Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-07-2017, 11:00 AM   #1
jmlocklin

Towing Question

I am new to towing and I am pulling my new trailer, 29BH, with a 2016 F-150 V-8. The truck seems to pull just fine. No problem with weight that I am aware of. I suppose it is normal to feel drafts caused by other vehicles on the interstate. My question, is my trailer really swaying or do I just feel the sway bar doing what it is suppose to do? Would a F-250 solve the problem or would I still feel it? I do not drive over 65 when pulling the trailer and am passed by everything on the road. Is this a real problem or just something I have to get use to?
jmlocklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 11:04 AM   #2
mfifield01

What type of WDH setup do you have? Having the right WDH and getting it setup on a CAT scale will help a lot.

With a half ton truck you will feel wind, drafts, and semis. What were the wind speeds? If the wind speed is 30+ it will start to wear on you.
Old 12-07-2017, 11:12 AM   #3
Canonman

A 30ft plus travel trailer provides a lot of "sail area" behind your truck. That is what's catching the bow wave from passing vehicles especially oncoming semi-trucks.
You don't mention if you have or purchased a weight distribution (WDH) hitch with anti sway. But if you didn't, GET ONE. Makes all the difference in the world when towing.
I'd recommend having it professionally installed and include some hands on training on how to set it up for your specific trailer and load.
If you have it now, check that you have it properly set up. There is nothing more nerve wracking than that "tail wagging the dog feeling" you're experiencing.
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 01:49 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

You really need to know the specs on your truck and trailer. Looks like the trailer gvw is 8800 lbs. and dry tongue is 810. Look inside the driver door and see what the placards say the gawr, payload, gcwrs are. They will tell you where you can go with weight. If you can, take the combo to a scale and it will tell you where you're at. You will be close, especially with payload I imagine.

A 1/2 ton is going to get pushed around with that big of a trailer. It will also sway in the right circumstances. Some say the Hensley type hitches will eliminate the sway but they are high dollar. Before I spent that kind of money on a hitch to stop sway in a 1/2 ton I'd buy a 3/4 ton. Make sure the hitch you have includes a good sway control.

As was said, you have a large sail behind that 1/2 ton truck that will tax the lighter suspension. Upgrading to LT tires will help if you haven't done so already.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 01:59 PM   #5
notanlines

I concur with what was said above. I especially agree that upgrading to a good set of LT tires will give some improvement. And I hope you just settle in with getting passed by everything on the road. About 62 with your rig should about cover your needs. YMMV
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 03:11 PM   #6
Frank G

This towing question comes up almost daily and it should. If this is your first towing experience or trying to solve an issue that just surfaced the forums can help out.

In my experience the longer and heavier the tow vehicle the better it will behave towing a trailer. The trick is to find the proper affordable balance between the two.

When it comes to the Weight Distribution Hitch with sway control do your homework and do it well. It can make or brake your towing experience. A high quality hitch out of adjustment can be worse than a junk worn out hitch.

Remember you will need some tools to keep you towing safely, a torque wrench to check the wheel nuts and the hitch bolts including the hitch ball. Trusting others is...we have all found subpar work on our stuff, just ask. One day I found a loose hitch ball that was installed by a dealer.

Lastly, know your weight numbers and how to apply them.

Good Luck and Happy Camping
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 01:46 PM   #7
jmlocklin

I have a Curt TruTrack Trunion weight distribution system. I love my trailer and I love my truck, but I'm not sure I like the combination. From what I see from users who post on this site, I may need to upgrade my truck. Do most of you agree? I know I ask the dumbest questions, but I have another. Is there an app that gives trailer friendly gas stations? From what I see, most gas stations where I normally refuel have no way to pull in with my trailer. What to you do to fill up the gas tank?
Old 12-08-2017, 02:08 PM   #8
Frank G

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmlocklin View Post
I have a Curt TruTrack Trunion weight distribution system. I love my trailer and I love my truck, but I'm not sure I like the combination. From what I see from users who post on this site, I may need to upgrade my truck. Do most of you agree? I know I ask the dumbest questions, but I have another. Is there an app that gives trailer friendly gas stations? From what I see, most gas stations where I normally refuel have no way to pull in with my trailer. What to you do to fill up the gas tank?
On the fueling issue, Gas is harder than Diesel. We always use truck stop truck lanes for diesel. Some Pilot Flying J stations have RV lanes where they have both fuel's available.

When we were pulling with a gasser we would look for highway stations and use the outside lane. For every one we stopped at we passed up two. If you have a good copilot you can switch views on google maps and get a satellite view of upcoming stations.

There is an app called Allstays that we use, also there is a printed publication at Camping World that gives detailed information on every interstate intersection. As an example if you are traveling west on I-10 it goes from intersection to intersection.

Time for dinner.
Old 12-08-2017, 02:19 PM   #9
Frank G

If you give the details on your truck you will get detailed meaningful responses.
Old 12-08-2017, 02:26 PM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

You are where many of us have been including myself. Had a truck I loved. Loved the trailer so we bought it knowing we were on the edge. Thought it would be OK but long trips just wore you out and I got tired of staring at the rear view mirror trying to watch for vehicles about to pass me and either suck me into their sides or push me off the road. Bought a HD truck - problem solved.

There is no such thing as a dumb question when you are trying to learn so fire away. The forum has many knowledgeable folks that are more than willing to help out on whatever you come up against.

I have no experience with the Curt hitch but maybe someone has. I looked at Etrailer and it looked like it is a mid level hitch. Pulling a 30'+ trailer and 8800 lbs. with a 1/2 ton will require a good sway control.

I believe there are several on the forum that use various RV apps for trip planning and fuel stops. I do not use one. Towing with a gas truck and a long trailer requires a little thought before you just pull into a "station". Look for clearance with the canopy. You have to be able to get in and out without backing so that means you have to use the end pump at many locations. Look at how you exit and make sure you can get to it - remember you have to swing wide and you will probably be in tight quarters. Be sure and watch for sharp drops in the entrance or exit. I could see the exit at a station this spring but not the grade. When I went to leave it had a sharp incline up. I had to use it because there was no other option. The rear of the trailer hung and I had to drag it for a couple of feet before it picked up. Pulled my spare tire almost horizontal to the ground requiring a little "repair" work at the next stop. It's a little nerve wracking at first but once you get used to what to look for it's not a big deal. Don't be afraid to just pass on anything that looks questionable - just be sure you have a way to negotiate a turn around.

There are some that will jump on anyone anytime they advocate that someone needs a bigger truck. Oh well. At 8800 lbs. you would be at the limit of a 1/2 ton truck IMO. Not because it can't "pull" it but because the load, and the dynamics it brings, is too great. I, and many others, have went through that. So, IMO I would be looking at the HD trucks if that is an option. If you don't, by the time you spend $1000 for LT tires, $600 to upgrade the hitch, $100-300 for airbags, $200-300 for brake controller (installed) etc. so your 1/2 ton can tow decently, you could buy the HD truck with the required equipment (and probably a Class V hitch) and not have to worry. Again, I was presented with the same problem. Trucks are plentiful, the trailer we also loved was not so it was a no brainer....new truck. Good luck as you pick your path.
Old 12-08-2017, 02:30 PM   #11
jmlocklin

My truck is a F-150 Lariat 4 wheel drive, off road, V-8. with a tow package. Ford dealer showed it rated at 11,600 lb towing capacity, but not sure about that.
Old 12-08-2017, 02:38 PM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

Look at the stickers inside the driver's door to get the numbers for the truck. Remember, there's a big difference between "pulling" and "carrying" weight.
Old 12-08-2017, 06:41 PM   #13
mfifield01

From my experience, diesel was harder to find than gas. Diesel is great while towing, but costs more(maintenance) and is harder to find.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Old 12-08-2017, 07:17 PM   #14
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfifield01 View Post
From my experience, diesel was harder to find than gas. Diesel is great while towing, but costs more(maintenance) and is harder to find.

On our cross country trip in ‘09, I had No problem finding diesel fuel, except for one day in Pennsylvania when I was in Amish country.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 07:43 PM   #15
PopBeavers

Try pulling into a station with a 35 foot FW!.

What appears to be a tool box in the bed of my F350 is actually a 35 gallon fuel tank plus a little bit of room for tools.

The main tank is 20 gallons (silly to be that small) so I have 55 gallons of diesel. That will take me 700+ miles not towing and 500+ miles towing. I don't like to drive more than 350 miles per day, so I just buy fuel once a day when I am not hooked-up.

Transfer flow makes aux. tanks and also larger replacement tanks. There are probably other suppliers out there.
PopBeavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 03:28 AM   #16
notanlines

Pop, your F350 is probably a 26 gallon tank; pretty standard for a short bed these days.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 03:50 AM   #17
hexmex357

If you follow my post I had the same dilema. I ended up buying a F-250 Diesel and have no regrets. No sway with wind or trucks. Also my F-150 v8 could not handle going up any kind hills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017Passport 2810BH
2017 F-250 6.7L Diesel 4X4
Pro-pride Hitch
hexmex357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 04:36 AM   #18
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfifield01 View Post

Yep... sure is... Diesel is only sold on every other corner... not every corner like gasoline..
Old 12-09-2017, 05:58 AM   #19
nied

For major road fuel information, use http://www.findfuelstops.com/. The data base includes an aerial of each station to plan for gasoline or diesel entry.
nied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 01:14 PM   #20
mfifield01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Yep... sure is... Diesel is only sold on every other corner... not every corner like gasoline..
Depends on location. We took a friend's rig to Colorado in 2014 (Diesel Ram). To my surprise we couldn't find diesel in towns in West Texas. We got pretty low before we found one. In planning the trip, that wasn't something I considered to be a concern.

Tags
tow, towing