Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-20-2018, 05:27 PM   #1
Fredapryer

Floor

I found the camper I purchased had a leak. We thought it was the window as we were told before we purchased it. We got a week of rain, then we began to see the carpet was wet beside the bedroom window. On the other side of the bedroom, the floor has a weak spot, the carpet along the wall turned orange. What can I do to repair this without taking the whole bedroom apart? By the way, it had cracks on the roof we repaired them, waiting for rain.
Fredapryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 05:35 PM   #2
Tbos

You are going to have to pull up the carpet to see what you are dealing with. Get a dehumidifier in there to dry everything out. Let us know what you find.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRW
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 05:42 PM   #3
Fredapryer

We did that, that's when I notice the carpet had turned orange and was coming up as I pulled at it. We will try to take the carpet up, in that corner is it a certain way you have to go about it.
Fredapryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 05:50 PM   #4
Tbos

Fortunately I have not had to do it before. I don’t know if they use nail boards like they do in a house. Since you may need to replace it anyway I think I’d just see if you can pull it up from a corner. Hopefully someone that has done it will chime in. There are a couple folks that have done just about everything at one time or another on this forum.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRW
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 06:03 PM   #5
travelin texans

Mine had no tack strip like residential, but did have thousands of staples, they must get paid by the staple. You should be able to just pull the carpet up & then pull the staples that didn't stay in the carpet.
Your problem is the way these things are built, the floor is 1st, including carpet & tile/linoleum, then everything including the exterior walls are built on top of the floor.
Unfortunately water is the worst enemy of a rv, usually once you've found the leak source it's already done the damage.
I had an old 5er with water damage & ended up laying new 1/2" plywood over what was left of the old after removing as much damage as possible.
Hopefully someone has better suggestions for you!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 06:19 PM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

Yup, lots of staples at the edges! I think the factory gets a discount on quantity so they use more and more!

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
floor