Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 11-25-2018, 09:07 AM   #1
P&DZ

Recent Cougar 21RBSWE Purchase

I became a forum member about a month ago and this is my first post. First I would like to congratulate members and hosts for running such a great forum!

We recently purchased a used 2012 Cougar 1/2 ton 21RBSWE. It was a one owner TT and appears to have been meticulously maintained. We are new to the world of TT's but not to camping as we have owned a Rockwood hard side A-Frame for a few years. Our intention is to upgrade to the larger Cougar TT for more comfortable accommodations on longer trips.

I have a few questions. If anyone has owned this particular TT and can provide any insights regarding service, maintenance, quirks (good and bad) I would be great full. The 1/2 ton Cougar brochure for 2012 lists all of the specs for this unit as TBD. I suspect it may have been the first year for this model. I have been able to determine the UVW (5230lbs) and GVWR (7200) but not the hitch weight. I can only assume it is 10 to 15%. I am also guessing at the fresh/grey/black tank capacities based on the 2013 model and calculations/conversions from the manufacturer sticker on the TT.

Last question. The purchase includes a Andersen WD hitch. I am not familiar with this style hitch which uses chains rather than fixed bars. Does anyone have experience with the Andersen hitch? The TV is a 2018 GMC 1500 5.3L with max tow package.
P&DZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 11:27 AM   #2
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

https://www.rvusa.com/rv-guide/2012-...-21rbs-tr12746

Try this for specs.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 01:59 PM   #3
P&DZ

Thanks ctbruce!

I am wondering if the specs for the XLite 21RBS are the same as for the "1/2 ton" 21RBSWE. My prior research indicates the WE version of the "1/2 ton" is slightly different than those for the XLite RBS version. I think the "WE" 1/2 ton version has larger tanks but I can not confirm. The floorplans are nearly identical.

I appreciate your help.
Old 11-25-2018, 02:05 PM   #4
Kylemcmahon1

That is a great easy to use hitch. There a several vids on you tube that will tell you how to set it up for your truck. Once you get use to using it you will love it. Plus Anderson garenttees all parts even the bushing material for life. I have gotten new bushing material for the ball once and no problem. Just call them up and they send you new peice.
Kylemcmahon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 02:15 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

The specs for your trailer are also on the Keystone website. Go to https://www.keystonerv.com/travel-tr...alf-ton/specs/ That "should" take you to the Cougar Half Ton specifications page. In the upper right corner you'll see a box marked "FLOORPLAN YEAR" click on 2012 and you will find the first column is the 21RBSWE with all the specs annotated.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 05:22 PM   #6
P&DZ

Thanks JRTJTH,
I visited the web site you provided and sure enough those were the specs I have been looking for. Appreciate your help!
Old 11-27-2018, 09:22 PM   #7
Logan X

Quote:
Originally Posted by P&DZ View Post
Thanks ctbruce!

I am wondering if the specs for the XLite 21RBS are the same as for the "1/2 ton" 21RBSWE. My prior research indicates the WE version of the "1/2 ton" is slightly different than those for the XLite RBS version. I think the "WE" 1/2 ton version has larger tanks but I can not confirm. The floorplans are nearly identical.

I appreciate your help.
I believe the “WE” stands for west coast edition. I may be wrong but I don’t think the specs change very much. Congratulations on your new trailer!
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 06:52 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Since around 2010, Keystone has been producing "similar" models in Oregon and Indiana. The Oregon models are designated "WE" (Western Edition). Some of the models carried the same model number, some were similar, but "one digit off" but always carried the WE designation. Many of the brochures from previous years stated that the WE versions contained equipment more suited for the "west coast user" (whatever that designation means) and that they contained larger holding tanks to provide for more convenient dry camping.

Typically there was about 25% greater fresh water capacity and around 35% greater holding tank capacity. In recent years, as Keystone moved away from the Cougar XLite and began building the Cougar Half Ton trailers in both plants (east and west coast plants) they have started using very similar tank sizes in both locations. Today's models, for the most part, share very similar specifications. That's not true for "SOME" previous year models.

The only way to know for sure is to look up the specifications on similar models and compare what data Keystone provides.

As an example, comparing my XLite 27RKS to the 279RKS, mine has 43 gal fresh water and three 28 gal holding tanks (1 blk/2gray) while the WE edition of the similar floorplan has 60 gal fresh water and three 38 gal holding tanks (1 blk/2gray) so there's an extra 30% fresh water and 28% more waste water capacity.

Remember, some models are "extremely close to the same" while some models are "significantly different". This is "pretty much" and across the brands similarity. Hideout, Springdale and other "west coast models" were different, but currently are more the same than in previous years.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 11-28-2018, 07:47 AM   #9
Lee

Hi.

Interestingly my 2013 21RBSWE TT was manufactured in the Indiana plant.... Not the Oregon plant.

Lee

1970 F250 Highboy 4x4
2013 Cougar 21RBSWE
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 08:36 AM   #10
66joej

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Hi.

Interestingly my 2013 21RBSWE TT was manufactured in the Indiana plant.... Not the Oregon plant.

Lee
I believe the decal says manufactured by Keystone Indiana not manufactured in Indiana. If you go on YouTube and search 2012 Cougar the sales people will indicate that the WE models were in fact built in Beaverton/Pendleton Oregon.
The address on the decal denotes the manufacturers head office. JMO

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 01:04 PM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66joej View Post
I believe the decal says manufactured by Keystone Indiana not manufactured in Indiana. If you go on YouTube and search 2012 Cougar the sales people will indicate that the WE models were in fact built in Beaverton/Pendleton Oregon.
The address on the decal denotes the manufacturers head office. JMO
That's what I was thinking, but I can't dispute something I can't see on a decal on a trailer I've never laid eyes on. From what I have seen, the WE model decals indicate "Manufactured by Keystone RV Company, Goshen, Indiana" but not where the actual assembly plant is located. But then, there may have been one WE model that was built in Goshen as a "test run" for the new reorganization with the deletion of the XLite and renaming all "ultra-light Cougars" under the Half Ton banner.... Who knows????

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 11-30-2018, 06:51 AM   #12
P&DZ

Thanks for the information. We picked up the camper yesterday and we are quite pleased with the overall condition and really like the layout. Can't wait to get it out on a trip. As you have stated, I have been able to confirm the "WE" models are somewhat different than those without the "WE" designation. I can not attest to all of the differences but I do know the holding tanks on the 21RBSWE are larger, 41 gal fresh, 38 gal waste and two grey tanks totaling 76 gal.
Old 11-30-2018, 07:51 AM   #13
Logan X

Congratulations on the new trailer!
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 12:01 PM   #14
Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by P&DZ View Post
Thanks for the information. We picked up the camper yesterday and we are quite pleased with the overall condition and really like the layout. Can't wait to get it out on a trip. As you have stated, I have been able to confirm the "WE" models are somewhat different than those without the "WE" designation. I can not attest to all of the differences but I do know the holding tanks on the 21RBSWE are larger, 41 gal fresh, 38 gal waste and two grey tanks totaling 76 gal.
Hi.... You mean the non-WE fresh is 41gal.... My 21RBSWE has a 60 gal fresh..... I'm positive about the 60 as I had to replace it once. 😢

Lee
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 06:10 AM   #15
Bamabox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylemcmahon1 View Post
That is a great easy to use hitch. There a several vids on you tube that will tell you how to set it up for your truck. Once you get use to using it you will love it. Plus Anderson garenttees all parts even the bushing material for life. I have gotten new bushing material for the ball once and no problem. Just call them up and they send you new peice.
We have a 2017 Cougar XLite 21RBS and when we drove it away from the dealer, I figured meh.......don’t need a weight distribution hitch with this small TT and a 2015 Ram 3500 single wheel. Hahahahaha. 10 minutes on the Interstate with big rigs flying past, like OK, I get it. Did a lot of research and ended up buying the Anderson hitch. I would go so far as to say I love it, but then again I have no real frame of reference with any other hitch. I’m not really sure it’s the greatest in terms of actual weight distribution (chains vs bars), but when it comes to anti sway, it’s excellant. Very unique method of controlling sway.
Bamabox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 03:00 PM   #16
P&DZ

Lee,
Very interesting your comment about having a 60 gal fresh water tank. As you indicated I have no doubt you are correct. And I also believe my model year 2012 21RBSWE only has a 41 gal fresh water tank. I suspect Keystone made a change from the 41 gal tank to the 60 gal tank mid way through the 2012 model year. I suspect this because of two reasons. The first is using the url provided by JRTJH in the thread above I looked up both the 2012 and 2013 specs. The 2012 spec states a 41 gal fresh water tank and the 2013 a 60 gal tank. Secondly, using the manufacturers weight placard on the side of the TT I did some quick math. Assuming the grey water and wast water tanks did not change the number of lbs remaining converted into gallons would only be enough for a 41 gal fresh water tank with an additional 6 gal for the water heater.

We did pick up the TT last week. Although it was a relatively short trip home, I was pretty happy with the initial performance of my 1/2 ton GMC with the Anderson wdh. More to evaluate with this TV/TT combination as we tow through the Colorado mountain passes more often that not. As so often mentioned in other threads I am all about being safe!
Old 12-06-2018, 03:10 PM   #17
kjohn

Congrats on the new to you trailer. We will be getting a new 22RBS "Half-Ton" early in the Spring. We had a 21RBS and really liked it. The 22 has some upgrades and small differences, but the same floor plan. Enjoy your camping!

Tags
21rbs, cougar