Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-17-2017, 08:47 PM   #21
Ken / Claudia

Reply to post #14 I do not have information on other states laws. Mine is hard enough to remember. FYI when you talk about 26,001 than the fed DOT rules apply and as far a I know all states follow them, likely they need to for federal funds. Regarding post #15, I as a state trooper carried scales in a patrol car. I hated it, I Should not have volunteered as many say. I went on to go after real bad guys that really went to prison.
In Oregon ANY police officer within 5 miles of a scale station can tell you to go to it and get a weight check if, they believe you might be over weight in any possible way. Other states likely have different laws.
John really made some great points that are 100% correct.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 04:30 AM   #22
bsmith0404

When I was transporting as a commercial vehicle, I was required to stop at scales. In some states the scales had signs that said no RVs. In other states officers told me they didn't have time to weigh personal RVs, and in other states I saw police actually pull personal RVs, that were obviously overweight, into the scales. When you pull into the scales, in most cases, it's a quick check of the weight rating on the truck plates vs the actual weight. I don't believe states will allow you to plate a vehicle heavier than it is rated GCWR (I could be wrong). Laws are different in different states. My truck is plated for 26,000, 26,001 would require a CDL license. When I was commercial, the company I was leased to would not allow me to tow anything that would put my GCWR over 26,000 (rating, not actual weights) because it would be illegal without a CDL. In NM I have a class E license which allows me to tow MY personal RV with a GCWR exceeding 26,000 without a CDL, but only MY personal RV. I had to apply for and sign paperwork stating that I was only towing my personal RV. My actual combined weights come in right at 25k, so I was okay anyway, but if the DW decided to add more shoes, I'm still okay.

IMO, if you stay legal, you don't have to worry about the lawyers. They may still try to get some money for their clients, but your insurance company will fight that and determine where the cost of fighting it exceeds the cost of paying. In most cases the lawyers will take the money and run and it'll stop with the insurance.

As more and more RVs hit the roads, it is inevitable that more will be involved in accidents. If lawyers see an opportunity for quick money, more and more will jump on the civil suit bandwagon. Keep this in mind, insurance companies are big business and have a lot of power. If they start paying out a lot of money in claims/lawsuits they may start lobbying with the DOT to start weighing personal RVs at the scales so they have record of weights. That would give them an out of paying the lawsuit and leave it on you, why take the chance?

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 04:40 AM   #23
jsmith948

FWIW...I don't think there is a concerted effort or an agenda here in CA to enforce weight limit laws as applied to RVs. Many times, these areas of enforcement are left to the discretion of the officer/trooper. Sometimes these LEOs are themselves RVers and have knowledge of truck and trailer combinations. Here in the central valley and along the central coast (Pismo Dunes) there is a large number of toy hauler type trailers and many of these trailers are being towed by 3/4 ton trucks. DW and I see them on every trip we make to Paso Robles to see our son and his family. On a couple of occasions, we saw the CHP "commercial unit" (black & white p/u with a camper shell) with a TH stopped. Later, on the way home, the TH was parked without the TV and it was "red tagged". Don't risk it - load legal and have a safe, worry free trip.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 05:34 AM   #24
Outback 325BH
Gone Traveling

Something else to ponder...

Many (all?) states exempt "RVs" (campers, RV, TT, 5er, etc.) from CDL requirements due to size/weights. That does not however mean you can be overweight. Meaning, within limits of vehicles and have appropriate registration for said weight. In addition, many (all?) states have driver's license requirements for certain size vehicles. Often times these non-CDL licenses follow the same weights to determine class, but is the state's decision. What this means is, driving that big 30,000+ GVWR requires a different class of license than the standard one everyone else has. Look on your driver's license. It probably lists the classes on it.

I know several guys driving a big RV with the regular class "D" (16,000 lbs or less) license.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Outback 325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:17 AM   #25
Ken / Claudia

Made sure to read post #22 Brent is right. I have seen it here in Oregon and nation wide. When Insurance companies feel they are paying out to much, they want change. DUII, the MADD mothers got big help from them to drop BAC %, Helmet laws for motorcycle riding, Seat belt laws, Better enforcement and conviction of auto theft. Where all pushed by Insurance here to reduce the loss rates they pay. I also see our law makers follow California laws and changes every time they meet. I do not like but, every 2 years it happens. It kind of snowballs more states review other states new laws, regarding safety or a way to make money and follow suit.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 03:16 PM   #26
Stircrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
No state will give you a problem about an endorsement not required in your home state.
it is required in our Provence, I have to go get mine also.

Steve
Stircrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 04:00 PM   #27
ChuckS

https://www.fcrv.org/documents/legis-licenses-15.pdf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 05:53 PM   #28
captcolour

This has been an interesting thread for a newbie. I had not even considered needing a different class license or at least an endorsement. This thread prompted me to check. Not required in Kentucky. Good to know.
captcolour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 08:14 AM   #29
Barbell

Replying to John's post (#14): The standard of proof in a civil action is a preponderance of the evidence. Anyone who has sat on a jury in a civil case has heard the lawyers explain that means more than 50%; a far heavier burden than "a hint of evidence". Also, the defendant does not have to prove his innocence; all he has to do is knock down the plaintiff's case. Having said all that, I am well aware that there is no shortage of sleazy lawyers who are happy to go after that rich guy pulling the big RV and all it takes to sue is the guts to do it and the price of the filing fee. There also are many reputable lawyers who will defend frivolous charges and recover your attorney fees and expenses for you. I have heard way too many long sad stories about how the judicial system screwed someone but when you look at what actually happened, many more times than not, the complainer got exactly what he deserved.
Barbell is offline   Reply With Quote