Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 12-13-2018, 02:10 PM   #1
kenm500

Roof Sealant - Faulty

I'm wondering if anyone else out there has had problems with their roof sealant.

I purchased a brand new 2017 Premier 29RKPR last April from a dealer in Michigan. The trailer came right off the assembly line, probably manufactured in March.

We used the trailer for 3 trips. Living in New England, we store the trailer in my yard covered with a breathable ADCO Tyvek cover. This is consistent with how we have always stored our unit.

While having the TT winterized and standard service this month before storing it for the winter, our dealer (not the one I purchased it from), noticed that ALL the roof sealant was cracked, bubbled, and basically in horrible shape. They were shocked I haven't experienced leaking on our last trip. Giving the trailer is only 18 months old, they felt it could only be caused by faulty sealant or it hadn't cured properly.

I realize the TT was just out of warranty, but reached out to Keystone and sent plenty of photos of the problem, to see if they would assist me with the cost to have all the seals repaired. I was very reasonable and wasn't expecting them to cover all the costs, by any good will offer would have been greatly appreciated.

Well you know their response, it was not covered because it was caused by external factors and not normal wear and tear. I could have told them that.

I am confident I'm not the only one who has experienced this problem. Has anyone else experienced the same?
kenm500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 02:19 PM   #2
Tbos

Roof Sealant - Faulty

Glad you haven’t had any leaks. I’ve seen edge sealant crack at the beginning of the second season. I’ve seen bubbles pop and cause leaks. Best to do a self inspection your self on a regular basis and keep some Dicor close by. You can probably do this yourself for a lot less than the dealer is going to charge. If you get the chance post some pictures too.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 02:23 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

I am assuming we are talking about Dicor? I've seen it crack and get brittle, and look generally bad, on old trailers. 18 months would be awfully fast to get as bad as it sounds. It will get cracks in it. I've never used a cover so don't know if that would affect it or not. I think several members do so they would know more about it.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 03:14 PM   #4
Ken / Claudia

About all can say it owning 7 RVs, I believe the roofs on everyone need to be checked out. Current is the 2nd with a rubber roof and dicor sealant. Both have needed more sealant added as it cracks. Good news is you just put more on at least for the first few times. A major part of maintenance is checking the roof as much as several times a year. I am not sure, but I seen to recall adding dicor to cracks the 2nd year it could have been the 3rd year on this TT.
Appears you do not do the maintenance. Maybe be sure the folks who do go from top to bottom and check everything out. I still do my own and it takes the better part of 2 days. I do take my time as I am not on a clock.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 06:34 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

The denial from Keystone on covering roof sealant a year from purchase should not be a surprise. The fact that it fails or cracks that soon should also not be a surprise. DICOR sealant is extremely pliable, takes several weeks to set up and is usually "dragged from Goshen to the dealership" within a couple days of being released from the assembly line. That wet sealant on a flexing, bending RV roof that hasn't set up is going to crack, bubble, stretch and run.

The Keystone Owner's manual states that sealant is NOT covered by warranty after 90 days (look it up if you doubt it's in the book) and I've seen probably 90% of the trailers I see after 6 months are in "dire need of resealing". Is it Keystone's fault? NO, it's simply that the sealant isn't cured when the trailer is moved the first time and then, we follow up with towing the trailer over bumpy roads at 65-75 MPH (that's hurricane force winds and earthquake jarring with every tow).....

I wouldn't suggest you hope that Keystone will help. Their response to you will probably be similar to the hundreds on the forum. They'll likely tell you, "I am sorry to inform you that Keystone will not be participating in the cost of resealing your roof. That is considered "owner maintenance" and it is the owner's responsibility to check the roof every 90 days and reseal as needed."

If you don't already have it, an excellent "Roof Care Guide" is located on the DICOR website. You can download it here: https://dicorproducts.com/rudys-down...care-handbook/

Good Luck

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 07:16 PM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

It’s not just Keystone, pretty much all RV manufactures have the same policy. I make it very clear during the walkthrough that the roof needs to be inspected regularly. Many dealerships offer free roof inspections and one I worked at saw it as a revenue source.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 10:28 AM   #7
German Shepherd Guy

I just bought a 2018 Premiere 26rbpr. It sat on the lot all summer, was manufactured in November of 2017 if memory serves, but is still listed as a 2018. Dealer to my place is 80 miles. When I got it home is when I really looked at the roof and same deal. Roof seals are horribly cracked. I have it parked in a pole barn and when spring warm comes will reseal. Just how it is. I am thinking about buying stock in Dicor.

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 07:08 PM   #8
Topglock

The second year owning our Bullet I used Eternabond around everything on the roof except the AC. The trailers in storage or I’d post some pictures. The stuff has held up amazing. It was quite time consuming making it look all neat but it was well worth it.

2015 Keystone Bullet 272bhs
Topglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 08:20 PM   #9
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topglock View Post
The second year owning our Bullet I used Eternabond around everything on the roof except the AC. The trailers in storage or I’d post some pictures. The stuff has held up amazing. It was quite time consuming making it look all neat but it was well worth it.
It will until you may need a minor repair, or say change a roof vent. To each their own, I wouldn’t use it in place of regular maintenance. Try peeling it off a seam to reseat a screw that has backed out, or replace the screw rail that got hit by something.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 12-19-2018, 07:46 AM   #10
Charby

Brought my 2014 home new and had a leak while in driveway within one week.
I didn't do the roof inspection at time of delivery It was at front cap and I demanded a tube be shipped from the dealer and did it myself. Seam at front cap seems to be the one to keep an eye on and recoat for me, and hasn't leaked since.
Old 12-19-2018, 10:16 AM   #11
Ken / Claudia

My trailer sits with the front facing the sun and that front roof seam to front cap /side has had the worst cracking of dicor sealant. Of any on the roof. Even on last RV it was that way.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 06:07 PM   #12
BadmanRick

We have a 2011 Bullet Premier 19FBPR took it in for service and checkout. Camping World advised the rubber Roof and seals need to be replaced. Estimated Total cost over $5000. Keystone advised. The roof was not properly maintained even though the manual I have says the rubber roof was warranted for 12 years and did not require any maintenance. After going back and forth with keystone they advised they soil cover the roof materials but not the labor to replace it. Rubber roof material is only about &500.00 labor $4500.00.
Camping World offered a new marine coating called Brightworks. Covers all roof and seals and has a 25year warranty cost $2000.00. CW resealed all the seams then applied the Brightworks coating. This Big difference over having rubber roof replaced. It also is a very bright white with 97% reflecting of the sun. I had this done and it dropped the inside temp down at least 10 degrees. We live in Florida and the trailer is not covered. So far so good very satisfied. It would be great if Keystone offered this as an option.
BadmanRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 06:01 AM   #13
Tbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadmanRick View Post
We have a 2011 Bullet Premier 19FBPR took it in for service and checkout. Camping World advised the rubber Roof and seals need to be replaced. Estimated Total cost over $5000. Keystone advised. The roof was not properly maintained even though the manual I have says the rubber roof was warranted for 12 years and did not require any maintenance. After going back and forth with keystone they advised they soil cover the roof materials but not the labor to replace it. Rubber roof material is only about &500.00 labor $4500.00.
Camping World offered a new marine coating called Brightworks. Covers all roof and seals and has a 25year warranty cost $2000.00. CW resealed all the seams then applied the Brightworks coating. This Big difference over having rubber roof replaced. It also is a very bright white with 97% reflecting of the sun. I had this done and it dropped the inside temp down at least 10 degrees. We live in Florida and the trailer is not covered. So far so good very satisfied. It would be great if Keystone offered this as an option.

Glad you were able to get something worked out. Sounds like a good compromise. Let us know how the briteworks holds up. Have a Merry Christmas.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 06:14 AM   #14
chuckster57
Site Team

Roof Sealant - Faulty

What most people don’t realize is the 12 years is from the manufacturer of the membrane, not Keystone. It covers defects in the membrane (rubber) material not the sealant used at the seams or the installation.

Old 12-24-2018, 06:48 AM   #15
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
What most people don’t realize is the 12 years is from the manufacturer of the membrane, not Keystone. It covers defects in the membrane (rubber) material not the sealant used at the seams or the installation.
.......and the owner is responsible for all maintenance. Cleaning, sealing, recalling, etc. Anything left to sit for periods of time without putting energy into it, is bound to fall apart. It's a law of physics and you can't avoid it.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 06:50 AM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

The Alpha Systems TPO membrane warranty is a "pro-rated" 12 year warranty. You can read the entire warranty here: https://manuals.heartlandowners.org/...20Warranty.pdf

Essentially, paragraph 3 details what is covered "by the warranty" and for how long. You'll notice, if you read it, that the warranty is really a 2 year warranty, after that, the only thing covered is a "portion" of the cost of the membrane and that labor is excluded entirely after 5 years. Here is paragraph 3:

