Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 01-28-2018, 07:57 PM   #21
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I wish you the best trying to extend your trailer tire's lives...no matter what they are. I can't imagine keeping tires for even 6 years on a heavy RV. I don't keep them that long on a truck (or close) and I buy premium tires. To me, and I'm sorry, that's penny pinching at the expense of the family. ST, LT, XLT etc. 6 years is just not something I would ever consider unless I was unable to replace them. Encouraging, or promoting that practice is a bad thing to me for folks new to towing -
I don’t see the need to change tires be it TV or trailer every three to four years, just like changing engine oil every 3,000 miles, just a waste of money and resources.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 08:02 PM   #22
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolo4u View Post
If I had bought the exact same tire at a “regular tire shop” for, say..., $145, is that any different?

Would you never buy the same $200 tire you bought if it were on sale?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Sure, but either tire shops make a ton on tires, or Wally World is selling as a loss leader!
Old 01-28-2018, 08:11 PM   #23
Bolo4u

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Sure, but either tire shops make a ton on tires, or Wally World is selling as a loss leader!

My guess, it’s the latter. As I posted earlier, the shop who mounted the tires found the invoice attached to one of the tires, I ordered from Walmart. They were kissed because it’s the same wholesale seller who they deal with, and the cost to Walmart was less than theirs. The owner went to call the wholesaler while they mounted my tires. I don’t know the outcome of the phonecall...

Disclaimer: the same shop gave me an estimate a week or so earlier, and it was about $200 more than what I paid for the tires and their mounting services.

I respect your opinion, but we’ll have to agree to disagree on my using “cheap” tires and your using “luxury” tires.

Bolo4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 03:29 AM   #24
Tinner12002

Quote:
FWIW, the exact same $67 tire ordered through Walmart is about $100 at various online venders and $120 at discount tires. Also, I’m sure you’re aware, the ST designation is intended specifically as a trailer tire vs. the LT, which can be used on a trailer, isn’t intended as such. My tires are rated at #3520 single and #3080 doubled. So I have every confidence in the tires and the $$ savings can be used for fun stuff.

Are you 100% sure its the same quality tire....might be the same size but you have know way of knowing, unless you purchased both and compared them if its a 1st or 2nd run tire. Nothing against Carlisle but I choose to pay a little more for my tires hoping I'm getting a 1st run tire. Its my choice to not buy tires at wally world, doesn't mean you all can't, as my first comment was, "you all do what you want", but just saying wally tires won't be going on anything of mine. That's all I'm saying about it....Hope everyone has a great start to a new week!!
Tinner12002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 06:21 AM   #25
Bolo4u

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinner12002 View Post
Are you 100% sure its the same quality tire....might be the same size but you have know way of knowing, unless you purchased both and compared them if its a 1st or 2nd run tire. Nothing against Carlisle but I choose to pay a little more for my tires hoping I'm getting a 1st run tire. Its my choice to not buy tires at wally world, doesn't mean you all can't, as my first comment was, "you all do what you want", but just saying wally tires won't be going on anything of mine. That's all I'm saying about it....Hope everyone has a great start to a new week!!

Discount tire... Are you 100% certain those tires aren’t 2nd run tires? After all, they’re selling at a discount... Unless you purchase tires and check side by side, how would you know? And again, the tires I bought had an invoice attached, which was from the same wholesale dealer the tire shop I regularly deal with (a Firestone repair facility) uses. So yes, I’m exceptionally confident they are 1st run, good quality tires. In fact, I’m certain the tires I received from Walmart are likely the exact tires I would have received had I bought them from Firestone.

Does anyone think, if Walmart were selling seconds, in the volume in which they seem to be selling, they would be hearing loud and clear complaints from their customers??

It’s unfortunate, how some automatically think that just because Walmart is selling the brand XX tire “on sale”, they must be seconds...

Something else, these weren’t tires the store stocks, as my store doesn’t have a service center. I had them shipped to the store from a wholesaler, not from a Walmart warehouse.

With that theory in mind, I suppose it’s safe to say anything purchased through amazon, is likely a second, because they are selling at a discount.

Old 01-29-2018, 08:08 AM   #26
travelin texans

Funny you mention Amazon, the last couple items I've ordered from Amazon arrived at my door with a white label with a bar code & the name & address of the local Wal-Mart. So I guess those items were/are 2nd 2nds.
Nowadays if WM were selling tires that were 2nd runs they would be on the news every night with someone sueing their a##s off & winning.
Personally I don't care where you buy your tires, but in my case financially I have to shop for the best deal & other than Billy Joe Bobs used tire sales I'll get them wherever that deal can be had.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 08:09 AM   #27
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinner12002 View Post
Tinner,

Do you have any information to support the "1st/2nd run tire" theory? Is there anything that you've encountered to suggest that WalMart is trying to "dupe the public" or "unload a bunch of maypops"? Have you heard from or read articles to suggest that WalMart sells inferior ST tires to the public?

Or is your suspicion based solely on the sales price? If it is, then are the 2017 trucks Ford, GM and RAM are offering huge discounts on also 2nd run products? Are the 30% off appliances at Lowe's also 2nd run? How about (as Bolo4u indicated) most of the items sold on Amazon?

If you've got any data to support your theory, please give us all a "heads-up"....

Back in the day, we used to shop at the Levi's Over-run store in the Discount Mall just east of Memphis, TN. Everything in that store was marked "irregular" or "rejected" (probably by inspector #5) and the size tag was cut halfway through to show it was an "irregular item".....

All of the Carlisle tires I've seen at WalMart have identical markings, identical part numbers, identical molds and identical tags. How is it that the warehouse (or the tire plant for that matter) can keep them separated? Or is it possible that Firestone Tire Center (or some other "full price outlet") might be getting the 2nd's from the wrong pile while WalMart is getting the 1st's that were picked out of the warehouse by mistake???

Are there any markings on any of the Carlisle tires you suspect as 2nd's that you're aware of?

Or is this "just a suspicion I have, because they're so cheap to buy" ??????

Inquiring minds want to know what you know that the rest of us don't (yet)... Please give us that inside scoop on how WalMart is pulling off this "greatest heist on the public" ......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 08:22 AM   #28
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Good enough. I think we've seen from your posts you are very comfortable with stretching the limits of most everything so I'm not going to argue with you. I would just encourage others to listen to folks that don't want to get by with the "least" they can. YMMV
I will disagree with getting away with the least I can.
My TV is more than capable of carrying/pulling our 5er. It is also more than capable of stopping it, I have one of the best exhaust brakes on the market, PacBrake. Very seldom do I need to touch the service brakes descending most grades. Most of the time I do it is to inform the driver behind me that I am slowing.

Tires, yep, I did push the OEM tires, but paid close attention to condition. I was weighing what would be the best way to go with replacements. Had I had a 1,000 mile trip in the works they would have been replaced before that trip.

I chose tire for carrying capacity, quality, and tread design. I live in the PNW so wet traction is important to me, this means the tread needs to have lots sipping to get the best stopping power. The same goes for the TV tires.

This is what I consider a great trailer tire tread design.

Old 01-29-2018, 08:39 AM   #29
Andymil

I know these are not what the OP is looking for, but I just ordered 4 Goodyear Endurance ST235-80-16 tires from Discount Tire. $148.99 each and $100 in rebates.
Andymil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 08:40 AM   #30
Bolo4u

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
I will disagree with getting away with the least I can.

My TV is more than capable of carrying/pulling our 5er. It is also more than capable of stopping it, I have one of the best exhaust brakes on the market, PacBrake. Very seldom do I need to touch the service brakes descending most grades. Most of the time I do it is to inform the driver behind me that I am slowing.

Tires, yep, I did push the OEM tires, but paid close attention to condition. I was weighing what would be the best way to go with replacements. Had I had a 1,000 mile trip in the works they would have been replaced before that trip.

I chose tire for carrying capacity, quality, and tread design. I live in the PNW so wet traction is important to me, this means the tread needs to have lots sipping to get the best stopping power. The same goes for the TV tires.

This is what I consider a great trailer tire tread design.

With the exception of the center rib, the Carlisle look very similar. Also, note the load rating, #3520

I’d MUCH rather spend $4-500 every 3-4 years on new, trustworthy tires, (from Walmart [emoji57]) than hope 10-12 year old tires last the duration of a trip. What you see on the outside may not be indicative of what’s hiding inside.

Old 01-29-2018, 08:46 AM   #31
Andymil

Quote:
I ordered 5 ST235/80R16 E/10 for our 5r middle of last year, prior to a big trip, and had my local tire shop install them.
Just curious, why did you order tires from Walmart, and not have Walmart install them?
Old 01-29-2018, 09:05 AM   #32
Bolo4u

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andymil View Post
Just curious, why did you order tires from Walmart, and not have Walmart install them?

My Walmart does not have a service center.

Old 01-29-2018, 09:25 AM   #33
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Many WalMart service centers will not jack or remove tires from a trailer (cars/trucks only) and many don't have parking facilities for RV's. My local WalMart will only remove wheels from vehicles that fit INSIDE the service bay and ON the lift. All others are turned away.

So, buy Carlisle tires at the best price and take them (with the RV) to a tire center that does work on RV's and pay them to mount/balance the tires. It still works out with a significant savings, since most tire centers don't include mounting/balance in their tire prices and charge the same service fee for tires they sell or tires you bring in.

As a side note, some (not all) WalMart tire service centers will mount tires on wheels that you bring in, so you can get the job done at many of them. And as a second side note, some members have reported that their WalMart service center will mount tires purchased at that store "for free", so it may pay to just bring in the tire/wheel and let them do their thing.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 01-29-2018, 09:29 AM   #34
Bolo4u

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Many WalMart service centers will not jack or remove tires from a trailer (cars/trucks only) and many don't have parking facilities for RV's. My local WalMart will only remove wheels from vehicles that fit INSIDE the service bay and ON the lift. All others are turned away.

So, buy Carlisle tires at the best price and take them (with the RV) to a tire center that does work on RV's and pay them to mount/balance the tires. It still works out with a significant savings, since most tire centers don't include mounting/balance in their tire prices and charge the same service fee for tires they sell or tires you bring in.

As a side note, some (not all) WalMart tire service centers will mount tires on wheels that you bring in, so you can get the job done at many of them. And as a second side note, some members have reported that their WalMart service center will mount tires purchased at that store "for free", so it may pay to just bring in the tire/wheel and let them do their thing.....

[emoji1312][emoji1312][emoji1312] Exactly. It cost me $125 to have Firestone mount and balance the tires (5 total). Plus, they have a huge paved area behind their shop where I was able to turn around and park while they did the work.

Old 01-29-2018, 09:47 AM   #35
Andymil

I understand. I was thinking of pulling the wheels one side at a time and taking them to get changed. Even the Walmarts that have a service center aren’t set up for trailers.
Old 01-29-2018, 10:00 AM   #36
JRTJH
Site Team

Andymil,

Most WalMarts that have tire service are set up to handle trailer wheels/tires. They just don't jack or remove wheels from trailers, probably because the work is done outside and they don't want to deal with dragging tools into the parking lot or working in the rain on "weather days".... As for trailer vs automotive wheels, the only difference is the "centering device" used during balancing, and most "newer computer balance machines can compensate for lug/wheel centric balancing requirements.

If you're planning to take the wheels in for tire change, I'd contact that specific WalMart and ask if they include tire mounting as a "free service" and ask them if they will mount tires on trailer wheels. From what I've been told, half do/half don't.... You might save another $30-40......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 01-29-2018, 12:48 PM   #37
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Andymil,

Most WalMarts that have tire service are set up to handle trailer wheels/tires. They just don't jack or remove wheels from trailers, probably because the work is done outside and they don't want to deal with dragging tools into the parking lot or working in the rain on "weather days".... As for trailer vs automotive wheels, the only difference is the "centering device" used during balancing, and most "newer computer balance machines can compensate for lug/wheel centric balancing requirements.

If you're planning to take the wheels in for tire change, I'd contact that specific WalMart and ask if they include tire mounting as a "free service" and ask them if they will mount tires on trailer wheels. From what I've been told, half do/half don't.... You might save another $30-40......
Our local Discount Tire did a full service remove, dismount, mount new and dynamic balance and reinstall.

No messing around here get it up in the air and go to work!!
The nice thing about this picture is you can see the Shocks, heavy duty shackles (with wet bolts), and the Correct Track system. If you look close you can also see the JT Strong Arms. What you don't see is "Air Bags" not needed with the Camper Package!!

They also know where to place the jacks on the axle!

Old 01-29-2018, 01:06 PM   #38
wbdvt

Quote:
I understand. I was thinking of pulling the wheels one side at a time and taking them to get changed. Even the Walmarts that have a service center aren’t set up for trailers.
When the weather permits, probably in April, I will remove the wheels from one side and drop them off at a tire shop. While they are off, I plan to repack the bearings and inspect the brakes. Seems like an opportune time!

BTW, I ordered from WM the Carlisle Radial Trail HD ST225/75R13 Load Range E, speed limit 80 mph. Since the original tires are load range D and speed limited to 65mph, I should have a nice safety margin in both load and speed as I usually travel at 65mph with only occasional visits to higher speeds when passing.
2014 Cougar X-Lite 21RBS
His & Hers 2016 Vespa Sprint 150's
wbdvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 02:25 PM   #39
notanlines

Good deal, Barry. Post up on the condition of the brakes and bearings. We all need to know what these look like after a period of time.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 02:34 PM   #40
wbdvt

Tires arrived today and have a date code of 0317. They are also stamped Made in China.
2014 Cougar X-Lite 21RBS
His & Hers 2016 Vespa Sprint 150's
wbdvt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires