Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-13-2018, 01:59 PM   #21
wiredgeorge

Last time my missus and I were in Port A; about two years ago, we ate in a restaurant supposedly favored by the locals. We both got so sick we thought we wouldn't make it home. We were there in a motel and had gone down on my trike. I bought a big box of plug-the-boy up pills just to make it home. It is a pretty area although I don't fish. BTW: Medina Lake is up almost 10 percent from last week and rising. At almost 50 percent full now.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 02:41 PM   #22
charlesjemeyson

Don't know where you ate, but hope we don't eat there. ha.
I haven't been to Media Lake since my scuba training around 1970.

My wife and I love to fish. We've caught speckled trout, reds, flounder and sand trout. I like the speckled trout more than the reds. It is also easier to filet the trout than the reds. Most of our trout and reds are around 25 inches (plus) long. Over time, a lot of the locals taught me a lot of their "fisherman secrets." I was told by one fisherman, "If you tell this secret, I will have to kill you." LOL
charlesjemeyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 05:43 PM   #23
mazboy

they are a waste of money in my opinion. consumers report has stated this forever. remember you have warranties on everything, some parts for several years.

but, i assume you will get one anyway....DO NOT BUY FROM DEALER WHILE PURCHASING THE TRAILER.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 05:53 AM   #24
stanbarr

Bought a 5 year contract on 2013 Cougar 318 SAB 5th wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinton4616 View Post
Looking at buying a fifth wheel this weekend. When you purchased an RV, did you get the extended service contract from the dealership while signing the loan? Is it worth it?

I'm trying to get a quote from Coach Net, two business days.
Not worth the money - spend about $2300 for it and probably used it for around $1,000. Difficulty of getting service approved, the $100 deductible, and be forced to do what they wanted was def a pain. Most time it delayed fixing important parts.
stanbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 06:35 PM   #25
Johnnyfry

Remember this: Extended are a big profit point for the dealer, commissions can run as high as 50%. There is big pressure to put you into one of these but they seldom pay off for the customer. My advice; take the fee and put it in the bank as a rainy day fund and draw your repairs from that. You are pretty certain to come out on top.
Johnnyfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 07:44 PM   #26
roadglide

Coach net for trailers is worthless , I think somebody here is trolling the unknowing
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 02:27 AM   #27
Sinton4616

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadglide View Post
Coach net for trailers is worthless , I think somebody here is trolling the unknowing
OP here. No, not trolling. Was asking a serious question and looking to see how other campers feel about or deal with extended warranties.

I ended up not taking the dealership extended plan. Nor any other plan for that matter, after reading the comments here. DW and I are putting an extra $50 a month into savings to cover any expenses that come up.

Sinton4616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 03:59 AM   #28
roadglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinton4616 View Post
OP here. No, not trolling. Was asking a serious question and looking to see how other campers feel about or deal with extended warranties.

I ended up not taking the dealership extended plan. Nor any other plan for that matter, after reading the comments here. DW and I are putting an extra $50 a month into savings to cover any expenses that come up.
Its good your asking questions I wished I had ask about questions be for I purchased a 5 year plane on my 15 . I'm still sticking with my thoughts about t certain op experience with there warranty plane .
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 05:42 AM   #29
Tinner12002

Right or wrong we purchased one for our Raptor when we signed. Just now getting to the end of factory warranty so we'll see if it was worth it down the road if we need to use it.
Tinner12002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 10:46 AM   #30
SoGaDually

The extended service contract the the dealership sales can be a bit over price. We shopped around and bought one that cover everything. The Electrical & hydraulics is my main concern on ours.
"Still Tree Hugger Friendly"
https://i653.photobucket.com/albums/u...46290d167a.jpg
SoGaDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 03:21 PM   #31
bobbecky

The hassle and delays in getting a couple of repairs made with the plan we got with our rig made me a believer in not getting one of these plans. Of course, in hind sight, we spent way more on the plan than it was worth. !00% agree that a savings account for maintenance and repairs would have been a way better plan than giving some outfit several thousand dollars so they could be a PIA in getting a repair made, when I could have just gotten a repair made promptly by the best repair guy and would not have been delayed waiting on approvals. I'm almost willing to bet that 90% of these plans never get used for the value of the money spent on them.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 06:05 AM   #32
Eric MP

This first timer does not make a habit of buying extended warranties on just about everything. Roughly a year and 1/2 ago, I purchased Randall Eaton's (been doing th9is for 10-11 years at the time) TT & 5th Wheel Comparison Comprehesive Guide, 2006-2017. Extended warranties in the opinion of the author, if considered, should not be purchased through the dealers. Yep, we will spend a lot of money to help protect a major investment. I went with what the book recommended....Extendedwarranties.com. Author's plug......if a purchase is made, mention reviews.net, an Eaton associated website. By doing so, we got $50 off the total price. 7 years, transferable, our cost $2608; 500 down; bal 0% (last Fall) over 18 months. If it is not in the "exclusions" throughout the policy, then it is covered. One must provide documentation to prove that the manufacturers maintenance sched has been followed. Bottom line.......I feel more secure having it, than I can afford to feel, not having it.... like I said, 1st RV and did not know what I was getting into....but wanted to be there! Eric
Eric MP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 04:26 PM   #33
bobbecky

Putting money into a service contract, because they really don’t extend the warranty, is just like placing a bet in Vegas. Sometimes you win, sometimes you don’t, but in the long run, guess who’s making money? If you keep the money in your pocket, you have a much better chance of ending up with cash in your pocket, and like was said, you won’t have to fight one of these plans to get them to pay, and you will for sure be back on the road a lot sooner.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 07:38 AM   #34
Reflex439

When I purchased my recent Cougar 28SGS the business manager was shocked when I told him I didn't want the warranty. I thought his eyes were going to come out of their sockets. He said we was so afraid of me leaving without coverage that they knocked off $750. Turned that down too, so he made me sign a 'waiver' stating that I refused the warranty trying to make it sound all important and dangerous. He questioned me as to why I would be willing to leave so exposed.

I told him his salesman sold me on the quality of the unit and asked if he was wrong and I should be worried. That the items covered aren't expensive to repair/replace for anyone reasonably handy (I've done roof ACs, water heaters, furnaces, converters, slide motors, TV, radio, electrical, control panel, slide seals, steps, etc). I can fix it faster than it would take the dealer to schedule and turn it around. And I'm not really handy or RV savvy, just know how to research and watch YouTube videos of others that have done the work. The other items are unlikely to fail (frame, structure, hitch, etc). The items that really need coverage are common failure points and are explicitly excluded such as roofs, delamination, resulting water damage, interior trim work, etc.

So I asked him where is the value for the money I would be spending. He didn't have an answer, and we just moved on.
Reflex439 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 09:42 AM   #35
Frederick

My first fifth W did not bu extended Ins the 4th one I did so far New fridge. ceiling fan, Hyd. hoses, micro wave conc oven I have fixed numerous trim problems that ins would have fixed I got moneys worth
Frederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 01:27 PM   #36
UsTwo

my first camper I got a extended warranty.. no more, But will get extra insurance after the dealer warranty runs out.. lessons learned.. oh my

Craig
Kathie
2013 Keystone Cougar
X-Lite 31 RKS
UsTwo is offline   Reply With Quote