Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 04-05-2019, 01:31 PM   #1
Salty25

Question Bed Size

I am thinking about getting a larger truck. I figure I should get a new one now with the hopes of having something when we decide to get a larger TT.

I'm thinking of the RAM 3500 with the Cummins. I have been looking around for a six foot bed but they seem to only come in eight foot in this area. A local dealer said I could order one and it would be here in about two months.

Another dealer said the six foot bed is not good for a 5R; that I need the eight foot.

Is that true? I would have a problem with pulling a 5R with a six foot bed.

Thanks.

USN (retired)
Retired Law Enforcement
Salty25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 02:12 PM   #2
notanlines

Salty. RV'ers are pulling 5ver's all over this country with Ram 3500's with the 76.4 inch bed. Slider hitches and auto-slider hitches are probably the most popular of all sold (Don't quote THAT part). Way more 'short bed 250/350's and GMC 2500/3500's are sold in crew cab configuration than the long bed 96.5 inch bed. Your truck salesman is full of dog dookie...tell him/her I said so.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 02:15 PM   #3
Pull Toy

Six foot beds require a slider type 5er hitch. The choices are "automatic" or "manual". The difference is when backing up, the manual needs to be set by the driver prior to backing, whereas the automatic ($$$) version is mostly "transparent" to the operator.

The newer 5er manufacturers, across the brands, allowed for shorter beds by shaping the trailer nose to be more generous with corner dimensions, thus allowing tighter turns without hitting the rear corners of the truck cab, (ouch!) with the corner of the 5er. With the advent of "Crew" cabs 8 footers became less popular, unless you needed bed space for day to day. Trying to park a crew cab, eight footer is like driving a school bus, thus the "short bed" was born! Don't even get me started on parking a Doolie in town!

If you plan on a 6 foot bed, you will need a slider to turn a tight backing turn. Ford has compromised with a 6'9" "short bed" that seems to split the difference. Maybe the others will follow, Even though I have a manual slider, I haven't needed it yet over 3 seasons,, in tight backing. If you decide on a true 6 footer, you will need the "slide" package. Which one depends on your budget, and circumstances.

p.s. If a dealer says "Not Available", find a different dealer. Short Beds are getting more and more popular with the RV set!

Good Luck,

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 02:54 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

I don't pull a 5vr but have watched, and talked to, bunches of them. Was visiting with a guy from NY a couple of days ago in Hattiesburg, MS. He pulled in beside me with a new short bed 3500 Denali and new GD Solitude 5vr. He said he bought the slider but had never used it because of the way the front of the trailer was curved.

On the other hand, a guy pulled into the space next to me in FL and it looked hilarious. BOTH back corners of his truck cab were all dented/pushed in. When he finished unhooking I struck up a conversation and mentioned the cab. He just gave me a sheepish grin and said he could not remember about the trailer/cab clearance and did not have a slider.

As far as the short bed with a 5vr, I would say the majority of 5th wheel rigs we see where we stay are short beds so I wouldn't worry about that. You might consider the slider though …..
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 04:06 PM   #5
Salty25

I heard about a slider 5th wheel before but never knew what it was. I don't have a 5R right now but was thinking about possibly in the future. I figure I can afford to get one now so probably better to do it then wait until I need one.

I test drove the 3500 with the eight foot bed. It was about three inches too long for my driveway. So I'm going to have him do a search for what I want. If he can't find it I'll have to do an order for one. It'll just take about two months to come in, but that's fine by me. No rush.

Thanks for the info.

USN (retired)
Retired Law Enforcement
Salty25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 04:27 PM   #6
jsb5717

I currently have a 2012 RAM 3500 4x4 short box and pull just fine. Before that was a 2000 Ford F250 short box...also worked well. So many 5ers now are accommodating short boxes with nose and pin design. That said, I am currently using the Andersen Ultimate Hitch which provides a 9" set back while towing and down to a 5" set back when turning. It weighs only 35 lbs but is rated at 20,000 lbs. It is smooth, quiet, and eliminates jerking and chucking.
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 05:04 AM   #7
rhagfo

Do yourself a big favor and just get an 8' bed. Yes there are many towing 5er's with short beds, but there is always the chance of contact and well less than a 90 degree connection. With a 8' bed you will need to be PAST 90 degrees before contact, and not many will do that to the 5er suspension.
I addition it is easy to fit a nice size tool box in the bed of an 8' ahead of the hitch.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 05:41 AM   #8
kksfish

I have the 3500 Ram with the short box and a Laredo 5er and in four years I have NEVER needed to use my sliderhitch!
Old 04-06-2019, 07:13 AM   #9
Tonkatoy77

I have a 6.5’ bed in my Chevy with a B&W NON slider. I have the head mounted in the furthest forward position and I haven’t had any issues with cab clearance. I have to cut it pretty sharp backing into my driveway, and I still have 6” clearance from cab to nose cap. I wouldn’t want to go any further than that anyways, because it looks like my trailer tires are going to peel off the rim at this point already.
Tonkatoy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 07:28 AM   #10
jsb5717

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Do yourself a big favor and just get an 8' bed. Yes there are many towing 5er's with short beds, but there is always the chance of contact and well less than a 90 degree connection. With a 8' bed you will need to be PAST 90 degrees before contact, and not many will do that to the 5er suspension.
I addition it is easy to fit a nice size tool box in the bed of an 8' ahead of the hitch.
I don't disagree that an 8' bed is the best solution for towing. The extra room in the bed alone would be a big factor. For me it also comes down to how you are going to use your truck. Since towing isn't all I use it for I prefer a short box for maneuverability and parking (the shorter the wheelbase and overall length the better). And the truck is also my daily driver when not camping. Also, I just like the look of a short box quad cab better. I've got many years of towing 5er's with a short box without a problem but I'm also paying attention in sharp turns.

It's clear that either version with the proper weight ratings to handle your rig will work well. The decision, then, becomes a personal one once you think through how you want to set up and use your truck.
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 09:31 AM   #11
77cruiser
Gone Traveling

Maybe the put the pin farther ahead some but my Montana HC has plenty on room with my short box.
77cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 04:44 PM   #12
Brentw

Went from a 13 shortbox, to long box dually, ( brand change is of no consequence for this discussion)Went long box for the ride. Spent money on shocks, solastic shackles, morryde pin box, after 4 years wished I would of went long box first, oh ya and 1 cab dent.
Short box crew cab 3500 is still a pig to park.
2008 Goldwing
Brentw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed