Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-30-2017, 10:50 AM   #1
jkmcbride54

Hitch Requirements for 2006 Cougar and Chevy 2500 short bed

I just purchased a 2006 Cougar that came with a Reese 16K hitch that is NOT a slider hitch. I have a 2008 Chevy 2500HD 6.6 diesel crew cab short bed. Do I need to invest in a slider to keep me from replacing my back window? Is there a safe turning radius?
jkmcbride54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 11:40 AM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

My 07 has the rounded nose and extended pin box. If you 06 is the same you may be okay for most maneuvers. Since you have the hitch, try it and see for yourself if you feel comfortable. JM2¢ , Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 11:42 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Half the membership will tell you yes, half will tell you no. A few will insist that it's the only way you can tow, an equal number will insist that it's a complete waste of money and effort. So, it really comes down to how much towing you're going to do, how attentive you are to your truck/trailer during backing and whether you're the type that wants every safety/ease of use feature or if you're OK with doing things the old-fashioned way.

When it comes right down to it, even without a sliding hitch you can back at angles much greater than any bumper pull trailer, so it really depends on what you want much more than what you need.

I've towed a "round nose" (Cougar XLite) fifth wheel with a short box F250 and a long box F250 and I really don't see any difference, mainly because of the extra 6" of bed length and the rounded nose on the trailer. Prior to that, I towed a Springdale fifth wheel which had a flat nose (similar to your trailer) with an F150 short bed (6.5') and I never had any problems backing anywhere I wanted to go, but I did watch the truck/trailer clearance closely when I was at tight angles.

Other's will definitely have differing views and will express the need or lack of necessity as the thread develops.

Bottom line, no it's not an absolute necessity, but for some, it's nice to have at times.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 01:22 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Measure from the center of the kingpin to the corner of the trailer.

Using that, starting at 1” in front of the rear axle, and midway between the bed rails, just rotate the tape and see how far it will turn before hitting the cab. If it’s enough, then you don’t need a slider, if not then I would consider one.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 12:19 AM   #5
CaptnJohn

HHMMmmm ~~ the lighter pin box on my Cougar was longer than that on my current Montana. I only NEEDED the slider on my F250 SB once but used it about a dozen times for ease. The Ford SB is a few inches longer than GM when every inch can count. I put a B&W Patriot slider in the bed of my F350. Have not needed to slide yet but it is a dream to use with only one drawback ~~ it is heavy. Made in the US with US made steel and CS is only a call away. Your choice ~~ you will never need it until you do...

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 07:25 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

For me, Hankpage made the comment that pretty much seals the decision, at least in my thinking: "Since you have the hitch, try it and see for yourself if you feel comfortable."

If jkmcbride54 were investing in a new hitch, then there'd be a decision to make. But, since the hitch is included in the package, he'll only have to install rails in his truck, rails that will fit either hitch. So, it takes no "additional funds" to try the hitch and see how it works. Then, if he thinks he needs the sliding hitch, it's only a matter of buying it and attaching it to the existing rails that are already in his truck.

I'd be very reluctant to spend several hundred dollars on something I didn't know if I needed "just because".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed, cougar, hitch