Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-08-2018, 04:32 PM   #1
LDowney

Fuzion 371- Underbelly Metal Support Failure. Question for other owners.

Fellow Fuzion 371 Owners- This week I filled my fresh water holding tank for the first time. I've owned this RV for just over 3 months. As the tank filled, I heard a loud metal crashing sound. Both metal support bars that were supposed to hold this 800+ lb tank in place fell to the ground. Both ends on both support beams were ONLY screwed into the underbelly plastic. The factory guys missed the metal support beams by over an inch. I'm just glad it didn't fall out going down the road. I snapped a photo of the metal bars when they initially fell to the ground. I moved them forward 1 inch and used the self tapping screws still in the beam to install them correctly. Something the jerk at Keystone failed to do. Trust me, you can feel the difference when self tapping into a metal beam versus freaking plastic. Poor craftsmanship is what this is.

If there is anyone else on here that owns a 2018 Keystone Fuzion 371, I would greatly appreciate if you'd snap a photo of the underbelly for me. My concern now is...should there be metal supports for the rear black water 44 gallon tank? I don't see any metal supports on mine. I'm wondering if I have already lost them going down the road. Could someone with a 2018 Fuzion 371 look and confirm those rear supports? I have the 3 pair of supports towards the middle of the RV. Fresh water, gray water and front black water tanks. These supports would be located in front of the two fuel tanks near the rear axle. I plan on calling Keystone tomorrow but would appreciate the knowledge before calling.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3369.jpg
Views:	523
Size:	402.2 KB
ID:	15938  
LDowney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 06:02 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

I agree with trying to get any info from members that may have that unit to see what's what.

When you call Keystone I would tell the rep (you will get someone completely unknowledgeable about RVs) that this is/was a catastrophe waiting to happen that could kill you and others. HER comments will be useless to you - and she will try to short stop you with a canned answer - don't do it. You need a manager or engineer to tell you EXACTLY what should be there. It may or may not be as substantial as you would like but at least you would know if you had all the "stuff" you're supposed to.

I will tell you that the folks putting them together may or may not get it right. There are countless threads on this forum and others about RV construction (not just Keystone). Unknown to me my coroplast was secured in a manner that sort of reflects what you are experiencing. My first trip in a heavy downpour I found it completely folded back at the front of the trailer with a waterfall coming out - simply due to some dimwit putting screws into nothing.

After all that, I will say that your first line of correction will be the dealer. Keystone will insist that the dealer assess what has happened. If the dealer hasn't filed a claim, and their assessment, I don't know that you will get far with Keystone. KEEP your pictures; as they say, they are worth MORE than a thousand words.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 06:12 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Yup!! Documentation and a cool head will prevail. Keystone will tell you to take it to a dealer. What gets me is that it should have been found at PDI.

Time and time again, it seems like dealers don’t bother or shortcut the PDI in an effort to get them “over the curb”. Keep us in the loop.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 10:51 AM   #4
Tinner12002

Just courious why you would call Keystone and not your dealer, they will be the one fixing it or at least sending in the warranty pics??
Tinner12002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 11:10 AM   #5
LDowney

I called both. Keystone and my dealer. My dealership is two hours away. I would rather just hear from Keystone concerning the rear black tank being secured in. Keystone is who my dealership will have to call to find this info out. I'm just saving them a call.
Old 04-10-2018, 12:32 PM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDowney View Post
I called both. Keystone and my dealer. My dealership is two hours away. I would rather just hear from Keystone concerning the rear black tank being secured in. Keystone is who my dealership will have to call to find this info out. I'm just saving them a call.
Whoever you spoke with at Keystone, won’t have any idea if YOUR specific trailer has had the black tank secured in. The only way to verify is to pull the coroplast and look.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 12:51 PM   #7
dcg9381

And they are just going to tell you "take it to the dealer" and likely not give you any other options...
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 01:19 PM   #8
gkainz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcg9381 View Post
And they are just going to tell you "take it to the dealer" and likely not give you any other options...
Which is exactly what Ford Motor Corporate would tell you if you had a similar problem with a new F350 ...
gkainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 03:59 AM   #9
LDowney

Update- contacted my dealership on Monday. Emailed pictures with complete description of incident. It's now Wednesday and I've heard nothing back from anyone at the dealership. That is why I contacted Keystone on Monday. At least I was given some feedback from a structural engineer that there is not rear support straps for the rear black tank. Only front tanks.

