Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 09-28-2019, 03:50 PM   #1
mwaroley

Rv covers

I have a 2016 Keystone Sprinter that sits in my driveway baking in the hot Florida sun. It had a lot of heavy oxidation on the left side which I spent 2 weeks trying to remove. I had some success but am thinking of buying a cover for it. Florida has a lot of humidity and I don't see a lot of rvs with covers here. am wondering if this is because the covers trap moisture and can cause mold inside. Does anyone have experience with covers in high humidity Florida?
mwaroley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 06:18 PM   #2
Chris P

I live in Central New Jersey, The sun is most likely the worst enemy of anything, A carport may be the best option, I have mine under one, aside from some dust its mostly out of the elements.
Chris P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 08:05 PM   #3
travelin texans

Take the couple hundred bucks it cost to replace a cover every other year & spend it on a good wax job 2:3 times a year.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 05:54 AM   #4
66joej

Ditto on waxing. Far cheaper than the cover which can trap moisture and could create mold. Also wind moving the cover may do damage to your RV. YMMV

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 06:58 AM   #5
Roscommon48

cover will probably cause more issues than it is worth.
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 07:24 AM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

Adding to the negatives already mentioned, covers make great ladders and nest friendly environments for rodents. JMHO
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 07:58 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Ideally, indoor storage is the answer to "maximum protection from the elements". If you can't afford to buy/build a pole barn or carport with sides, then look for indoor storage space that can be rented. Usually, at least around here, seasonal storage is available and costs are around $15-25 per foot for storage from October to April. That's 7 months for a 30' trailer for $450-750. A bit more expensive than a fabric cover, but much safer for the RV and there's no worry about where to dry it, store it or clean it when the season is done.

If you do elect to store it indoors, don't forget that mice still can find your RV, so remember to "mouse-proof" before storage.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 10:23 AM   #8
Smangerer

I bought a cover... wrestled it on... fought it off... Had to buy a new AC shroud because the cover retained enough heat to warp the shroud. Now Im trying to sell the cover. You want to buy mine?
Smangerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 09:30 PM   #9
B-O-B'03

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Ideally, indoor storage is the answer to "maximum protection from the elements". If you can't afford to buy/build a pole barn or carport with sides, then look for indoor storage space that can be rented. Usually, at least around here, seasonal storage is available and costs are around $15-25 per foot for storage from October to April. That's 7 months for a 30' trailer for $450-750. A bit more expensive than a fabric cover, but much safer for the RV and there's no worry about where to dry it, store it or clean it when the season is done.

If you do elect to store it indoors, don't forget that mice still can find your RV, so remember to "mouse-proof" before storage.
Does it cost less to store it the other 5 months, assuming since they have it there, they do not have anywhere else to keep it?

For me, even at the $450 figure, I would have paid for my cover in 13 months. Adding sides is possible, but would obviously add to the cost. It also has 30A service and water.

OP, If you have space to park your trailer in your driveway, is there room to add structure?

-Brian

Tags
cover