Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 12-03-2018, 01:04 PM   #21
mcaliebe

So Keystone customer service was very helpful. Apparently, I have a Winegard 4G Connect antenna mounted to the roof. This antenna holds a sim card as well. There is some set-up documentation which should have been included with the trailer and was not. I've attached it for reference.

The system has an On/Off switch which I have a sneaky feeling that this switch is my phantom rocker switch located in the left overhead cabinet of the master bedroom. Its installed next to the TV antenna booster so that makes sense.

I believe this can be a pay-as-you-go option with Verizon when ATT or sprint isn't available. Hopefully, this can help someone else as well!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Winegard quick start.pdf (374.1 KB, 348 views)
mcaliebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 02:12 PM   #22
travelin texans

[QUOTE=JRTJH;31757 I suppose it boils down to which is more important, better tires or WIFI ??? Looks like now we know the answer....[/QUOTE]

Most rv owners don't give tires a second thought until they're stuck on the side of the road with a blow out, but EVERYBODY wants internet access, free is best & most complained about in rv parks reviews if it's weak. If new rvs are advertised with Wi-Fi connectivity then that's a huge sales gimmick, another bling bling that adds nothing significant to the rv.
Wow! I can hear it now, "Our new 1/2 ton towable 12000 lb model XYZ TT now has 4gLTE capability" says the rv salesman, then you find out you can't tow it or connect with it without paying!!!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 02:28 PM   #23
mcaliebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnyjuno View Post
Which switches I had to run around mine to figure out what they were I am pretty sure the set of 3 switches inside the control cabinet next to my iN·command controller are for the tank heaters haha but I have no idea
They are! My unit came with a paper label above them to indicate what they were for. I'll have to post that picture so you know which is which.
mcaliebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 03:24 PM   #24
ChuckS

Glad Keystone provided some guidance. Hope it works the way you invision

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 04:24 PM   #25
jamtracy

Look at the furrion website. I think the charges for data is high.
Best deal 5 gigs for $50 per month. No thanks
jamtracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 05:54 PM   #26
Logan X

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
I am not an expert but:
1. $50 for 5 gigs of data is a bit silly and wouldn't allow for any movies for sure
2. You need internet for a router and if you can use your smart phone for a hot spot and have an unlimited plan, not sure why a router is needed in a trailer as the hot spot signal will sure get anywhere in such a small space
3. The secret of technology is to transfer cash from your pocket to someone else's
Point #3 is hilarious
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 06:44 PM   #27
Jonnyjuno

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
I am not an expert but:
1. $50 for 5 gigs of data is a bit silly and wouldn't allow for any movies for sure
2. You need internet for a router and if you can use your smart phone for a hot spot and have an unlimited plan, not sure why a router is needed in a trailer as the hot spot signal will sure get anywhere in such a small space
3. The secret of technology is to transfer cash from your pocket to someone else's
Haha could not be more correct the part I need in order to use the 4g and WiFi booster is $550 from my dealer they happen to give 10% off of sales price if you purchase a coach from them
Jonnyjuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 09:31 AM   #28
BRB Rig

I would recommend not using Keystone’s provided solution. We just purchased the recently released Verizon Jetpack 8800L MiFi router for $199 (retail price if you don’t want a two-year contract). It’s compatible with their 5G service (only available in select areas until 2019 when it expands). As of November 2018, only Verizon is selling the 8800L.

For service, Verizon recently released a $70 per month unlimited pre-pay data plan with no throttling. We’ve been waiting for a no-throttle plan and Verizon finally obliged. If you set up recurring monthly payments, the plan is $65 per month. We’re getting between 30 and 50 mbps download and upload speeds.

The beauty of the Jetpack is that it’s 3G backwards compatible (for areas with slower data connections) and small enough to bring it with you anywhere away from the RV! You can connect up to 15 devices to it.
BRB Rig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 10:58 AM   #29
NevadaRich

BRB is right, I have an older Jetpack and pay $60 a month for unlimited, and have been every where, I wouldn't pay for keystone's BS
NevadaRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 05:45 PM   #30
kjohn

I'm not sure if I should stick my head up or not, but here goes. Is a this 4G LTE option available so people can watch tv or use the internet or both? My wife and I don't watch tv when we are trailering. When we want to get on the 'net, one of use uses our iPhone as a hotspot and away we go. If there is no cell service...simple...we don't get on the net.

I don't mean to invite any trouble, just curious. If a person did install the available router, etc., does that mean we would get tv reception anywhere??
Old 12-11-2018, 06:51 PM   #31
Jonnyjuno

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjohn View Post
I'm not sure if I should stick my head up or not, but here goes. Is a this 4G LTE option available so people can watch tv or use the internet or both? My wife and I don't watch tv when we are trailering. When we want to get on the 'net, one of use uses our iPhone as a hotspot and away we go. If there is no cell service...simple...we don't get on the net.

I don't mean to invite any trouble, just curious. If a person did install the available router, etc., does that mean we would get tv reception anywhere??
No you would not it is simply for data coverage a 4g LTE WiFi service
Jonnyjuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 08:03 PM   #32
kjohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnyjuno View Post
No you would not it is simply for data coverage a 4g LTE WiFi service

Thank you! Our cell phone plan gives us unlimited data, but apparently slows down after we hit certain magic number. Most of our internet use is basically text, as opposed to movies.
Old 12-12-2018, 02:46 AM   #33
wiredgeorge

The word "UNLIMITED" gets a bit ambiguous these days. Some phone companies use UNLIMITED talk, text and data but the data part is for the phone only. As soon as you turn the phone into a mobile hotspot, the UNLIMITED doesn't apply. How many folks stream movies on their phone? We had AT&T and used a mobile hotspot to provide internet to the computers for a couple years. We were on a 35 gig data plan and it was super expensive. Go over and they charged $10 per gig of data over. My missus pays the bills so her name was on the account and AT&T called her and offered UNLIMITED talk, text and data for a lot less than we were paying. New plan! So she signed up. The next day, when I turned the hot spot on, I found it no longer worked as that plan meant phone only data. When she called up to complain this wasn't explained, they said for her to go to some web page for plan fine print details and we couldn't get back on the 35 gig a month plan at the old price. We then dropped the hotspot internet and went with satellite internet (we live rural).

Anyone considering some phone plan, read the fine print before jumping as the word UNLIMITED doesn't mean exactly that anymore.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 03:58 AM   #34
xrated

Verizon prepaid unlimited for the Jetpack is truly unlimited in regard to no data caps after a certain number of gigs. They do tell you though that you may be "de-prioritized" during times of congested network traffic. I've been using mine at work everyday for the past couple of weeks and speed tests on my Samsung tablet have been pretty consistent in the upper 30s to low and mid 40s down speed. I'm thrilled to say the least. BTW... this is on one of the new Jetpack 8800L units.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 05:37 AM   #35
JRTJH
Site Team

Cell phone companies are just that: Cell Phone Companies. They sell communications devices that focus on what we consider cell phones and smart phones. You can see that for yourself by walking into any "cell phone provider's store". There are racks and racks of displays of cell phones and smart phones, tablets and now watches/wrist worn smart phones. Back in the corner, you'll find the Jet Pack/Hot Spot (or whatever that company calls their modem/WIFI devices). They aren't "up front where they hit you in the face" like the $1200 Apple's latest.......

From a "sell every bit of tower capacity" and "wring out every byte of tower capability" (maximize profits) they have come up with access plans (read that as product selling where the product is information flow).

Their main focus is on mobile communications, texting, voice and download streaming on the singular device. That's what they "support consistently" and they've found a way to "make money off the excess tower capacity" by selling it as "internet connectivity for computer devices" (read: Jet Pack/Hot Spot).

The priority is to support smart phones, so when tower capacity becomes saturated, they start turning off (slowing down) the lowest priority devices. That's the Jet Pack/Hot Spot devices. Throttle them back to keep "seamless support for mobile communications"....

Some locations have overlapping towers, larger capacity and seemingly unlimited capacity. Using a Jet Pack in one of those areas can offer "no slowdown of download".... Then there are those areas (like where we live) that have sparsely placed towers with older technology (read: less capacity) where the cell phone providers can barely keep up with the smart phone/cell phone usage. Connect a Jet Pack/Hot Spot to one of the towers in this area and you'll get "throttled back" around 4PM and stay at less than 600 megs download speed until about 1AM. Then the speed picks up significantly until about 8AM when it slows again until about 1PM when you get good download speeds until about 4PM and the cycle starts over again.

Go 15 miles east of our house and the download experience is entirely different, they have more towers, more overlapping and more capacity. That also, is in a much denser populated area.....

So, in places where there are lots of towers and lots of capacity, cell phone data is available without slowdown. Not so much in rural areas where most campgrounds are located. When you get "excellent service" at home and at work, you may not find that same "satisfying download experience" at a campground where you're running on a small generator to power your laptop and the kids want to watch a movie. Streaming in that type of situation will probably be much less satisfying than at home, in the suburbs of a larger city/population area.

So, essentially

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 04:41 PM   #36
mjlbj01

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcaliebe View Post
Does anyone know how to setup the new 4G LTE that Keystone is providing in their new trailers? I haven't even found it yet.
I am sure you have your answer by now but thought I would respond for new users. The router base in our Montana is located on the ceiling in our bedroom. You need to buy the Furrion Router separately. You slide the cover off the base and slide the router on. This is a secured router, as compared to using campground access. In our experience, we never would have bought this if we knew how expensive it would be to use. You do buy a separate plan. Since we don't stream videos or music we thought we would start with 1 GB of data for $19.95. Well we used that in 2 days. Our phones don't use that much data from Verizon now so not sure why it is using that much with this router. I can't get Furrion to give me an accounting of this usage so we can verify and I can't access Admin since they suspended service until we buy more data and I am not paying another $19.95 to just access Admin data. We don't use much data on our home network either. They are not helpful. What we are going to have to do is disconnect this all the time and only hook up when using our laptops and paying bills. Everything else we can use our phones for a hotspot since it has unlimited data. The other option we are looking at is a jetpack from Verizon or just getting a VPN to use. This was an expensive lesson to learn. We tried to research before buying but there was little data available to put the pieces together.
mjlbj01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 05:15 PM   #37
Snoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlbj01 View Post
I am sure you have your answer by now but thought I would respond for new users. The router base in our Montana is located on the ceiling in our bedroom. You need to buy the Furrion Router separately. You slide the cover off the base and slide the router on. This is a secured router, as compared to using campground access. In our experience, we never would have bought this if we knew how expensive it would be to use. You do buy a separate plan. Since we don't stream videos or music we thought we would start with 1 GB of data for $19.95. Well we used that in 2 days. Our phones don't use that much data from Verizon now so not sure why it is using that much with this router. I can't get Furrion to give me an accounting of this usage so we can verify and I can't access Admin since they suspended service until we buy more data and I am not paying another $19.95 to just access Admin data. We don't use much data on our home network either. They are not helpful. What we are going to have to do is disconnect this all the time and only hook up when using our laptops and paying bills. Everything else we can use our phones for a hotspot since it has unlimited data. The other option we are looking at is a jetpack from Verizon or just getting a VPN to use. This was an expensive lesson to learn. We tried to research before buying but there was little data available to put the pieces together.
The problem with metered LTE data is that updates to down stream devices will eat up data big time. Link up your laptop and not have your wifi configuration set to NOT try to do updates on wifi and the data hit can be large. Stream a movie and there goes a bunch more data, and set your smart phone to link to the wifi and get an update to the phone and it uses a bunch more.

We recently went with OTR Mobile for LTE which is on ATT network and unlimited is 60 bucks a month. I bought a Mofi 4500 LTE router vs OTR's Netgear one. So we will use this year round and will same money over Mediacom in the winter in Az and T-Mobile hotspot in the summer and traveling.

We streamed movies in the event on our way to AZ without issue in all stops except at Wahweap Park in Page, as we were over a hill from town. Phones are now on Consumer Cellar on ATT sim and we have 10G of data share between two phones with the AARP discount for $52.50 per month. Happy camper now. Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MoFi.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	210.4 KB
ID:	24078  
Old 10-29-2019, 12:14 PM   #38
Droid1962

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcaliebe View Post
I've called the dealer and they know nothing either. I'm really disappointed in how little the dealerships know about what the sell, and even more disappointed in how little documentation Keystone provides. I have switches that no one knows what they are for.
I have the same problem. I have 3 switches above the switches for my speakers and step lights in one of the kitchen cabinets, but for the life of me, I can't figure out what they are for. Nothing in the manual, dealerships don't know a damn thing.
Droid1962 is offline   Reply With Quote