Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 12-10-2017, 08:16 PM   #21
JRTJH
Site Team

Yes, I'm sure it is frustrating. For those who may not be familiar with the issue, Alanfray's RV is a 2018 295QBS Coleman Lantern. A bit of "history" regarding the Dutchman (they make the Coleman line), THOR placed Dutchman (whose manufacturing facility is directly adjacent to Keystone's Goshen plant) under Keystone's management around 2014. At that time, Dutchman was having some significant management problems. A part of the "realignment" included an agreement with Camping World to introduce a new RV line, the Coleman Lantern travel trailer... Prior to that, Coleman was produced by Livin' Lite RV company. That all occurred, I think, around 2015.

Anyway, it shouldn't matter who makes the OP's trailer, if it's defective, the manufacturer (Dutchman) should stand behind it and repair the problem. Keystone's only "skin in the game" is that the Customer Service for both companies (Dutchman and Keystone) are both managed by the Keystone CS department.

I bring all of this up, not to explain the relationship between the two companies, but rather to give the OP some background on what's probably happening with his warranty repair. It's being managed by Keystone but is probably being denied by Dutchman. The "disconnect" is probably between Camping World's report and what Keystone is relaying "across the fence" to Dutchman who probably doesn't have accurate data on which to make a decision.

If there is a way to get the dealership to accurately and completely document the problem and to show Keystone the video that depicts screws coming through the TPO roof membrane in multiple locations, I'd suspect there would be a much more satisfactory decision. I'm guessing that Keystone is "visualizing" one or two small spots and refusing to replace the membrane. If they were aware of multiple locations that are damaged, historically they have approved at least a partial "reskinning" of the roof. I've never heard of them repairing a roof by patching holes and putting vent stacks over the repair.

Somewhere there is a "disconnect" between the dealer, Keystone and Dutchman.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 04:48 AM   #22
Tinner12002

Something else the OP might look into is that Trailer Life Mag has a RV Resolutions section where they will also contact Keystone or whomever and present the issues to them and ask why they're not fixing the problem. The good side to that is that they publish this in their mag so others can see whether they fix it or not. Basically its made public which most manufacturers don't want.
Tinner12002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 07:31 AM   #23
Alanfray

Camping World service dept manager sent the video to Keystone's service advisor and they have still denied the warranty claim. The email from the service advisor states "KRV wouldn't replace the roof membrane for this issue. This jobline was reviewed and approved by the Team Lead". I really don't know how they can deny replacing the entire membrane, or the roof for that matter. I sent the the GM of CW an email this morning and supposedly he and his service manager and warranty manager are meeting this afternoon to try to figure out a way to help me "battle" Keystone...
Alanfray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 06:38 AM   #24
Sherwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinner12002 View Post
Something else the OP might look into is that Trailer Life Mag has a RV Resolutions section where they will also contact Keystone or whomever and present the issues to them and ask why they're not fixing the problem. The good side to that is that they publish this in their mag so others can see whether they fix it or not. Basically its made public which most manufacturers don't want.
I was going to say the same thing. I don't know what their success rate is but I'll bet its pretty high. I cant imagine any company wanting that type of publicity. I've seen them help consumers get repairs, replacements and refunds on things you wouldn't normally think they would get. In this case, I think its a slam dunk. And it is one more thing to put on our PDI if it isnt already there.
Either way, keep applying pressure. I'm sure they're hoping we give up and accept it without a fight.

Eric & Kim Sherwood
2011 Cougar 31SQB Travel Trailer, EZ-Flex
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab 6.0L
Reese Straight Line Trunnion Bar w/Dual Cam Anti-Sway
Sherwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 07:08 AM   #25
Alanfray

The service manager from camping world in Columbia SC contacted me and said he felt he could help. He said he didn't know what was going on with the service folks at CW in Charleston SC, He went and picked it up last Thursday and said he will try to get to looking into the problems and work with Keystone. He said he has had great success getting working with them in the past. Fingers are crossed that he is successful. If not, I have my attorney on speed dial because I too feel it's a slam dunk case and the video clearly shows manufacturer defects.
Old 01-08-2018, 06:19 PM   #26
Alanfray

UPDATE! Camping World Service Manager from Columbia SC contacted me and asked about going and picking my camper up from Camping World in Charleston. He said he thought he could help me. He went and picked it up got permission or should I say hours from Keystone to peel the roof and look at the problem. He is sent in pictures and Keystone still denied replacement of the roof under the warranty. After a week of back-and-forth between him and Keystone he contacted me and told me that he and his general manager decided they were going to go ahead and replace my roof and make my camper right. He said there’s no need for me to be going without my unit because of Keystone. He said he would fight the battle with Keystone after the work is complete. My faith in Camping World in Columbia South Carolina has been restored.
Old 01-08-2018, 07:03 PM   #27
JRTJH
Site Team

That's great news !!! As the work progresses, keep us updated on how things go. It's great to know that CW is standing behind your trailer and doing the right thing for their customer.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 01-09-2018, 05:08 AM   #28
Tinner12002

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
That's great news !!! As the work progresses, keep us updated on how things go. It's great to know that CW is standing behind your trailer and doing the right thing for their customer.
X2. After hearing all the bad things we all here about CW its good to hear they are stepping up to the plate!
Tinner12002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 08:38 AM   #29
sbarlag

When purchasing a camper, don't just ask what is the roof membrane made of. Ask what is under the membrane. Is the roof OSB or plywood? Are the trusses wood or aluminum? How is the wood attached to the truss-staples, screws or a combination of both? Jayco staples the perimeter and then screws the center seams into the Magnum Truss roof

Scott M. Barlag
sbarlag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 09:26 AM   #30
cardinal96ss

OSB as roofing material is beyond belief. Guess cost's the reason.
cardinal96ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 09:52 AM   #31
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal96ss View Post
OSB as roofing material is beyond belief. Guess cost's the reason.
OSB is definitely cheaper than plywood, and over the past 10+ years OSB has replaced plywood in many applications. It's the "mainstream roof decking" in almost every home building market across the nation. Arguments about whether it's better, as good as or worse than don't seem to carry much weight when you look at almost every building site and see pallets of OSB waiting to be installed and when you look at almost every roof and see that there's no plywood anywhere in sight.

In addition to most RV roof decks being made of OSB, the majority of the floors in "conventional RV construction" are made of Dyna-span. That name, Dyna-span, is "industry speak" for "OSB decking"...... If you're "lucky enough" to have bought a lightweight trailer, it's probably "luan/foam sandwich" which is rapidly being replaced with OSB/foam sandwich.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 01-11-2018, 12:04 PM   #32
Alanfray

GREAT UPDATE!! The service manager at Camping World in Columbia just called and he convinced Keystone to cover a brand new roof under manufacturer warranty. He said I should have my unit back sometime next week as long as they don’t run into any problems. Persistence definitely paid off with my situation
Old 01-11-2018, 12:32 PM   #33
JRTJH
Site Team

Great news, thanks for the update. Now let's hope things go well with the install and you're camping and enjoying your trailer with no further problems !!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 01-11-2018, 12:43 PM   #34
Alanfray

My faith in good customer service has been restored, at least with CW in Columbia, SC. Happy camping y’all?!
Old 01-11-2018, 02:23 PM   #35
TheGriz

I am very happy for you!!! I felt your pain big time with a deteriorating floor in my brand new Bullet Premier 19FBPR. My dealer eventually also stood by his product, made the situation whole, and I got a brand new unit. There is a thread regarding that nightmare in the forum.

Yes...persistence pays off. Dealer and Keystone just hope you will roll over and go away. You were however so in the right to demand a new roof!!!

Regards,
Mike

2018 Laredo 288RL Travel Trailer
2017 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab LTZ, Z-71, 6.6L Diesel
2017 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (traded)
2011 Silverado Crew Cab, 4wd Z-71, 5.3L (traded)
K9 Handler of my SAR partner and best friend Jeter!
TheGriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 03:24 PM   #36
sourdough
Site Team

Great news. Good to hear they are going to take care of it for you. Your story illustrates what has been said on here repeatedly - the DEALER is the biggest link in getting resolutions to warranty problems. In this case, if I recall, the dealer in Columbia told you he would take it in because he felt comfortable dealing with Keystone, then told you he was going to fix it and deal with Keystone. Those actions come from a dealership/service manager/GM that has been around the horn with Keystone and understands what they require. Those that don't know, or do, that always seem to hit snags and can't get anything "authorized". Good on you; and yes, persistence does pay off but the dealer makes all the difference in the world.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof