Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 12-19-2017, 12:08 PM   #1
TyeeMan

Weight Distributing Hitches and Driveways

Hey Everybody,

This coming spring the wife and I will be picking up our new Premier 29RKPR, this will be the first trailer I've owned or pulled that will require a WDH.
My question(s) is/are, are you limited to what kind of driveway one can pull into while the spring bars are connected? I have to believe that if one pulls into a steep drive way or anything else that dramatically changes the angle of the TV in relation to the trailer something has to give.

My drive way at home is at a pretty good angle in relation to the street, the few times a year the TT would be in our driveway, would I drop the trailer on the hitch, pull into the street where it's level and then connect the spring bars?

Just trying to get educated as much as possible before we make the deal.

Thanks in advance for your help!
TyeeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 01:35 PM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

I have the same issue. Very difficult to connect bars at an angle so would pull out to street to connect. Than installed air bags on tv and just air them up to align the hitch.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 05:28 PM   #3
Gegrad

Yes, if you park on a steep hill you might have to tow it down to a level area to connect the bars. I parked on a fairly unlevel site in October that sloped upwward and was unable to disconnect my bars at the site. I had to back up to a level spot to disconnect them.
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 06:18 AM   #4
TyeeMan

So how about drive way approaches like say at a gas station or restaurant, etc? Do you have to choose your driveways wisely or are the spring bars somewhat forgiving?
Old 12-20-2017, 10:28 AM   #5
mfifield01

On my Equalizer, I go into areas with grades and don't take the bars off (gas stations, etc.). I think the only issue would be actually taking them to off to unhitch if you are at a weird angle. Depending on angle, I've had to raise the back end of the truck a lot to get the bars off of the L-brackets.
Old 12-20-2017, 10:34 AM   #6
Gegrad

They are designed to be towed at awkward angles, as they all flex and rotate together. You shouldn't have any problems with towing or or down angles. The only problem would be getting them connected or disconnected.
Old 12-20-2017, 11:03 AM   #7
TyeeMan

Great, thanks for the info!

Gegrad, how do like your Premier? Holding up pretty well?

What engine/tranny do you have in your Silverado?

For a year or two I'll be towing with my GMC 1500Hd, 4X4, CC 6.0l. Trying to get a feel for how that might work.
Going to upgrade trucks in a year or two and not sure if I should go 3/4 ton or 1/2 ton.
Having a 3/4 ton now (1500 HD is a rebaged 2500) is great but, , ,
Old 12-20-2017, 02:07 PM   #8
Gegrad

Yeah, Premier has been good, I have only had it since July. I upgraded to LR E tires and put a wet bolt kit on it. I did that at the right time- the factory bushings were shot.

I have the 5.3 with the 6 speed.

That 1500HD with the 6.0 shouldn't have a problem, as I recall those trucks had a 8600 lb gvwr (My father had one). Too bad they don't make 1500HDs anymore. You will probably want a 2500, esp if you want 4WD. That 4WD lowers your payload by 200-300 lbs, so a 1/2 ton 4WD might not have the payload you need, except maybe if you go Ford. They have some very high payload 1/2 tons.
Old 12-20-2017, 02:19 PM   #9
Jay Pat

I don't disconnect the bars.
For steep driveways, I am a lot more concerned about dragging the rear of the trailer.
Pat
Jay Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 10:01 AM   #10
TyeeMan

Thanks for your comment Pat, sounds like i might be over analyzing the hitch thing.

Gegrad, thanks also for your input. Our current trailer is a 26' SunnyBrook, about 4500 lbs dry with a rather flat front. My truck pulls it fine until you get into head winds, kind of like pulling a parachute. My hope is that our new Premier with the swept back nose will pull a little easier, , even though its a bit heavier than our SB.
It doesn't help having only 3.73 gears. 4.11s would be a whole diffetent story.
Old 01-21-2018, 05:37 AM   #11
Mad Cow

If folks can bring their TT's down my gravel road, into my inclined gravel drive, and maneuver them into my pole barn for winter storage (which in some cases even means pulling out into the corn field to line up for backing), then any average driveways and such should not be an issue. No one ever disconnects WDT's before putting their trailer in my barn. Down to one trailer there now. Neighbor has a golf cart business and has been storing dozens of his golf carts in my pole barn for last two winters.
Mad Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 03:14 PM   #12
Tebpac

Interesting read. We too have an angled driveway. It slopes toward the street and also downhill towards the main road. With our Popup, it would sometimes be troublesome hooking it up. Sometimes it would drop on or other times, I'd have to angle the truck to get it to connect. Good info here.
Tebpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 09:37 AM   #13
Claudius

I always hook up on level ground. If i'm backing it up and its not a straight backup i'll disconnect so i don't end up pushing the chain too hard into the frame, Or straining it, that includes both my sway bars also. Up steep inclines you can't always avoid, haven't had any issues there in 30 years. I had rear skid plates on both my last trailers which did show that they hit. That is important. My new one doesn't have them and i ripped the sewer storage holder off coming off the ferry. Need to do something about that. So the rear end is just as important as your front end...lol
Claudius is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch