Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-09-2018, 03:43 PM   #1
stevejax99

Black Tank filling up without being used

I have a 2017 Passport GT 2920BH. On previous trip (about a month ago), we dumped and flushed black tank, then left in a small amount of water. I have a clear elbow on sewer hose to ensure completion.
This weekend, pulled into a water and electric campsite and when going thru my site setup checklist, the black tank indicator flickered between 1/3 and 2/3 full. Odd, because tank was dumped on previous trip. We have had a lot of rain though.
With no bathroom use and AC running after a day, black tank indicator went to solid 2/3 full. I shut off water to camper and increased the front to back pitch and no more increase in black tank level.
Is it possible for rain and/or rooftop water to get into black tank? if so, how? If I need sealant, would it be Dicor Ultra-Sealant for a TPO roof? TIA....
stevejax99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 04:07 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

The only way water is going to get into the black tank is either the toilet, or the rinser, or the vent cap is missing.

If the cap is missing, you need to fix that ASAP as rain water will get into the roof underlayment and insulation.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 04:23 PM   #3
stevejax99

chuckster57,

Thanks for the quick reply. Without getting on the roof, I did see the vent cap in place. Tomorrow (its night now). I will get on the roof and inspect. I'm hoping its just a cracked seal around vent cap. And thank you again.
Old 09-09-2018, 05:04 PM   #4
travelin texans

Would NEVER rely on the indicators!!!
Some are lucky to have them that are extremely accurate, but in the several different rvs I've owned I haven't been fortunate enough to own one that the sensors were worth the 12 volts to light'em up.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 11:32 PM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

x2 on not trusting the sensors. Take a flashlight and look down toilet while flushing. There is no way any amount of rain is going to fill the black tank thru the stack vent. If you had a foot of rain then that would be equivalent to a foot of water in a 1 1/2" pipe, that would only equal a gallon or so of water.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 01:59 AM   #6
notanlines

I might be more inclined to look for more of an oddity, like a leaking seal/gasket in the commode than rain gathering in the tank. I suppose stranger things have happened, but I'm not ready to buy into rain water in the black tank. And of course, inquiring minds want to know....
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 02:40 AM   #7
RagingRobert
Gone Traveling

My guess is tissue stuck on the sensor...mine reads 2/3 full when empty. I have the tank flush but doesn't seem to clean the sensor. I'm thinking of getting one of those hand held wands that spin to clean the tank better. Another thought...with the AC on all day you notice water running off your roof right?
RagingRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 08:57 AM   #8
stevejax99

Before i inspected the roof/vent cap, I checked the black tank indicator and still showed empty from yesterday's dumping and flushing. This was after another hard rain. I do agree the amount of rain over the last few weeks would not have filled the tank to the recorded level(s). I should have sat for a moment and realized the volume of rain required to fill the tank to a 2/3 level would far exceed daily Florida summer rains over a three week period. Thank you for pointing that out.

While inspecting, no obvious cracks or damage. Just to be safe, I still applied Dicor around vents. So for now, I'm agreeing it was probably TP stuck on sensor(s). The volume from black tank dumped yesterday would not have recorded 2/3 full.

I did not realize a best practice was ensuring black tank filled before dumping. Either by nature or adding water. Previously, I would dump whatever was held from a closed tank. Trips have been 3-4 days, about 10 trips, and dumping after each trip. I like the idea of adding dawn or water softener. I currently add an orange tablet after each dump and flush. Don't remember brand. Suppose to deodorize and cause an enzyme action.

Thanks to all for the advice. It is much appreciated.
Old 09-23-2018, 07:16 AM   #9
larryflew

I do the long rinse every time and have used the wand. Still cant remember seeing less than half full on the gauge.
larryflew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 08:29 AM   #10
WNY Bullet

My bathroom sink also drains into the Black Tank! Could yours possible drain into black too?
2017 Chevy Silverado LT Z71

WNY Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 10:24 AM   #11
BadmanRick

No bullet Premier TT that I know of drains into the black tank. Only the toilet drains into the black tank. All sinks and showers drain into the gray tank. I think that is government regulated. If the bathroom sink drains into the black tank to would smell all the time. Especially when the water in the trap is empty.
BadmanRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 11:37 AM   #12
WNY Bullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadmanRick View Post
No bullet Premier TT that I know of drains into the black tank. Only the toilet drains into the black tank. All sinks and showers drain into the gray tank. I think that is government regulated. If the bathroom sink drains into the black tank to would smell all the time. Especially when the water in the trap is empty.
BadmanRick,

I wish that was the case! Mine dumps into the black stack located in the closet right behind the sink. If i run water in my sink (yes I tested it) the black tank levels rise.
2017 Chevy Silverado LT Z71

WNY Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 12:00 PM   #13
TJTx

My 2017.5 Alpine 3401RS bathroom sink drains to the black tank as well. I guess the designers figure your hands are fecally after using the toilet.
Old 09-23-2018, 04:35 PM   #14
MotownJG

I haven't paid attention to my 2009 Keystone Copper Canyon black tank indicators since I bought it. Empty it every time at the RV destination and it always shows full no matter how I flush it out.

But then, I've never had it back up into the bathroom neither (thank goodness!). YMMV.
Hoping to leave California in the next year.
MotownJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 06:21 PM   #15
travelin texans

[QUOTE=BadmanRick;308523]No bullet Premier TT that I know of drains into the black tank. Only the toilet drains into the black tank. All sinks and showers drain into the gray tank. I think that is government regulated. If the bathroom sink drains into the black tank to would smell all the time. Especially when the water in the trap is empty.[/TE]

You meant to say "non regulated" right.
There are several entry level rvs that have sinks drain into the black tanks.
The regulated part is regardless how many sinks drain with a toilet it has to be designated a "black" tank.
If you have smell at a sink it's not because it drains into the black tank but rather a problem with a P trap or the Hepvo trap. Most times the galley grey tank, while draining, can smell as bad or worse than the black.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 08:50 PM   #16
svt

If you just drain your tanks and its shows you 2/3 its your sensors. It will take long time for rain to fill your tank true 2" pipe probably 1 1/2 pipe. I never look at my sensors i know how much i can survive on my tanks. plus minus day. Plus black tank easy to check. I wouldn't even worry about that.
svt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 04:02 AM   #17
mazboy

forget your indicators! what a waste of money.

you need to learn when it is time to dump. in our 5th wheel...larger, we can go full time 2 weeks before we need to durmp. what is it for you?????
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 04:26 AM   #18
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadmanRick View Post
Rick, I don't know the regulations but logically it would be the other way. I think if any toilet drains into a tank it becomes a black water tank. Take any septic system, whether leach field or holding tank or combo of both, all water drains down a common pipe in a sticks and bricks building. Years ago, you could drain gray water directly on the ground. Many homes, especially those that had a poor leaching field (i.e. the material under ground didn't let water absorb quickly) would let their washing machine drain on the surface to prevent the septic system from filling too quickly. With the introduction of phosphates into cleaners the government stopped that. Then they later banned the use of phosphates. Anyone that lived thru that period of history will remember how ineffective detergents were until the industry reformulated .
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
black tank, tank