Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-15-2021, 02:43 PM   #1
BamaRam

Awning fabric torn at roof

Hello again folks. Discovered my 14’ awning is ripped where it attaches to the roof. Is there a repair for this?

I’m pretty sure it failed because the rod inside the loop (for lack of better terms) doesn’t come all the way to the end of the awning.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	93AE4E7B-7C3C-4260-A635-BADF1C5CECB7.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	189.1 KB
ID:	34713  
BamaRam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 05:48 PM   #2
Hblick48

That will continue to tear. As far as I know, that can't be repaired. Try ShadePro for a replacement.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 05:55 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

It might be worth an email with pic to awning maker. Dometic warranties some things for 2 years. Worth a shot anyway because replacement is the only fix.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 07:05 PM   #4
BamaRam

Thanks. It’s a Lippert awning on 2018 model so I’m not getting my hopes up.
Old 07-15-2021, 07:25 PM   #5
Cbrez

When this happened to one of our slide toppers, I temporarily repaired it by cutting a wooden dowel to length and inserting it into the channel where the awning ripped out. The tear looked just like yours, about 5-6” long. Before inserting the dowel into the channel, I took about an 18” length of EternaBond tape and placed it around the backside of the dowel so that half of the tape extended above the awning fabric and half the tape extended below the awning fabric. I let the bottom edge of the tape hang free while I inserted the dowel into the channel, holding the top edge up so it didn’t contact the awning fabric. Then I pulled the torn awning flap as taught as I could get it and sandwiched it in between the pieces of tape attached to the dowel. I then used about a 24” length of EternaBond to wrap the edge of the awning and ran it parallel and adjacent to the awning channel to reinforce the layer of tape wrapped around he dowel. So the torn awning flap was sandwiched between two layers of tape running perpendicular to each other.

This held up very well over 5 months, including our return trip from Florida.

I hope I explained this clearly enough for you to understand. If not, PM me with your questions and I’ll try to clarify.

Steve & Diane
2015 Montana 3402RL
2017 F350 Super Duty Lariat 6.7 Powerstroke, Super Cab, Long Box, 4WD DRW
18K PullRite Super 5th ISR
Cbrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 07:50 PM   #6
BamaRam

The Lippert tech info for fabric replacement says “ Secure the fabric in the awning rail no more than 1” inside the edge of the fabric on both ends using a #6 x 1/2” hex head screw. Install the screw down through the awning rail into the fabric and the polycord.”

So it appears it’s a factory defect that caused it to fail. No screw and polycord too short.
Old 07-16-2021, 11:46 AM   #7
RickV

Is this repairable?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210716_21962.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	34724  

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
2021 Ford SD F350 6.7 PS 4x4 Crew Cab LB Dually
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 04:52 PM   #8
mikec557

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaRam View Post
The Lippert tech info for fabric replacement says “ Secure the fabric in the awning rail no more than 1” inside the edge of the fabric on both ends using a #6 x 1/2” hex head screw. Install the screw down through the awning rail into the fabric and the polycord.”

So it appears it’s a factory defect that caused it to fail. No screw and polycord too short.
Sorry this info is too late to help your present situation. But before it tore, this was fixable. We had the same situation on our awning on a Grand Design. About 4-5 inches of the awning had no polycord (and of course, no screw). When they installed the awning and slid it into place they let the cord slip out the other end by the "missing" amount. I found an RV repair shop who gave me a foot of the polycord. I was able to slide it into the track and fabric, cut it to the right length and install the missing screw. Technically, my fabric was then held in place with two pieces of polycord. But it worked.

Hope this helps anyone searching on this topic.
mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 04:58 PM   #9
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickV View Post
Is this repairable?
Sure is, just go to ShadePro and get a replacement fabric!
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 05:00 PM   #10
chuckster57
Site Team

You can buy awning repair tape in various colors. Does it work? For a while then it’s a waste of money.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 05:52 PM   #11
dutchmensport

Had the exact same thing happen to us in our Keystone Outback TT when we were at Custer, SD. The only solution I could come up was, to leave the awning completely retracted and never opened it until we got home (Indiana) 2 weeks later. Meanwhile I called my RV service department at home and set up an appointment. When we got home, I had to wait a couple days to get it into the shop. They had it about a week, it also had a bent arm. They replaced the bent part of the arm with an old one that came off another camper at not charge, and I paid the price for a new awning. A replacement awning is the only fix. They are under too much tension. The only fix is to cut the entire edge off that slides into that groove and hem a new rubber strip that slides into the groove of the trailer. For the time, effort, and cost it takes to do this (and you really do have to take to to someone who can do it right), it's actually cheaper to just buy a new awning. I know .... I check into it.
Old 07-16-2021, 06:12 PM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

The only way I know to repair a tear in the fabric in that location is to remove the fabric, fold a "matching material patch" over the top/bottom of the torn area and sew the patch in place. Sort of like sewing "knee patches on kid's jeans"... The patch will be visible, but it will hold as well as the thread that secures the patch in place (since it's the same material, it's as strong as the rest of the fabric)...

Now the "rub" in doing this kind of repair: If you're going to remove the awning fabric to repair it, why not just replace it and be done with the job. It'll likely cost as much to find a marine upholsterer to do the patchwork as it would to buy a new fabric. Since the removal/installation is going to occur with either option, I'd opt for a replacement awning fabric and find a use for the torn one... Maybe a picnic table cover or a new grill cover or ?????

In short, yes, you can repair it, but it'll probably cost close enough to the same price as a new fabric, so why not just get the new fabric.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 03:44 AM   #13
RickV

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Sure is, just go to ShadePro and get a replacement fabric!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
You can buy awning repair tape in various colors. Does it work? For a while then it’s a waste of money.
I think I will try the tape and hope it lasts. We are in South Dakota near the Black Hills and haven't put the awnings out much because the wind here is unpredictable. Hopefully it iwill last for a while when I start using it. I am on the road until the beginning of November and will replace it when I get home.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
2021 Ford SD F350 6.7 PS 4x4 Crew Cab LB Dually
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 03:57 AM   #14
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickV View Post
I think I will try the tape and hope it lasts. We are in South Dakota near the Black Hills and haven't put the awnings out much because the wind here is unpredictable. Hopefully it iwill last for a while when I start using it. I am on the road until the beginning of November and will replace it when I get home.
I would wind it up and forget it until you can replace it. If you try to tape that it will take a lot of tape and most likely end up in a balled up mess. Good luck.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, roof