Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 10-17-2019, 11:06 AM   #1
Braysgrandpa

AGM Batteries

Yes? No? Worth the cost? Could I use a basic charger to maintain it? Would it be compatible with my RV's inverter/charger??
Thanks!!!
Braysgrandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 11:26 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Everybody has an opinion, so here's one:

I'd prefer a good dual 6Volt golf cart battery system over any 12 volt system. As for AGM batteries, with the exception of battery water checks, I don't see any benefit to the added expense of 12 volt AGM batteries over even the "run of the mill big box store" golf cart batteries. I've had them in ATV's and snowmobiles for years. When it comes to "small batteries in seasonal equipment, I've found they work well. When put in a situation where they can be discharged deeply and frequently, they become "anchors" much faster than GC batteries which are, in most cases less than half the price and provide greater amp draws when used in an RV.

ADDED: To answer your question about using your current (pun intended) converter/charger. I'd suspect it's a WFCO 55 or 65 amp charger. If so, then this is WFCO's "official response:

Can I use any battery with WFCO chargers?

Deep-cycle batteries are recommended. They can be either of the Lead-Acid or AGM type. The Amp hour (Ah) rating should be shown on the battery; for example, 120Ah. There are many battery related Internet sites. Here are some examples:
http://www.batteryfaq.org
http://www.trojanbattery.com
auto.howstuffworks.com/question219.htm

Can I use AGM or Gel batteries?

AGM batteries are OK. We do not recommend the use of GEL batteries except when using the WF-6800 Series. See the Owner's Manual for more information.

That's directly from the FAQ's on the WFCO website: https://wfcoelectronics.com/faq/

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 11:39 AM   #3
Customer1

There is nothing special about charging them. Whatever equipment you have can handle the job. For those that are really anal about it there are some tweaks for AGMs but not absolutely necessary.

They are worth the $$ if the location is difficult to access, they need to be mounted on the sides, or need to be inside a living space.

For my motorcycle the battery is under the fuel tank so it is a good job for an AGM.

In my Aliner the batteries are inside so it is a good job for AGMs.

On my Cougar the four batteries are easily accessible on the tongue so flooded batteries work well.