3. Coverages. This limited Warranty constitutes the exclusive remedy against Alpha for all defects of the Alpha Roof Membrane. Tl1e exclusive remedies available to Purchaser shall be. at Alpha's sole and absolute discretion, to provide either: (i) material for the replacement of the defective portion of the Alpha Roof Membrane; or (ii) a credit to Purchaser toward the purchase of a new Alpha Roof Membrane equal to the estimated material cost to repair the defective Alpha Roof Membrane. For the first two (2) years from the date of purchase, this Limited Warranty will cover one hundred percent (100%) of the cost of materials on an approved claim. After the first two (2) years from the date of purchase, this Limited Warranty's coverage for materials will be reduced on a pro rata basis beginning with the third year and continuing until the expiration of the Limited Warranty. For any approved claim made during Year 3 (which is defined as beginning the day after the second anniversary from date of purchase to the third anniversary date) this limited Warranty will cover eighty percent (80%) of the cost of materials. After Year 3, there shall be a pro rata reduction of this Limited Warranty's coverage for cost of materials as follows: Year 4 - 60%; Year 5 - 50%; Year 6 - 40%; Year 7 - 30%; Year 8 - 20%; Year 9 -10%; Year 10 - 5% Year 11 - 3%; Year 12-1%. With respect to the cost of labor, for the first two (2) years from the date of purchase, this Limited Warranty will cover one hundred percent (100%) of labor costs on an approved claim. Alpha must approve the applicator to be used and Alpha Systems will pay a maximum rate of .8 hours per lineal foot of coach. Alpha will not pay for any removal or installation o1 any non-Alpha accessories including all underlayments, vents, skylights, antenna, etc. Costs will be reduced on a pro rata basis beginning with the third year and continuing until five years from the date of purchase. For any approved claim made during Year 3, this Limited Warranty will cover sixty percent (60%) of the cost of labor. After Year 3, there shall be a pro rata reduction of this Limited Warranty's coverage for the cost Qf labor as follows: Year 4 - 40%; Year 5 - 20%. Any claim made after five years from the date of purchase shall not include the cost of labor. For the first five years from the date of purchase, this Limited Warranty covers the cost of shipping the
new/replacement Alpha Roof Membrane to the approved dealer for repair and/or replacement. Purchaser shall be responsible for such shipping costs for any claim made after five (5) years train the date of purchase. The Limited
Warranty excludes transportation costs incurred in securing warranty service, loss of time, loss of use, loss of revenues, inconvenience or other incidental damages. This Limited Warranty excludes the cost of repairing or replacing other property which is damaged because of a defect in the Alpha Roof Membrane as well as other consequential damages. The extent of the Limited Warranty remedy provided to Purchaser hereunder shall not exceed the cost of replacing the defective Alpha Roof Membrane with a new Alpha Roof Membrane.

Badmanrick's trailer is a 2011. For the purpose of discussion, let's consider it an 8 year old trailer. So, according to Alpha Systems Warranty, he should expect to receive coverage for:
Materials: 20% of the cost
Shipping: NONE
Labor: NONE
Consequential damages: NONE

As he said, the costs for the new TPO membrane is around $500. He should expect reimbursement for around $100 of the total cost of roof replacement. That's 20% of $500 for the membrane. So, his settlement with CW, Keystone and AS appears to be a "very good deal" for him.... YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 01-30-2019, 09:53 AM   #17
BadmanRick

Quote:
Update went to Camping World for some service 1/22/19 they advised Brightworks has gone out of business. Could not explain why. I asked Camping World who will honor the 25 year warranty they advised “I guess we will “
We will see. How this holds up.
BadmanRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 11:29 AM   #18
JRTJH
Site Team

It sounds like a bargain may not be a bargain in the long term.....

First, let's hope you don't have any issues with your new roof coating. If you don't, then what difference would it make? That said, "keep your fingers crossed"....

In these times, there are so many "good, new products" being introduced. Just look in any issue of Trailer Life and you'll see pages of ads for things that make us think, "Why didn't I think of that?" or "Wow, I need that, and it's cheap too".... From generators to sewer fittings, there are new companies trying to enter the market on a daily basis. Some make it, most don't.... Thinking back on the past 20 years, I'm sure most of us can name at least 10 products we bought that are no longer available, not because they didn't work, but because the manufacturer either went bankrupt, was bought by a competitor and forced out of business or just got consumed with new, better products and couldn't keep up with the market....

Heck, it's the same with RV manufacturers. Does anybody remember Argosy, Champion, Alumalite, Wilderness, Prowler, Harvest, Redman, just to name a few....

In the "grand scheme of things" I'm looking for Lippert to buy Alpha-Systems and come out with a new name for the old product, declaring the 12 year warranty as no longer available. That seems to be the direction of many products. Anyone remember GE appliances? Try to get service for one of them at the local Black and Decker service center....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 01-30-2019, 12:18 PM   #19
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Update went to Camping World for some service 1/22/19 they advised Brightworks has gone out of business. Could not explain why. I asked Camping World who will honor the 25 year warranty they advised “I guess we will “
We will see. How this holds up.
If I were you I would make sure and stay on top of all maintenance and keep a close eye on the roof. Nothing new in that but just pointing out you may not want to push things and have to try to get someone to honor that warranty.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof