Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Freeways & Byways
Click Here to Login

Old 06-23-2017, 07:01 AM   #11
Wildhorse

Well we ran a little test last night because ironically the air conditioning died in our house. Since the trailer was out front I started the generator at around 9:30 pm, and at that time the inside temp was reading 98f. I pulled the bedspread off in hopes that the bed would cool down and set both roof AC's to 72f.

We we're in the trailer for the night at around 10:15, but the temp was only down to 95F. The wall that the thermostat is mounted on was heat soaked and the temp wasn't showing much movement. There was enough airflow over the bed though to make it reasonably comfortable until the AC's began to catch up. I don't know what time it happened, but the temps finally came down enough that my wife complained about being cold which was pretty good IMP because the outside temps were about 90f which is 15 degrees hotter than our destinations night time temps are supposed to be.

I think this forced testing was an invaluable lesson to run the roof AC's while driving because they take a long time to cool down a heat soaked trailer. This morning when I put the bedspread back on the bed it was still holding heat. It felt terrible to pick up. The floor under where it was laying was hot still. So the plan is now to definetly run fuel thru the generator all day while on the road. I'm extremely proud of my carbon footprint, and what's a few gallons of gas running thru a generator anyhow? At least now I know the answer to this question now. The Raptor could easily be unbearably hot for many hours with the AC's trying to overcome the sun when we stop driving for the day. We were't even dealing with that last night and they struggled to do so.

2016 Raptor 355TS
2015 GMC Duramax Denali 1 Ton
2017 Polaris RZR XP1000 Matte Gold Edition
2012 Harley RoadGlide Ultra
Wildhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 07:50 AM   #12
concours

Make sure that nothing is in front of the radiator grill ie bike racks or worst of all a aftermarket grill that restricts the air flow to the rad and tranny cooler the truck will need all the air it can get

Mor/Ryde XFactor and Wet Bolts
1982 BMW R100
concours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 08:55 AM   #13
mfifield01

I'm going to test pre-cooling the TT today. I have the AC running at home right now. My plan is to keep the vents shut and drive to the campsite after unplugging at home. I hope that it takes less to get the TT cooled down when we arrive. Temps are supposed to be 102 with heat index around 111. We have a short drive (1 hours), so that could help keep some of the temps inside down.

I thought about running the generator in the bed of the truck, but I would need to run an extension from the back all the up to the bed.
Old 06-23-2017, 06:32 PM   #14
ctbruce
Site Team

When you first open up the trailer turn on your stove exhaust fan and your bathroom fan to draw the hot air out. Run a couple of floor fans to circulate the air. You'll cool down a lot faster. Run the AC in dump mode until the trailer is to your desired temp.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 10:38 PM   #15
Alpine

This makes a huge difference for us; I have cut two pieces of 1/8 inch foam board (black) to cover both vents in the steps going up to the bath/bedroom. This can be purchased at craft stores/Walmart etc.. No since cooling the basement area! We also purchased the covers for the five floor vents, the are magnetic and very inexpensive! No since cooling the duct work in the floors either! Or just cut some plain ol' cardboard.

Jeff & Jan
Retired & Full-timing since 2013

2012 Ram 3500 Diesel 4X4
Michelin 265/70 R 17

2012 Alpine 3450-RL
TOYO 235/75R-17.5/16 J rated 125lb
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 07:20 AM   #16
Wildhorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
When you first open up the trailer turn on your stove exhaust fan and your bathroom fan to draw the hot air out. Run a couple of floor fans to circulate the air. You'll cool down a lot faster. Run the AC in dump mode until the trailer is to your desired temp.

I'm unfamiliar with this term, but curious. What is the dump mode?

Well day one went well. We drove at 60mph with the cruise set and I checked the trailer tire temps right off at each stop. At the Lake Havasu exit from I-40 they were reading around 145f and all 4 were pretty close to each other. The front tire on the passenger side consistently funs a few degrees higher than the other 3. The temps on my truck tires were pretty close to the trailer tires too. While temps seemed high they were at least consistent with each other. Driving at this speed sure made us an obstacle out there. The semis were blasting past us like we were parked until getting to an uphill where we would overtake them again. What a pain in the butt being stuck to what seemed like the same trucks for long periods of time as we appeared to play follow the leader.

FWIW the roof A/C's kept the interior at around 75f as we drove and it felt like we were driving across the face of the sun when we would stop and get out of the truck. It was pretty nice to arrive at our camp site without a heat soaked camper.

2016 Raptor 355TS
2015 GMC Duramax Denali 1 Ton
2017 Polaris RZR XP1000 Matte Gold Edition
2012 Harley RoadGlide Ultra
Wildhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 07:27 AM   #17
ctbruce
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildhorse View Post
I'm unfamiliar with this term, but curious. What is the dump mode?
Instead of running the AC through the vents, there are louvers that open up to blow directly out of the AC into the cabin area it's in. Allows for unrestricted flow and quicker cooling. You'll have to look at your AC to find it but they are usually towards the sides on the bottom. Once you find them you'll definitely feel the difference.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 08:25 PM   #18
skidooxman

Great info guys. I'm leaving Vegas in aug to head to Maine, it's ok running the generator and the A/C s while driving?

Tags
tow, towing