I will update when and if I hear from my dealership.
Old 04-19-2018, 12:54 AM   #10
rsv4pilot

Thanks for this post. I have a new 2018 371 and wondered what those supports were supporting. I'll get under there and give them a tug to make sure I didn't get the same yahoo installing them on my unit.....
rsv4pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 05:12 AM   #11
SJH

My experience has been to fix things whenever possible ...myself. It is much less stressful. I expect poor workmanship from the American worker. They simply don't care anymore.
It is sad but it is the way things are now. There are still people out there who care.....it just doesn't seem to be the "norm"
SJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 08:03 PM   #12
DLfuzion

Well, I have a Fuzion 427 I haven't even used yet, and I'll be climbing under it to inspect what is holding my tanks up before I use it. Thanks for heads up. I keep reading about how poorly these things are put together, makes me wonder if I made a mistake in purchasing a Keystone product.
DLfuzion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 07:08 AM   #13
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLfuzion View Post
Well, I have a Fuzion 427 I haven't even used yet, and I'll be climbing under it to inspect what is holding my tanks up before I use it. Thanks for heads up. I keep reading about how poorly these things are put together, makes me wonder if I made a mistake in purchasing a Keystone product.
For your peace of mind, Keystone makes a good product and the Fuzion line is excellent. My Impact has had zero issues in 3 seasons. While all campers by all manufactures may have issues, keep in m in and they all use the same suppliers for what is in them.

Most people who have a good experience don't write about it, so usually you dont hear that side of things. The key to a great experience is the quality of the dealer and the upkeep you do.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 08:40 AM   #14
Chattacuda

I have a 2009 Raptor. I bought used a year ago. I noticed the coroplast sagging under the fresh water tank and pulled off to find a similar problem waiting to happen. I added extra supports myself. Poor design for sure. I took some pictures. Will look for them when I get home. I may have posted here too. Feel free to PM me if you would like
Chattacuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 08:02 PM   #15
SJH

2018 Fuzion 371

2018 371 loose trim ....leaking toilet....gray tank valve leaks constantly, fresh water tank dump valve leaks..... I made the repairs myself.
I expected to have problems. Keystone didn't let us down. I just wish there was more online support in the way of diagrams and pictures.
Old 06-24-2018, 02:26 AM   #16
Tinner12002

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJH View Post
2018 371 loose trim ....leaking toilet....gray tank valve leaks constantly, fresh water tank dump valve leaks..... I made the repairs myself.
I expected to have problems. Keystone didn't let us down. I just wish there was more online support in the way of diagrams and pictures.
It may not be specific to your exact model but youtube videos can sometimes be very helpful, lots of great info on there.
Tinner12002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 09:03 AM   #17
tjkarch60

It's been a while and I hope you got things sorted out.
From what I've seen on my trailers, Komfort and Hideout, the gray and black water tanks are held in place from above. There is an angle iron that hangs down and runs side to side and the top of the tanks have a flange on the top edges that run side to side and are held by the angle iron.
My Hideout's fresh water tank is held by 3 metal bands running underneath. They are solidly in the metal support, I checked....
tjkarch60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 03:23 PM   #18
SJH

I figured out where the gray tank valve is located and found the problem.
When Keystone built our 371 someone zip tied the gray tank cable up and out of it's natural curve. This put the cable in a bind and the valve could not fully close. Unintentional problem was created. The hardest part was figuring out the problem. It's working fine now.
Old 08-09-2018, 04:28 AM   #19
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJH View Post
My experience has been to fix things whenever possible ...myself. It is much less stressful. I expect poor workmanship from the American worker. They simply don't care anymore.
It is sad but it is the way things are now. There are still people out there who care.....it just doesn't seem to be the "norm"
I would agree but cause is what needs to be changed and that is our fault, the consumer. We demand lower prices so cost reductions dictate higher production as material, insurance, taxes, environmental, utility and fuel costs continue to increase.
The American worker cannot be compared to their european counterparts. The American worker doesn't get free healthcare, 6 Or more weeks vacation, free college, etc. It always amazes me how some people will blast the folks that work at WalMart. They paid little over min wage, are part time so no insurance, no vacation, no security. Often they are working their second or even third jobs to make ends meet and we expect them to have a good attitude and care about their jobs. I'M sorry but I blame the American consumer and no I'm no communist. I'm about as conservative as it gets but it irritates me when the end result of an issue is blamed instead of the cause. If you want high quality are you willing to pay for it? Most people say they would but in reality are looking for something for nothing. YMHO
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 06:28 AM   #20
K_N_L

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
Most people who have a good experience don't write about it, so usually you dont hear that side of things. The key to a great experience is the quality of the dealer and the upkeep you do.
Very true- last trip out I had no problems or issues and had a great time!

I am guilty of complaining here as much as anyone, but I don't regret the purchase and would do it again - but if there's a next camper in my future the PDI will much different! If you look on other forums, all new RV's have quality control problems, irregardless of price.

I don't place all the blame on the workers, there's a bean counter somewhere in the head office that calculated its cheaper to pay the dealers to fix whatever issues the units leave the factory floor with, than spend more time QC'ing the units and then address whatever they find. Keystone support folks have been very helpful. I would hope that management gets accurate problem summary reports from support to address production issues and not whitewashed 'look how good we're doing' reporting.

Kevin -n- Lisa
17 Fuzion 325 / 15 Chevy 3500 HC DRW
06 HD Ultra Classic
K_N_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuzion