Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Freeways & Byways
Click Here to Login

Old 06-09-2017, 11:48 AM   #21
Jetfixer03

Wow, that would be an adventure. Officially added to the wish list. Good luck, be safe, have fun!

Jetfixer03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 11:56 AM   #22
Desert185

Another US CBP story.

When coming back to America at Bellingham airport with my airplane, they ask if I have any firearms or knives. I say yes. Abhorrent with the info, she asks if Canada knows that. I say yes. She asks why I have them. "Well, because if my engine quits and I survive the landing I can't call 911, AAA or a cab. I'm now in a survival situation. If I or my wife is injured and bleeding I may have to protect ourselves from predatory animals until rescued." Blank stare...

The Canadians seem to understand the requirement, although I am sometimes asked why I have a firearm. Mentioning that I might be low on cash and have to knock over a liquor store is not the answer they're looking for.

-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 11:59 AM   #23
MerlinB

Last summer I traveled to the Canadian Maritime provinces with a caravan group. One of the couples had a shotgun and they had the required Canadian paperwork to cross the border with it. However, when they attempted to pass through Customs they were not allowed to bring the shotgun because it was not "hunting season." They had to go back to the last town before the border and they were able to find a hardware store that was willing to store it for them until we returned. So, having the permit is not always the complete answer.
2007.5 Ram 3500 DRW, B & W Companion
MerlinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 12:16 PM   #24
JRTJH
Site Team

When we were stationed in Alaska in the Air Force we were not allowed to transport private firearms through Canada when driving to Alaska or when returning to the lower 48 after serving in Alaska. All firearms had to be shipped "in household goods" or in "advance hold baggage" to our next duty station. I often wondered why it was "OK" for some unknown truck driver to transport my firearms and I couldn't transport them myself. I asked the question several times and never got any answer other than the "proverbial shoulder shrug".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 02:48 PM   #25
Steve S

The last time that I was in Canada I bought a few handguns off of a guy who was hanging around a liquor store and looking pretty shady. He asked me why I needed the guns and my answer was " I'm from the US and I'm afraid of ghosts and I hear that there's lots of them up this way" He said oh" You're from the States!" He understood and sold me the guns.
I've lived all over Canada and I'm still looking for these ghosts that ya all afraid of and I've never seen one! lol!
Relax, this is Canada not the US, we don't carry nor do we have the need too.
Old 06-09-2017, 03:11 PM   #26
JRTJH
Site Team

And yet again a thread turns into a "You guys from the states and your guns". Please, this is not the place to point fingers across the border either from the states or from Canada. So, a bit of self restraint in personal opinions can go a long LONG way toward not making relations on the forum difficult.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 03:43 PM   #27
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
The last time that I was in Canada I bought a few handguns off of a guy who was hanging around a liquor store and looking pretty shady. He asked me why I needed the guns and my answer was " I'm from the US and I'm afraid of ghosts and I hear that there's lots of them up this way" He said oh" You're from the States!" He understood and sold me the guns.
I've lived all over Canada and I'm still looking for these ghosts that ya all afraid of and I've never seen one! lol!
Relax, this is Canada not the US, we don't carry nor do we have the need too.
Tell that to the bears and wolves.

I am very fond of Canadians, BTW. Always enjoy the Canadian experience whether its BC, YT, Alberta or Toronto. Very sad to see Brenda at customs in Penticton retire. Delightful woman.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 07:44 PM   #28
Bumala

It's funny, and times may have changed since I was twelve (fifty one years ago), but my dad brought all of his guns through Canada on our way to Alaska. The only thing they required was the guns be rendered inoperable. As I recall, they put a special tywrap through the breach of each gun. I have no guns, so I have no idea, nor inclination to find out.

I lived in Alaska for a number of years, and never felt the need for a gun. I was never attacked by wildlife, and none of my friends have been attacked.

We're truly jazzed about heading up. This is going to be a great adventure. I will be chronicling it www\\bumala.com.
http:\\www.Bumala.com
Bumala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 07:58 PM   #29
Bumala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post
My wife is a third generation homesteader from Palmer/Wasilla. The Reeder's, if that sounds familiar.
I remember the Reeders. I went to school with Curt Reader, if that's any relation.
http:\\www.Bumala.com
Bumala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 08:20 PM   #30
Steve S

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
And yet again a thread turns into a "You guys from the states and your guns". Please, this is not the place to point fingers across the border either from the states or from Canada. So, a bit of self restraint in personal opinions can go a long LONG way toward not making relations on the forum difficult.
I'm not pointing fingers John nor did I. I just don't understand the love for guns and the need to pack one when coming to Canada. Anyone can simply do a search and understand what our rules are without the " guns and Canada " issues being brought up at every given moment. If people don't like the fact that we don't carry guns nor do we want them here then it's simple, stay at home! lol!
A long gun for protection is understandable when off grid for survival, I even own two of them which I take when I head up country. I've never used it in all of these years for protection. I'd rather take a pic of the wildlife than shoot it unless I'm hunting and I use every scrap of the carcass and it's pelt.
But the talk of handguns?? Let's at least agree that packing a handgun across the border is a little far fetched don't you think?