Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-05-2018, 08:20 AM   #1
MargAki

Towing 2200bh with GMC Yukon

Hi, my husband and I are interested in purchasing the new bullet 2200bh. Is it a good idea to tow in with GMC Yukon? I have had read other forums that they won’t suggest towing 25’ above. But considering the 2200bh is light weight would it still be a bad idea?
MargAki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 09:00 AM   #2
MargAki

Towing 2200bh with GMC Yukon

Hi, I am new to this forum and I find the topics helpful.
I would like to hear your opinion regarding towing the new 2200bh crossfire (4200# dry weight) with GMC Yukon. I really like the lay out plus it is light weight. Yukon can tow 8500# is it gonna be okay driving up the Mountains though?
Old 02-05-2018, 09:58 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

First, you'll never NEVER tow the trailer at "the dry weight". Even when you pick it up from the dealership, they will have added propane, batteries, hitch, "starter kit" (water hose, dump hose, regulator, etc) which will put you several hundred pounds over "the dry weight".

Now, it's NOT a matter of whether "any Yukon" can physically pull the trailer, rather it's a matter of "YOUR Yukon" how it's equipped, how many people you're planning to sleep in that bunkhouse model (and put in the tow vehicle during travel) and how much cargo they will have with them, both in the trailer and in the Yukon.

It's very easy to order a Yukon that is properly equipped to tow a 6300 pound trailer, it's also extremely easy to find one that isn't properly equipped. Then, it's very easy for a small family to safely tow with a properly equipped rig, but it's also EXTREMELY unsafe for a large family to overload both the Yukon and the trailer if they don't pay attention to the limits posted on the door frame of the Yukon and if they don't pay attention to the GVW of the trailer.

A cargo capacity of 2300 pounds seems like a lot to carry, and it usually more than enough for a family of 3 or 4. On the other hand, 2300 pounds is often inadequate for a family of 6 or 7 people with growing children or teens.

Now, you complicate the question by adding "towing in the mountains". I'd suspect you'd want to limit the trailer weight/family weight to roughly 75% of the Yukon's capacity if you're going to tow on mountain roads. You may find that even 75% is too much to ask at higher altitudes.

I'd suspect that there are many valid reasons why others on different forums are suggesting you not go forward with your plans. They aren't just telling you that to be mean and prevent your family from experiencing the enjoyment that comes with RV'ing.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 10:14 AM   #4
ChuckS

My neighbor across the street tows a trailer close to the specs of your setup with an Escalade. His has auto leveling rear shocks and V8 5.7 FI engine.

It tows ok but out here in the Mtns of Idaho he is down to about 35 on a 6% grade and way up on engine RPM to maintain. He has also towed over to Glacier NP, over the Big Horn Mtns, across the Dakotas, etc...

He has said many times he wished he had more power. His control ability has been ok on the down grades and he tows at 60.

25 foot trailer on a Yukon is at the limit.... in my opinion.

Then again I tow a 36 foot Alpine fifth wheel with a 3/4 ton short bed 4x4 duramax diesel and the weight police would frown.

In my opinion I’d stay around 21 feet max length with your Yukon but you will have to research , weigh and decide

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 10:23 AM   #5
Hodgy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargAki View Post
Hi, my husband and I are interested in purchasing the new bullet 2200bh. Is it a good idea to tow in with GMC Yukon? I have had read other forums that they won’t suggest towing 25’ above. But considering the 2200bh is light weight would it still be a bad idea?
Welcome from just West of you. JRTJH gave you a good answer and pointed you in the right direction. In your other post you wondered about towing in the mountains.

I have towed in the mountains you talk about and it is not a pleasure having a TV that is not up to the job by weight or horsepower. We bought our first TT in 30 years last fall. We found a floor plan we liked and then went about finding a light in weight trailer. Now, there are only two of us and we can get away with a small trailer in both size and weight. All I have to do is look around at what we have already assembled for toys and such and all of the necessary items that you will stuff in the kitchen cupboards. If you look at my signature you will see what we have for a TV and what we bought for a TT.

I can see we will easily add 700 to 1000 lbs of stuff between the truck and trailer. As JRTJH said, look the limits posted on the drivers door frame and go from there. Also remember no matter what the trailer weighs, you are towing a big sail behind you, can you say chinook ?

2016 Bullet 1800RB, UVW 3260, led by a 2005 Chev Silverado Z-71 1500, Crew Cab, 5.3L, 4WD, Tow & Off Road Package with 4.10 Rear Axle, GVR 7000 lbs, Front GWAR 3925 lbs & Rear GWAR 4000 lbs., Payload 1600 lbs., Hellwig 6012 Air Bags. 97' Honda Goldwing GL1500.
Home Base is the Alberta Foothills at 4300 ' ASL.
Hodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 10:27 AM   #6
Hodgy

Oops, looks like I posted on your other post not this one.

2016 Bullet 1800RB, UVW 3260, led by a 2005 Chev Silverado Z-71 1500, Crew Cab, 5.3L, 4WD, Tow & Off Road Package with 4.10 Rear Axle, GVR 7000 lbs, Front GWAR 3925 lbs & Rear GWAR 4000 lbs., Payload 1600 lbs., Hellwig 6012 Air Bags. 97' Honda Goldwing GL1500.
Home Base is the Alberta Foothills at 4300 ' ASL.
Hodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 09:18 PM   #7
MargAki

Thanks for all your comments. Helps a lot! Now we need to look for a smaller rv with lower weight I guess.
Old 02-05-2018, 11:29 PM   #8
busterbrown

I think a properly equipped late model GMC Yukon can adequately (and safely) tow a relatively light weight 25 ft "no-slideout" Bullet Crossfire. The only variant Yukon I would be reluctant to pull with would be the 3rd generation Hybrid models that were produced for a limited number of months.

At 4,000 lbs dry, you'll have to assume around 1,000 lbs of cargo will be loaded into the trailer when "ready to go camping". For that size trailer, piling in 2300 lbs of cargo would be a challenge and unrealistic for a week long excursion. Correct distribution of weight (equally behind and in front of the axles) should "roughly" amount to 12-15% of tongue weight. Assuming the larger 750 lbs of TW, your payload will be reduced by that same amount. IIRC, these full size GM SUV's have payload capacity ranging from 1400 and 1600 lbs. That gives you about 750 lbs of workable payload remaining for your passengers, cargo, and weight distribution hitch. The WDH is directly deducted from the TV's payload.

Obviously, if someone is hauling a crew of 8 adults in their Yukon to the campsite, their probably going to be exceeding payload, GVWR, axle ratios, and tire capacities. But if the intent is several summer trips across Alberta with a realistic family of 4, the combo in question should be adequate. Yes, a 3/4 or 1 ton diesel would run up the mountain quicker and with authority, no doubt. But it's not a requirement. With a good brake controller, LT tires, a quality WDH with proper sway control, the mountain ascents and descents would be controlled and safe. The newer Vortec engines love to rev but the new 6 and 8 speed tranny's help tremendously over the 2nd generation 4 speeds.

My previous Yukon XL Denali towed my much heavier, longer, and substantial 35 foot travel trailer up and down the east coast mountains very comfortably. Unfortunately, it was an aging vehicle and we approached the "Achilles heel" of payload capacity at the end of the first travel season. If I owned a trailer around the same size of the 2200bh Crossfire and my Yukon were a few years newer, I would have never 'invested' $50K in a new Ram 2500.

Remember, late model 1/2 ton trucks properly equipped are much more capable than similar models just 20 years earlier. Most believe it but never promote it. I do both. Just keep your numbers well under the placards, follow the advice for safe towing, and don't race to your destination.

Safe travels and have fun
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 07:50 AM   #9
{tpc}

I think there is more information needed to properly determine how well or not well the Yukon will do. Age, gearing, engine size, size of the people and how many, all will play a factor.

I think your on the right track by looking at a smaller unit. Either that, or a bigger truck! But that might not be in the budget. Just remember that even if you get a smaller unit, you really won't know 100% until you get everything weighed. And of course, that comes after you buy all the cool stuff you want for your new trailer! You will be surprised at how much the gear adds up.
Old 02-14-2018, 09:18 AM   #10
linux3

I fully agree that you need to know how your GMC is configured.
I would also look around the web for a Yukon owners forum. I subscribe to a couple of Silverado forums and they both have towing camping sections. You will likely find someone with a truck like yours pulling a comparable weight.
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 10:28 PM   #11
MargAki

So after further research and with all your comments, we decided not to go through with 2200bh. My husband spoke with the sales agent and told him that we think it is not safe for us to tow the TT. Earlier today we went to weigh our 2017 yukon and got 6500lbs with 3 passengers and some stuff. As per our TV total weight combine is 12000lbs so that leads us to 5500lbs towing rate despite of what it says in the paper stating that our yukon could tow 6300lbs. We understand that with other stuff that we carry with us in the TV and passengers, it would really contribute a lot with the numbers. We were not impressed with the response we got from the Carstairs RV Alberta sales agent. Told us that we are over reacting with the numbers and promised that we are safe to go with TT and that its light weight is made for vehicles like ours. Yes, the 2200bh has a dry weight of 4070lbs + other stuff that will lead us to let say 5000lbs, having said that I don’t think we will be comfortable and safe with nearly our limit.
Its so sad to think that other people will compromise money over safety. And also, I don’t think we would get our downpayment back even though it was said to be refundable because “they already made preparations and cost them $1000”. And added it is “refundable” when they thought we will buy the TT. I guess it wasn’t refundable at all.
Old 02-18-2018, 02:09 AM   #12
notanlines

Marg, after the debacle with Carstairs RV, if you don't get your $1000 back, you are allowed to use the phrase "low-bred sorry dogs" when referring to them in the future......like all over social media.
In looking at their Facebook page, it appears that you aren't the only dissatisfied people.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 04:43 AM   #13
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
So after further research and with all your comments, we decided not to go through with 2200bh. My husband spoke with the sales agent and told him that we think it is not safe for us to tow the TT. Earlier today we went to weigh our 2017 yukon and got 6500lbs with 3 passengers and some stuff. As per our TV total weight combine is 12000lbs so that leads us to 5500lbs towing rate despite of what it says in the paper stating that our yukon could tow 6300lbs. We understand that with other stuff that we carry with us in the TV and passengers, it would really contribute a lot with the numbers. We were not impressed with the response we got from the Carstairs RV Alberta sales agent. Told us that we are over reacting with the numbers and promised that we are safe to go with TT and that its light weight is made for vehicles like ours. Yes, the 2200bh has a dry weight of 4070lbs + other stuff that will lead us to let say 5000lbs, having said that I don’t think we will be comfortable and safe with nearly our limit.
Its so sad to think that other people will compromise money over safety. And also, I don’t think we would get our downpayment back even though it was said to be refundable because “they already made preparations and cost them $1000”. And added it is “refundable” when they thought we will buy the TT. I guess it wasn’t refundable at all.
They prep the trailer? I'd expect that from my dealer. So....does that mean they don't require a deposit from the next person because it's already done? Crooks and cheats can come in all shapes and sizes. In this case it is this all for me, none for you RV dealer.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 05:58 AM   #14
CaptnJohn

What could they have done to cost that much? They have to do whatever at some point so that is BS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 07:44 AM   #15
NorskeBob

Good decision on the purchase.
More should check the weight of their tow vehicle with passengers, GVWR of the tow vehicle and potential RV weight - loaded for camping prior to the purchase. Most dealers focus on the trailer sale and not proper vehicle for towing the RV.

RV - 2017 Avalanche 320RS
TV - 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4
NorskeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 08:41 AM   #16
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:

I commend you on the thought you have put into this process and the choice you have made. So many don't think about it in time or don't care. You have gone about this in the proper fashion.

As far as the dealer, your down payment should be refunded. You might want to get a little cross ways with them. For sure I would ask for an itemized list of what was done that "cost them $1000". It can't/won't be anything that they wouldn't have to do to sell the rig to you or anyone else. Are they going to charge the next guy for the same thing? Probably. I would also give them the numbers you came up with along with all the things the salesman told you. He was misleading you and putting you and your family in harms way. THEY were at fault here. Now, cruise on down there, prop your feet up on the owner/GMs desk and tell him "I'm here for my money".
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 12:14 PM   #17
MargAki

Hi everyone! We're able to get our money back, though it wasn't that easy because we had to speak to ArrKann's general manager (mother company of Carstairs RV). Now, we decided to go with Micro Minnie 1706fb. Thanks for all your help.
Old 03-01-2018, 12:45 PM   #18
sourdough
Site Team

Great! Congrats on getting that resolved and finding something that will work for you. It's unfortunate that you had to make waves but we are sometimes forced to.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 01:40 PM   #19
Ken / Claudia

Great news on the refund. Get back to us after your 1st trip and tell us about it.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 04:15 PM   #20
mikz86ta

My neighbor had a light weight Outback and a Tahoe. Supposed to have had the towing package. Misleading....
The coil rear springs were too soft and the young was super low.

That being said, they could have easily added better coil springs or even better air bags. Also sway control was on their list.
However they had an Avalanche which was already better equipped.

Your Yukon should be capable of you take in account as what was already mentioned as far as wet weight. Just need to do your math
mikz86ta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing