Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 05-21-2018, 08:43 AM   #1
RV Driver Ed

Unit Propane Use For Aftermarket Outside Kitchen

Hello, Currently I have a travel trailer with and Outside Kitchen/Grill. I have a 5th Wheel on order with no Outside Kitchen but I am looking to be able to hook up Propane Gas grill to 5th Wheel propane system so I do not have to have extra propane bottles or using the small disposable type. Does anyone else have this kind of hook up?

2013 F150 Crew Cab, to go shopping and site seeing for now, how do you start one of those go fund me pages? #Ed's New Truck, Ha, Ha.
RV Driver Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 09:02 AM   #2
buvens

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Driver Ed View Post
Hello, Currently I have a travel trailer with and Outside Kitchen/Grill. I have a 5th Wheel on order with no Outside Kitchen but I am looking to be able to hook up Propane Gas grill to 5th Wheel propane system so I do not have to have extra propane bottles or using the small disposable type. Does anyone else have this kind of hook up?
Our 2016 Bullet came with it built in with a valve and quick disconnect.

Suggest waiting till you see your 5th wheel, it may already have it.
Old 05-21-2018, 10:58 AM   #3
Canonman

The auxiliary propane hook up is quite common on most new units. I'd suggest verifying if it is included with one of the "packages" that were part of your 5er purchase. We actually paid extra for the dealer to install one on our Cougar then found it already there when the unit arrived at the dealer. Note, you will want an extra length of propane hose so you can get the grill away from the trailer. Cannot recommend having 500 degrees next to that brand new gelcoat
BTW we are set up to use either the house propane or the 1# bottles. We seem to find ourselves using the portable method more than attaching to the Cougar.
We also refill our 1# bottles so cost is about .25 per bottle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5974 - Version 2.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	1.42 MB
ID:	16544  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 11:00 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

I suspect your new Alpine will have the external quick connect for a grill - it may be standard. There are several Alpine owners on here and maybe they will share their experience. You could also contact your selling dealer; they should be able to tell you if it's a standard item.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 11:32 AM   #5
travelin texans

If your new rv comes with a quick disconnect be sure your dealer supplies the correct other 1/2, they come matched & not all will fit together.
You'll also need to verify whether its connected before or after the rv regulator. If before (high pressure) it will require a grill with it's own regulator, if after (low pressure) the grill regulator will need to removed or be a "low pressure" grill.
I added a "T" with a valve to my rv bottle (high pressure) with about a 20' hose, use a Weber Q grill & can put it about anywhere, works great.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 12:41 PM   #6
RV Driver Ed

Response from Keystone

Hi Ed,

Unfortunately, no. There is no propane connection for the outside of the unit.

Thank you and have a good day,

Bettina Rogers
Keystone RV Company
Keystone Shoppers Konnection

So I guess I will have to install my own if I want one based upon response.

2013 F150 Crew Cab, to go shopping and site seeing for now, how do you start one of those go fund me pages? #Ed's New Truck, Ha, Ha.
RV Driver Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 12:46 PM   #7
66joej

Hard to believe an Alpine does not have an outside quick connect for BBQ. Our lowly 2013 Cougar 24' TT came with that and a BBQ with stand. I guess they found where they can save a buck.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 01:00 PM   #8
Canonman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Driver Ed View Post
Hi Ed,

Unfortunately, no. There is no propane connection for the outside of the unit.

Thank you and have a good day,

Bettina Rogers
Keystone RV Company

So I guess I will have to install my own if I want one based upon response.
The aux propane line and fittings can be dealer installed for "minimal" cost. Remember RV doesn't stand for "Real Value"
Still find it hard to believe Keystone has eliminated the outside propane connection though
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6066.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	16545  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 05:42 PM   #9
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
The aux propane line and fittings can be dealer installed for "minimal" cost. Remember RV doesn't stand for "Real Value"
Still find it hard to believe Keystone has eliminated the outside propane connection though
Yes, I agree ^^^^. Although I bet it would be cheaper for a plumber to it. Just have to get access to the main supply line that feeds the furnace or stove.

And it seems that the value added things (once standard on most RV's) have been slowly worked out of the RV materials build list. Nowadays, seems like manufacturers add "lots of fluff" and not enough "stuff".
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 02:33 AM   #10
notanlines

Ed, dump the frowny-face and just put it on the little list of things to do to the new RV that will make it "your own." If you're handy at all with tools this is not a major project. And it gives you something to do this summer. After all, you can't sit around all summer, stretched out under the awning, sipping cold beer and listening to the ballgame.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 02:56 AM   #11
chuckster57
Site Team

Not so funny story:
So this customer orders a new unit from the factory so she can get the colors she wants. Factory decides mid production to stop putting quick connect fittings on. Her unit comes in, she asks why no quick connect. We contact factory and find out her unit was the FIRST one on the line without. Missed it by that much...

I don’t know what the outcome was.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 06:24 AM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

Thirty years ago NO travel trailers had a propane hookup for a grill, only a handful of luxury trailers had gray tanks, most black tanks were 20 gallons or less, battery chargers were automotive type, dragged out every morning and connected to the "old truck battery" that was installed on the trailer when a new battery was bought for the truck. Air conditioning was optional and only purchased by those in the south or in the west, northern trailers just didn't have that extra $200 option. Most mattresses were a 4" slab of foam on the "main bed" and the rest were either 2" "Bunkie mattress pads" or at best, 3" foam pads with vinyl covers on one side and fabric on the other. That way the adults wouldn't sweat when sleeping or sitting on them and the pads wouldn't be soaked with pee (or Kool-Aid) when the kids had an accident. Televisions, radios, awnings, recliners, carpet, enclosed plumbing and winter protection were all "unheard of" in most trailer lines.

Trailers evolved into the "option filled units" we have today over many years. I wonder if, in the attempt to get back to 2500 pound trailers, they are starting to evolve back to "basic trailers" ???

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 07:32 AM   #13
66joej

Yes John I do remember the TTs of old. We bought a brand new 1972 Triple E 22' TT. We were the envy of the park (dry camping) at Dog Lake in Thunder Bay ON.
It had a 3 way fridge and inside propane stove with an oven. Plus a bathroom. Talk about "uptown" WOW!

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 08:14 AM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66joej View Post
Yes John I do remember the TTs of old. We bought a brand new 1972 Triple E 22' TT. We were the envy of the park (dry camping) at Dog Lake in Thunder Bay ON.
It had a 3 way fridge and inside propane stove with an oven. Plus a bathroom. Talk about "uptown" WOW!
Remember the old Dometic 3.5 cuft refrigerator with the "2" door on the outside where you had to use needle nose pliers to hold the kitchen match and insert it about 8" inside that little door to light the pilot? All that, in the wind, on a rainy night, while setting up the trailer? How about that "push and hold" bypass for the water heater pilot? You know, the one that always blew out with any wind over a "slight breeze" ??? Seems like it would blow out if the kids ran past the water heater too fast LOL

I remember our old Prowler (orange and white) that had an Instamatic 6 cuft refrigerator. We could light the pilot with a "twist knob sparker" from the inside. We thought that was such an improvement, until the flint was used up and we found that we had to remove the refrigerator from the wall to access the flint. Thank heavens for my trusty Zippo lighter. I always kept a few spare flints under the cotton wadding that held the lighter fluid. Otherwise, the refrigerator would have been "just another storage cabinet".....

Today's RV's are "luxury palaces" compared to even the most expensive trailers "back in the day"......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 06-01-2018, 06:41 AM   #15
Old Mustanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66joej View Post
Hard to believe an Alpine does not have an outside quick connect for BBQ. Our lowly 2013 Cougar 24' TT came with that and a BBQ with stand. I guess they found where they can save a buck.
Our previously owned 2015 Cougar came with the quick connect. I didn't even think to look for it when we purchased the Alpine and was disappointed to find that there isn't one. I now own a low pressure grill that I have no use for.
2019 Ford F350 SRW
Old Mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 08:19 AM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mustanger View Post
Our previously owned 2015 Cougar came with the quick connect. I didn't even think to look for it when we purchased the Alpine and was disappointed to find that there isn't one. I now own a low pressure grill that I have no use for.
It is very easy to add a "T" to one of the fittings under your trailer and put a QD fitting on the other end of that "T". Cost would probably be less than $15 if you DIY and $50 or so if you have a plumber do it for you.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 06-01-2018, 08:30 AM   #17
Ken / Claudia

John beat me to an answer. But, going further I would guess any propane or RV place would put one in for around 150. Including the connections and hose any length you want in a hour or two.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane