. https://www.dps.texas.gov/administration/driver_licensing_control/rolodex/cdlExemptVehTestSites.htm

I HIGHLY recommend that you have the CDL-2 filled out but unsigned before you show up to register for the written test. It will remove a lot of the confusion. It also clearly states at the bottom of the form which written test is required. Remember do not sign it until requested to do so. It must be filled out in INK not on the computer...

CDL-2 form which is the EXEMPT form. SELECT Recreational Vehicle, http://www.dps.texas.gov/internetforms/Forms/CDL-2.pdf

Also, fill out DL-43 which is the application to change class of license. It can be done on the computer and then printed, but again do not sign it until requested to do so.. http://www.dps.texas.gov/InternetForms/Forms/DL-43.pdf

You will be asked to SWEAR that the information is truthful and correct before being allow to sign these documents...

This isn't really difficult, but the clerks at the DPS are making it more so.. Being forewarned and prepared I was in and out of the registration and written test in less than an hour... (seven minutes to take the test).

Note: after you have passed the written test, they must enter your information before you can make a reservation on line for the driving test.

The driving test was a bit more, (appointment was for 7:30 am, didn't get started until 8:30 and done by 9:15 and on my way home) as a note you will need a copy of your registration receipt for both the trailer and the truck, a copy of your insurance (must be paper no cell phone) and a copy of the inspection forms for both the truck and trailer.

One last thing... you must take the IMPACT TEXAS DRIVERS COURSE on line and print out the certificate and carry it with you to show before the driving test.

OH.... if you currently have a CLASS C license and it isn't about to expire, the fee for all this is a whopping $11