Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-30-2017, 08:57 PM   #21
32feetoffun

Sway control or not?

Sway is a reality for any bumper pull. I have a Ford E350 V10 and pull a 32 Ft Sprinter Bunkhouse. I have been in an out of control sway accident and will not tow without proper WD and sway control. For me, sway is not an option, so I've chosen to pull with a Hensley Arrow. Sway isn't just controlled, it's eliminated. There's a couple options besides Hensley, pullrite makes a bumper pull trailer hitch, and propride makes a good one too. There might be others. For me, the safety of my family far out weighs the price tag on the Hensley.

Just my two cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
32feetoffun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 09:23 PM   #22
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32feetoffun View Post
Sway is a reality for any bumper pull. I have a Ford E350 V10 and pull a 32 Ft Sprinter Bunkhouse. I have been in an out of control sway accident and will not tow without proper WD and sway control. For me, sway is not an option, so I've chosen to pull with a Hensley Arrow. Sway isn't just controlled, it's eliminated. There's a couple options besides Hensley, pullrite makes a bumper pull trailer hitch, and propride makes a good one too. There might be others. For me, the safety of my family far out weighs the price tag on the Hensley.

Just my two cents.

Well said! It's hard to believe that folks will spend tens of thousands of dollars on a coach and second guess quality sway prevention equipment.

I saw this video posted on social media a couple of days ago. It solidifies my hitch buying decision.

https://youtu.be/siVH_cr5ZnE
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 06:42 AM   #23
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterbrown View Post
Well said! It's hard to believe that folks will spend tens of thousands of dollars on a coach and second guess quality sway prevention equipment.

I saw this video posted on social media a couple of days ago. It solidifies my hitch buying decision.

https://youtu.be/siVH_cr5ZnE

Watching that video I doubt a Hensley or anything else could have prevented that wreck. Sometimes it's impossible to fix stupid.

You can't tell if the vehicle/trailer combo was within spec but by the way the back of the trailer was loaded I suspect the Excursion? was as well - with a fair sized trailer. The semi looked to be driving about the speed limit. The truck/trailer passed him at a pretty fast clip so I suspect they were speeding - maybe excessively. I never saw an indication of brakes. The back door steps were left down for travel. Everything I saw tells me the driver should have never been driving much less pulling a trailer.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 08:39 AM   #24
32feetoffun

You may be correct about the trailer being loaded improperly and the driver speeding and driving in an other than safe manner. He may well have wrecked no matter what his hitch setup. But that accident was a sway incident. That accident would not have occurred with a Hensley.

All that to say, I completely agree that some other accident would have certainly occurred if the driver was negligent in his driving or his loading.

Old 08-31-2017, 08:54 AM   #25
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32feetoffun View Post
You may be correct about the trailer being loaded improperly and the driver speeding and driving in an other than safe manner. He may well have wrecked no matter what his hitch setup. But that accident was a sway incident. That accident would not have occurred with a Hensley.

All that to say, I completely agree that some other accident would have certainly occurred if the driver was negligent in his driving or his loading.

I agree to a point. If you watch the video of the vehicle passing right at the start you will see that the truck/trailer was "sucked" toward the semi long before it got past him. A Hensley will not prevent that. At that point the driver apparently initiated the sway by not knowing how to compensate for the pulling of the trailer. IF the driver was competent, driving properly and had a good WDH/SC that should have never happened - the action caused by passing a semi happens virtually every time and should not cause what the video shows. I'm not trying to debate the merits of a Hensley - they are a good hitch but they won't prevent every trailer accident that's caused by wind/semis/incompetent drivers etc. The OP inquired about the use of a WDH/SC with his truck. I think the consensus is that he needs one - what kind, with a 350, would be up to him.
Old 08-31-2017, 10:32 AM   #26
busterbrown

The independent lateral movement on the trailer would not have happened with a Hensley. It CANNOT happen as the design and mechanics of the cams and locking hitch ball struts prevent the start of the movement. The rig moves together when forces are applied on either the TV or trailer. That video is a perfect example of why Hensley and Propride hitches were developed in the first place.

Grant it, any accident can occur out of stupidity or driver error. But from the looks of how the trailer movement began, it is clear that a properly installed Hensley or Propride would have neutralized the forces that initiate "trailer sway". Ask any Hensley or Propride owner.

Old 08-31-2017, 01:23 PM   #27
Outback 325BH
Gone Traveling

Sway control or not?

Quote:
The independent lateral movement on the trailer would not have happened with a Hensley. It CANNOT happen as the design and mechanics of the cams and locking hitch ball struts prevent the start of the movement. The rig moves together when forces are applied on either the TV or trailer. That video is a perfect example of why Hensley and Propride hitches were developed in the first place.

Grant it, any accident can occur out of stupidity or driver error. But from the looks of how the trailer movement began, it is clear that a properly installed Hensley or Propride would have neutralized the forces that initiate "trailer sway". Ask any Hensley or Propride owner.

A properly installed non-Hensley WDH with sway control would have prevented that too. Hensley is for folks who do not know how to setup a hitch correctly.

Properly sized bars/WDH to trailer weight (tongue weight) setup correctly
Sway control setup correctly
Properly loaded trailer
Properly sized TV

No Hensley needed and save $2K. [emoji846]

Outback 325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 02:07 PM   #28
Dball

I looked into a Hensley and WOW!!!!!! They look nice but talk about a raping on price!!!
Dball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 02:17 PM   #29
JRTJH
Site Team

Someone who "touts the cause" of that accident and how to prevent it really needs to spend a few minutes looking up the payload, GVW, CGWR and towing limitations of the Excursion. From the emblem on the door, that appears to be a diesel Excursion. They were "notoriously" known to have payloads significantly less than the "truck cousins" from which they evolved. Payloads in the 900-1100 range were not uncommon. Looking at that trailer, no matter which hitch was installed, the tow vehicle was "overloaded" and, with all the "stuff" mounted on the rear bumper rack, I'd strongly suspect that the tongue weight wasn't appropriate and, if it was in the 10-15% of total weight range, with that much "counter weight on the rear, then the Excursion was likely to have been "critically overloaded"....

While a Hensley/ProPride hitch can prevent sway (literal interpretation) it can't keep a "stupid driver in his lane" nor can it prevent that same driver from creating a series of circumstances that lead to the inevitable.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 02:21 PM   #30
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outback 325BH View Post
Hensley is for folks who do not know how to setup a hitch correctly.
The above "blanket" assumption tends to show the credibility of the source.

Prior to ownership of my Hensley Arrow, my mid-level hitch was a Blue Ox Sway Pro. The reviews were outstanding, pricing was in line with other competitive sway control WDHs, and my dealer recommended it. My trailer was loaded properly, the TV was adequate, and my weights were within the limits of the TV, the trailer, and the spring bars. The scales supported my "properly loaded trailer".

Unfortunately, mother nature and the laws of physics took the reins and won the battle against an otherwise compliant towing rig. Even after stepping up to a 3/4 ton 160 inch wheelbase truck, the same WDH showed signs of unsafe trailer movement.

Maybe a 4pt Equal-I-zer hitch would have curtailed sway better, maybe not. But when tugging a 35 foot trailer behind at highway speeds, I learned that I never want to fight the battle again. This is one of the reason that many people upgrade to a 5th wheel. For my camping objectives, I have no interest in a 5th wheel.

So, here is where my Hensley came to fruition. It (they) promised me 99% of sway elimination. And it has 100% lived up to that promise. When my 120 lb, 5'1" wife can drive our rig at 65 mph, in heavy wind conditions, on long downgrades, and in passing lanes next to extended length wiggle wagons and have absolutely no trepidation or fear of a sway event, it was worth every penny of the $2000 invested. YMMV.

Old 08-31-2017, 02:29 PM   #31
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dball View Post
I looked into a Hensley and WOW!!!!!! They look nice but talk about a raping on price!!!
Someone cannot put a price tag on my family's safety. It's also 'head-scratching' why people question the price tag of a $2K piece of defined safety equipment but yet won't blink on the bill of sale of a $50K optioned-out coach?

Old 08-31-2017, 02:47 PM   #32
Outback 325BH
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Someone who "touts the cause" of that accident and how to prevent it really needs to spend a few minutes looking up the payload, GVW, CGWR and towing limitations of the Excursion. From the emblem on the door, that appears to be a diesel Excursion. They were "notoriously" known to have payloads significantly less than the "truck cousins" from which they evolved. Payloads in the 900-1100 range were not uncommon. Looking at that trailer, no matter which hitch was installed, the tow vehicle was "overloaded" and, with all the "stuff" mounted on the rear bumper rack, I'd strongly suspect that the tongue weight wasn't appropriate and, if it was in the 10-15% of total weight range, with that much "counter weight on the rear, then the Excursion was likely to have been "critically overloaded"....

While a Hensley/ProPride hitch can prevent sway (literal interpretation) it can't keep a "stupid driver in his lane" nor can it prevent that same driver from creating a series of circumstances that lead to the inevitable.

Something I tell my friends who love to use their hitch on the back of their TT is, even when there is enough tongue weight after loading stuff in the back, having a bunch of weight behind the TT axles is no good. People think you just have to "load up the tongue" to counteract weight in the rear. Even when the tongue weight is adequate, a bunch of weight in the back causes problems.

I agree, if the tongue weight was correct, he was probably over on payload.

Also, 99% of the WDH setups I see at campgrounds are not setup correctly. Either due to bars not big enough for the tongue weight or not tightened enough. Usually both. People need to buy WDH systems based on proper tongue weight and not trailer weight... because WDH systems are usually advertised as trailer-weight/tongue-weight -- where tongue weight is 10%. This usually ends up meaning the buyer gets too small of a system. If your trailer weight is 10,000 lbs, you need the 15,000/1,500 setup not the 10,000/1,000 setup because proper tongue weight of a 10,000 lbs trailer usually is north of 1,000 lbs.

A $50 sway bar also works wonders, especially in conjunction with an "integrated " sway control WDH system. When using one, you can't be afraid to tighten it up good.

I see I have gone off course a bit... from my original reply.

Outback 325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 03:07 PM   #33
sourdough
Site Team

A couple of points in this conversation;

I've owned various WDH/SC setups. The equalizer is by far the best I've owned - great product and great performance for the price. With all the others I HAVE had sway. I had sway with the equalizer with a 1/2 ton truck. After upgrading (and properly set up) that issue is gone. I've not had sway in many, many thousands of miles of towing. I DO have the push/pull that you experience around a semi but so does a Hensley, so, I think Outback is right. I can't possibly imagine spending 3k for a Hensley just to say I have it and talk about what I've invested in "my family's safety" implying anyone that didn't make that decision is derelict.

Secondly, I would suggest anyone towing a larger trailer with a 1/2 ton (or overloaded) watch that video closely. As the tail starts wagging try to imagine or envision the forces at play on the chassis/axles (what everyone seems to worry about) but also; the shocks, tires, springs, all the mounts, etc. When forces of that magnitude start building a 1/2 ton truck has very little chance of winning - the parts just aren't built for it. While you're envisioning that, envision what that crash scene looked like, the carnage and despair left by towing too fast, apparently/probably overloaded and having not a clue what you're doing. Of course those are purely speculation on my part, BUT, I never want to be there.
Old 08-31-2017, 03:49 PM   #34
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I can't possibly imagine spending 3k for a Hensley just to say I have it and talk about what I've invested in "my family's safety" implying anyone that didn't make that decision is derelict.
Yes, that's the major MO of Hensley/Propride owners: to just broadcast "I have it". Ill-founded assumptions like this run rampant on this forum and it gets old. Implications can work both ways when certain members condemn those just for pulling trailers with a 1/2 ton TV, even though they are within all specs and limits.

And yes, I'll reiterate 1000 times over that my family's safety is priceless without blinking an eye.

Old 08-31-2017, 03:53 PM   #35
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outback 325BH View Post
Also, 99% of the WDH setups I see at campgrounds are not setup correctly.
Another non-objective assumption that goes to print in this forum. Good grief...

Old 08-31-2017, 04:12 PM   #36
32feetoffun

Sway control or not?

I'm definitely not in the "flaunt it" category, and it's definitely not because I don't understand a proper towing setup. I stand behind my decision to purchase a Hensley.

There are many good points on all sides. There is no doubt that practice with your setup will make you better. Know how to load you rig, both TT and TV. Too many people assume "if it fits..." or "if I can attach it to my TT bumper...". This is foolish and can lead to catastrophe.

I completely agree that many people drive around with improperly setup WDH, that's a byproduct of lack of experience/failure to know their setups. Also a bad combination. There are plenty of good sway "control" setups, but it really does come down to how much you trust that setup with the safety of your passengers. If you're good with your setup than that's fine.

For me, a $2200 reconditioned Hensley wasn't a significant jump from a $600-$700 sway control WDH setup.

It's not a contest to see who's setup is better. Let's remember these forums are designed for getting info out to those who have questions. My goal is to learn and get better and safer.

Old 08-31-2017, 04:43 PM   #37
JRTJH
Site Team

This thread has certainly strayed from the OP's question: "I have an '05 F-350 dually pulling a 28' hideout TT. Will my truck still feel the "white knuckle" effects of the wind and passing trucks that a smaller truck does?"

It seems that the focus of the thread has shifted well away from towing a 28' light weight trailer with a dual rear wheel pickup and has become a "testimonial for Hensley"... It's been "touted" that if you don't have a Hensley, you're derelict in protecting your family and that nothing else compares. Whether those statements are accurate or not really isn't the reason for the thread.

Honestly, with the OP's truck/trailer combination, he would likely see no improvement with a Hensley over a properly adjusted "clamp-on sway bar".

Let's not lose sight of what we're supposed to be discussing. It's not whether a Hensley is worth the investment or even if it works, rather the topic is: What's necessary for a dual rear wheel truck towing a 28' trailer?

The "real answer" to his initial question is, "No, you probably will not notice any significant difference in towing and sway control with or without additional anti-sway devices, but you probably would benefit from a weight distribution hitch."

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 04:53 PM   #38
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Yes, that's the major MO of Hensley/Propride owners: to just broadcast "I have it". Ill-founded assumptions like this run rampant on this forum and it gets old. Implications can work both ways when certain members condemn those just for pulling trailers with a 1/2 ton TV, even though they are within all specs and limits.

And yes, I'll reiterate 1000 times over that my family's safety is priceless without blinking an eye.

Well, I had written a very long post to correct the above comments but I saw John's comment on the thread....and he is right so I deleted it. Maybe we can discuss the merits of some of the posts like the one above one day......
Old 08-31-2017, 05:45 PM   #39
Dball

Thank you to all that have offered advice and experience. I think I'm gonna purchase an equalizer hitch over the winter. The knowledge you people have and are willing to share is super helpful to those of us who are just getting started. Thank you guys for all of your time and discussion.
Dball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 06:17 PM   #40
Johnny's Journey

I haven't yet up graded to an E4 but it has it's advantage in another area I experienced with a traditional WDH with sway control which will/can include the high dollar unit that was highly recommended. Basically by designed the size of the ball mount must be larger so sway control can be attached. This can cause turning issues when you need to turn as tight as possible when parking in tight situations at times. In my case I had room to spare before TV and TT would come in contact with each other but the ball mount tagged the frame of the TT and was the cause of a bent hitch bin that I questioned on this forum some time back. An E4 will not tag the frame rails of the trailer like a conventional unit and is a much more compact design with much greater advantages all around.
Johnny's Journey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sway control