Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 12-07-2018, 10:17 AM   #1
Acaines

Ladders

We bought the Passport ultra lite 2450rlwe and there is no ladder for roof access. Is there a ladder set up I can purchase? Is it feasible or advisable to install one? Am I better off just using my folding extension ladder? I'm not sure if it's tall enough in its step ladder configuration to get on top of the roof. Do I risk damage to the edge by leaning the ladder against the trailer? I'm not exactly skinny so is there a weight limit I should be aware of when climbing up there? Any sage advice is appreciated.
Acaines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 10:38 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

I suppose the most "sage advice" is contained in the Keystone Owner's Manual, on page 87 in a WARNING: "Only RVs with factory installed ladders have walkable roofs."

That said, many members who do access their roof use either plywood squares covered with carpet or 2" "pink foam" squares to use as stepping stones that span the roof rafters. Remember, your roof decking is probably 1/4" OSB sheeting and probably on 24" centers. That isn't a lot of structural strength, so walking on it may well cause an unwanted hole, especially if, as you say, " I'm not exactly skinny..."

As for the weight limit, most people under around 200 lbs haven't reported issues using "pads" to access their roof. However, if you're over that, then you might consider some "sage advice" and just use your ladder with some foam noodles to pad the ladder where it touches the trailer sidewall and do you're inspections and maintenance "from the safety of the ladder".....

Here's a photo of the ladder that many of us have found to be easy to load, sturdy, light weight and the foam noodles fit well.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	expanding ladder.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	19556  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 10:46 AM   #3
Acaines

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I suppose the most "sage advice" is contained in the Keystone Owner's Manual, on page 87 in a WARNING: "Only RVs with factory installed ladders have walkable roofs."
That is one bit I've missed. Thanks for pointing that out.

Quote:
Here's a photo of the ladder that many of us have found to be easy to load, sturdy, light weight and the foam noodles fit well.....
Ok... I think I have my answer. Many thanks.
Old 12-07-2018, 12:42 PM   #4
wiredgeorge

Second the ladder John recommended. I have had a 12' version for quite awhile and it serves me well for trailer roof access and use around my home. Watch your thumbs; they aren't kidding about squishing them if you keep them in the wrong place when collapsing the rungs.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 12:56 PM   #5
cookinwitdiesel

I will note that in the brochure for my TT, it clearly states that it has a walkable roof yet there is no ladder installed.
(OLD) 2018 Keystone Hideout 28RKS Travel Trailer
cookinwitdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 01:06 PM   #6
wiredgeorge

I think that Keystone wrote ONE repeat ONE user manual in 1973 and it has gone into every camper they have sold since. I doubt there is much in those things that is written in snow. Perhaps when the thing was written it was true that day. Perhaps not. This has been discussed a zillion times and if you are not sure about walking the roof, find a jockey, lose a lot of weight or use one of the various methods to distribute weight as have been suggested ad nauseum.
Old 12-07-2018, 02:11 PM   #7
Acaines

I looked in my owner's manual on page 87 as stated and found the glossary. I will search the manual for such a notice. I also have some ideas that I can do searches online. Thanks to all for the input!
Old 12-07-2018, 02:23 PM   #8
MarkEHansen

You may have an older version. They have a 2019 edition out. See this page:

https://www.keystonerv.com/owners/owners-manuals/

And welcome to the forum!
MarkEHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 02:26 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acaines View Post
I looked in my owner's manual on page 87 as stated and found the glossary. I will search the manual for such a notice. I also have some ideas that I can do searches online. Thanks to all for the input!
It looks like you have the 2017 version of the Owner's Manual. You can download the 2019 version (date of publication: 4/1/2018) here: https://www.keystonerv.com/owners/owners-manuals/ It's the top link on the right side of the page, titled: Download the Keystone Owners Manual 2019

The one below that, dated 2018 is the version you have, which is the 2017 manual. In that manual, the warning is located on page 80 and reads the same: Only RVs with factory installed ladders have walkable roofs.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 03:13 PM   #10
cookinwitdiesel

The brochure for Hideout (East) 2018 lists all Luxury TT (for that lineup) as having Full Walkable Roof as standard. The Rear Ladder is listed as optional. What would you make of that? I am assuming I have the standard keystone manual as well with the discussed verbage. For what it is worth....I weigh 215# and did walk the roof at PDI without issue. I did feel what seemed like nail or screw heads raised above the surface of the wood below the TPO roof (but nothing poked through).
Old 12-07-2018, 03:26 PM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookinwitdiesel View Post
The brochure for Hideout (East) 2018 lists all Luxury TT (for that lineup) as having Full Walkable Roof as standard. The Rear Ladder is listed as optional. What would you make of that? I am assuming I have the standard keystone manual as well with the discussed verbage. For what it is worth....I weigh 215# and did walk the roof at PDI without issue. I did feel what seemed like nail or screw heads raised above the surface of the wood below the TPO roof (but nothing poked through).

Keep a close eye on those screws you felt under the TPO when on the roof....they WILL try to back out if you're not careful. My roof looked perfectly smooth at purchase. At the end of 4 years of use I could see multiple screw heads pushing up against the TPO down both sides of the trailer. I covered them with Eternabond to hopefully prevent them from cutting through.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 03:31 PM   #12
cookinwitdiesel

My trailer lived on dealer lots for 9 months before I bought it, no signs of leaks or water damage but lot of hot and cold weather that could back out screws over time. Thanks for the tip.
Old 12-07-2018, 04:23 PM   #13
guitarboy52

Have 2018 2520 Passport, see no need to get on roof. I have a wand/brush to clean roof, can inspect roof from sides.
guitarboy52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 05:58 PM   #14
Acaines

Okaaayyyy... I guess I won't be walking on my roof. BTW my folding ladder is tall enough to allow me access to the roof so I can do whatever maintenance that doesn't require me to get to the middle of the roof. My next question is how is such maintenance carried out?
Old 12-08-2018, 04:30 AM   #15
wiredgeorge

The roof penetrations are sealed with self leveling Dicor and this stuff tends to crack over time and need some resealing. Most folk don't try and remove the old Dicor but clean it and put new over the old especially where there are cracks. The stuff comes in a tube that you need to use a caulk gun with so you will eventually need to get up on top. The sides of the roof use NON self leveling Dicor. This is used as the the leveling product will run when in the hot sun and make a mess. Folks also clean their roof now and again per manufacturer's directions that come in your trailer's packet. Last, cleaning the cooling fins on the A/C up top is a good idea now and again. Frequency depends on environment and use. I am pretty sure there are youtube videos detailing this and the touching up of the Dicor reapplication.
Old 12-08-2018, 04:39 AM   #16
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

You can use 2' x 2' plywood covered with carpeting on one side or pieces of foam board as stepping stones. This will spread out the weight over a larger area.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 09:15 AM   #17
RickClayton

just a short note. I asked when we purchased our Passport 234 qwbe about the ladder
(or lack there of). Was told that if there ain't one ain't suppose to be access to the roof. NOT all trailers have roof access and are meant meant to be walked on. Good luck if you install and always stay safe.
RickClayton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ladder