Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 11-19-2017, 09:46 PM   #1
Miller52

Car Volt Meter question

I’m wondering if you could use a car volt meter (designed for cigarette lighter outlet) in the trailer to monitor the battery charge. You could use the 12 volt outlet that is part of the antenna booster. Im not confident with installing a volt meter and I thought this could be an easy plug and play option.

Any insight would be appreciated.
Miller52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 09:51 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

I have a Volt meter that plugs into a 12V outlet and displays voltage reading. I use it during PDI to verify the plug is live. Only cost about $20.00 if I remember and got it from our parts department.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 08:10 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

I've got a 12 volt "cigarette lighter" LED voltmeter that I used to use in the power outlet on our TV antenna booster. It worked well, I could simply "pull it out a little" to disconnect it when not in use (saves battery power that way) or push it into the outlet, read the battery voltage and know the battery charge condition much better than the "system status panel lights"...

I got it from Amazon for about $5 https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Bat...led+volt+meter

Since then, I've installed a "power panel" with a built in voltmeter, USB charge ports and an extra power outlet. https://www.amazon.com/Cllena-Functi...led+volt+meter It's a permanent installation with a off/on switch to save power. For us, it works better than the "cigarette lighter LED voltmeter" but I still have that one stashed away in the trailer.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 07:36 AM   #4
ChuckS

Why not purchase and inexpensive multi meter and educate yourself on how to use it.. this would be helpful down the road when you have other troubles.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/How+To+...ltimeter/25632

Nothing wrong with the other idea but learning to use a multi meter is useful for so much more
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote