Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 08-10-2018, 07:46 AM   #21
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bo View Post
I appreciate the concern, but take a deep breath. I'm here asking the question to make sure for that exact reason...not to justify my purchase. I was concerned that I was being fed a line just to make a sale. Again, thanks though

Sorry if I sounded a little harsh. Dealers that do that to people just irritate me no end and I kind of get testy; not pointing fingers at you. I know they do it every day but can't fathom how/why they would put someone in jeopardy and walk off with a good conscience....or any conscience for that matter leaving the new owner holding the bag. Hope you can find a suitable truck that takes care of your needs.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 07:57 AM   #22
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laredo Tugger View Post
Bob Bo,
I feel your pain. Dealer told me I had enough truck also. I knew I was close and yes the TV did tow and stop the 5er. The (previous) truck didn't "like" it,but it did it. Being so close to the max I knew I had to upgrade my TV.
The jury is in and has spoken. That is a lot of trailer you have,but you know that.
I think your present TV is new enough that the "sting" (trade up cost to DRW) wont be so bad. Especially since dealers are looking to move new 2018 stock prior to the 2019 inventory arriving, I may be a little behind on this,but I'm sure you will find a deal. Shop around and consider the factory air bag system as well as the tow package options.
One pressing question though. The "weight police" have been mentioned a few times on here. Would they also be known as the "Keystone Cops"?
RMc
Trailer:
2017 Keystone Laredo 350FB
13K with max load
Pin:2085

Previous TV:
2016 Ford F250 Lariat 6.2L Gas CC SB Roadmaster Suspension and Tow package

Present TV:
2018 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7L CTD HO CC SB Aisin Trans -Fifth Wheel Tow Package- Air Lift Bags (ordered for rear)
In my 63 years I've been called many things....most of them not suitable for this audience as per forum rules.....but, I'll take it.....Keystone Cops it is!

And the reasons that I'm so adamant about choosing the the right size truck is because I was in the same situation myself....as many of us or at least some of us here have been. I've gained a tremendous amount of knowledge here from the kind folks that have been patient enough to bear with me through my "working it out" and "figuring it out" stage of getting a truck that will work for my T.H. I've got gobs of excessive payload capacity right now and that was my decision to go a lot bigger than I needed to for my present T.H. But, I was also planning ahead in the event that I may go to a larger T.H. at some point in time and if I do, there is more than enough truck there to get even one of the biggest 5vers available. 5270 lb of payload capacity will do that for you! Good luck on your search for the new T.V. and hopefully you find exactly what you want for the best price out there.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 09:03 AM   #23
Northofu1

assume anything you buy in this life is buyer beware. From that soda with 50 grams of sugar to the 2500 truck your dealer tells you will be fine. It's sad but true.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 04:47 PM   #24
Bob Bo

Alright guys, thanks for all the advice. I'm headed back to the truck dealership in the morning to see how much it will hurt to jump to the 3500 SRW. Depending on the outcome, I'll post something here.
Thanks again
Bob Bo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 04:56 PM   #25
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Alright guys, thanks for all the advice. I'm headed back to the truck dealership in the morning to see how much it will hurt to jump to the 3500 SRW. Depending on the outcome, I'll post something here.
Thanks again
Bob Bo.....I'm wishing you the best. I know it is a pain in the tail but with the trailer you have you REALLY need to upgrade. At the same time, look at the options you have, want, or don't need and the upgrade might be less painful. I am in the process of doing the same thing.
Old 08-10-2018, 05:58 PM   #26
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks again
I would really take a serious look at the DRW. Having towed with both, I won’t go SRW again.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 06:24 PM   #27
Bob Bo

I hear you chuckster, but the DRW is listed at $13k over the SRW. Granted it's a MegaCab Limited. I'm already expecting to struggle just trying to trade in a recently purchased 2500. If they dont try to overwork me for that, and can swing one hell of a deal for the DRW...I'll try.
Old 08-10-2018, 06:33 PM   #28
chuckster57
Site Team

Well my hats off to you for even doing what your doing. We have all been where you are, and only want the best for you....think intervention.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 01:16 AM   #29
Frank G

If you read this before you go to the dealer this morning I would like to point some things out. If you are comparing a Ram 2500 to a 3500 CTD with the same options the only differences are the rear suspension, the 2500 has a 5 link coil and the 3500 has the leaf springs. Other than that they are the same, tires, rims, frame, drivetrain, and brakes. Don't overload a 3500 SRW. Find a DRW you can afford, they are out there. One last thing, you will not be happy with the gearing on the 3500 SRW with that load, they only come with 3.42 gears.

Find a 3500 DRW with the 68RFE transmission, the price increase should be around $1,000.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 01:45 AM   #30
xrated

I agree ^^^^^. Realistically, the Dually is the way to go for this trailer.....extra stability and extra payload is ALWAYS a good thing!

Old 08-11-2018, 04:01 AM   #31
mazboy

Forget what everyone is saying here. your 3/4 ton truck will work just fine. You don't need a dually or a one ton truck. I think I must have already responded to you earlier in another forum, but don't lose any sleep over what you have there.

You are getting to much input and it becomes tooooo confusing. Just keep what you have and keep on truckin'.

You will be pulling your trailer just fine. If anything, you might want to add airbags to keep the truck level and when you replace your tires go up one size.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 08:19 AM   #32
KSH

Quote:
I hear you chuckster, but the DRW is listed at $13k over the SRW. Granted it's a MegaCab Limited. I'm already expecting to struggle just trying to trade in a recently purchased 2500. If they dont try to overwork me for that, and can swing one hell of a deal for the DRW...I'll try.
Bob,

I have a 2500 mega cab. It's great for the kids. Not sure if that matters in your situation.
KSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 10:04 AM   #33
Bob Bo

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSH View Post
Bob,

I have a 2500 mega cab. It's great for the kids. Not sure if that matters in your situation.
No kids, just dogs
Old 08-11-2018, 11:59 AM   #34
Old Mustanger

Quote:
No kids, just dogs
our dogs are our kids now, although they are easier to deal with at times than the 3 that have left the nest.
2019 Ford F350 SRW
Old Mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 01:10 PM   #35
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazboy View Post
Forget what everyone is saying here. your 3/4 ton truck will work just fine. You don't need a dually or a one ton truck. I think I must have already responded to you earlier in another forum, but don't lose any sleep over what you have there.

You are getting to much input and it becomes tooooo confusing. Just keep what you have and keep on truckin'.

You will be pulling your trailer just fine. If anything, you might want to add airbags to keep the truck level and when you replace your tires go up one size.
I'd like to think that you are kidding....and if you are, you need to put a smilie at the end of your post. If you're NOT kidding, then you know absolutely nothing about towing capacities, weight capacities, and such! The O.P's trailer is definitely a candidate for a one ton truck, just a matter if he can find a stripped down SRW or whether he is after a somewhat loaded truck and into Dually territory! You just gave some horrible advice!

Old 08-11-2018, 02:48 PM   #36
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mustanger View Post
our dogs are our kids now, although they are easier to deal with at times than the 3 that have left the nest.

Our last child left 27 years ago. We now have "puppy" for our "kid". She is better behaved I believe than the kids but seems like the kids were SO much cheaper!
Old 08-11-2018, 03:31 PM   #37
Bolo4u

Bob Bo, I was in your exact shoes in early 2017, although not as big a trailer as you. Long story short, I had purchased a new Ram 2500 quad/diesel shortbed... then we upgraded to a 5th wheel, and I was concerned with weights and legalities. Not wanting to chance it, I bit the bullet and upgraded to a Ram 3500 Quad cab (not mega) Dually, diesel longbed and haven't looked back. Personally, if you can get a regular Quad (vs. a mega) do it, and you'll get a true longbed, vs. the shortbed installed on the mega cab. Also, if they have one in stock with the built in 5th wheel tow package and puck system, get it, if not, you can find eat OEM parts on Ebay and do the install yourself, its fairly easy (I've done it twice) and much cleaner in the bed than having rails bolted down. The only real drawback is I have to park a little further out in the parking lot when shopping, as most of the spaces closer are either compact or on the narrow side. Otherwise I love the truck. It tows or 2016 333 MKS (a couple thousand pounds lighter than you) flawlessly. Now, when (if) we upgrade down the road to a bigger/heavier trailer, i'll be all set. The post I'm linking below is from a while back, when I wrote about a co-worker who did what you are doing. The weights mentioned int he post may or may not be the same as you're TV/ and Montana, but it will give you an idea.

http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...1&postcount=16

If you haven't purchased your new truck yet, ask the dealership if they will put in writing (on a legal document) that your current TV will legally and safely tow the new Montana, given he specs of your current TV and the Montana you are buying.

As for the post by Mazboy, that is just plain irresponsible.
Bolo4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 03:50 PM   #38
Bob Bo

It cost me, but I upgraded to a 3500 SRW today. Thanks everyone for all the advice. This goes down as my first full time RV life lesson. I'll be passing along the same advice some of you passed d to me.

Cant wait to get this adventure started!
Old 08-11-2018, 03:55 PM   #39
Bolo4u

Quote:
It cost me, but I upgraded to a 3500 SRW today. Thanks everyone for all the advice. This goes down as my first full time RV life lesson. I'll be passing along the same advice some of you passed d to me.

Cant wait to get this adventure started!
Congrats! and welcome to the Keystone and 3500 club (even though it is a SRW )
Bolo4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 03:55 PM   #40
JRTJH
Site Team

Congratulations on your new truck and even though you "believe strongly" that you're within the payload limits, still verify the weights so you know for sure what you're towing and how it's positioned on your axles. The more information you have the better enabled you are to load and carry the cargo that will begin to accumulate in your truck bed, trailer cargo spaces and every cabinet the DW can fill.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
montana, tow, tow vehicle