Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-19-2019, 03:41 PM   #1
wonderwhere2wander

Broken Leaf Spring Shackle

I have 15K miles on my 2019 Keystone Cougar 315RLS. I had the right rear leafspring shackle break and then three weeks later the left rear leafspring shackle break. Clearly a manufacturing flaw on my trailer. I’m now trying to deal with Keystone to get them covered by warranty. Both times the brakes took place on a Saturday and I had to get a mobile welding service to come out and fix the brackets.

Very frustrating
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8CA861D9-1958-4A41-8883-ED3924028B82.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	242.3 KB
ID:	24097  
wonderwhere2wander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 04:25 PM   #2
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderwhere2wander View Post
I have 15K miles on my 2019 Keystone Cougar 315RLS. I had the right rear leafspring shackle break and then three weeks later the left rear leafspring shackle break. Clearly a manufacturing flaw on my trailer. I’m now trying to deal with Keystone to get them covered by warranty. Both times the brakes took place on a Saturday and I had to get a mobile welding service to come out and fix the brackets.

Very frustrating
It's not uncommon if you're making a lot of back-in parking exceeding 40 - 60 degree turns, especially on a paved surface. After I broke my first ones I had my brother-in-law make me some new ones and always carried spares.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 05:08 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

In addition to Cal's comment (which is likely what caused the issue), if the right rear hanger broke, then a couple weeks later the left rear hanger broke, I'd suspect that the first problem may have contributed to twisting the other end of the axle, setting it up to fail when conditions occurred that put excessive stress on the "already weakened hanger" on the other end of the axle.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote