Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-21-2019, 10:29 AM   #1
rsthomis

Toilet trouble

Hi friends! Well, we were bad. We had a sudden dip into the 20s but we hadn't winterized our 2012 Bullet Premier because we were going on a trip the next week. Fast forward to this week, we get set up and hook to city water, and there is water spewing from behind the toilet (Dometic 310). Hubby has tried to tighten every fitting he can see, but everything is tight. Every time water is to pressure, we have the leak. Question: is this something we will be able to repair ourselves, or should we just bite the bullet and take it to the shop? Since all the lines disappear into the back of the unit, I assume it will have to be pulled out. Thanks in advance
rsthomis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 12:01 PM   #2
Ken / Claudia

I think that's the same toilet I have. And I have had the same problem, there is a easy 10 min fix. The water line has a check valve at the toilet at end of water line. It is about 50 bucks at a dealer. It has a thin part that will freeze and split.
If it's the same as mine, it is removable by 1 or two screws attaching it to the toilet and the water line screwed on it. If you have a manual, it has the part number listed. Or contact a dealer with the toilet brand and model number. I found the local dealer stocks many of them. Mainly sold in the spring after dewinterizing.
Last to prevent this again, step on the flush valve to clear it of water with pump/water off. Also when winterizing, step on the flush valve to get anti-freeze into it or if only using air, again to clear any water out. Easy to get done with 2 people. 1 does the anti-freeze or air as another person steps on that flush valve. After I replaced mine, I purchased another as a spare just in case.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 12:11 PM   #3
Steveo57

It's an easy fix. Just get a new valve, $15 or so. Turn off the water, unhook the hose, remove the screws in the back holding the valve in, pop it out and pop in the new one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190824_163055.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	24424  
Old 11-21-2019, 12:59 PM   #4
UsTwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
I had the same problem, there is a easy 10 min fix. The water line has a check valve at the toilet at end of water line. It is about 50 bucks at a dealer. It has a thin part that will freeze and split.
If it's the same as mine, it is removable by 1 or two screws attaching it to the toilet and the water line screwed on it. If you have a manual, it has the part number listed. Or contact a dealer with the toilet brand and model number. I found the local dealer stocks many of them.
Or about 18 bucks on Amazon.. I went thru the same thing this last spring..It has 2 small screws to holding it on..I went to the hardware store and got a 1/2 in plug and screwed that in until the part came in. You can still use the toilet, but will have to had add the water to flush Do make sure you step on the pedal when winterizing.. I forgot to do that last year..

Craig
Kathie
2013 Keystone Cougar
X-Lite 31 RKS
UsTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 05:43 PM   #5
bobbecky

This is from the Dometic owners manual:

IMPORTANT:
Toilet warranty does not cover freeze-damaged water valve
The Dometic 310 and 320 series toilet warranty expressly excludes coverage for any damages to
the toilet or vehicle that may occur as a result of improper winterization of the toilet. An indicator of
improper winterization is freeze damage to the water valve which results in leaks.
Dometic 310 and 320 series toilet water valves
exceed maximum water pressure as defined by
North American plumbing code agencies. However,
if trapped water freezes in piping that supplies water
to the toilet, it expands and creates extremely high
pressure that can damage the valve (see photo).
To avoid this, winterize the toilet as described in
this manual. If freeze-damage occurs as a result of
improper winterization, replace the water valve with
a 300/310/320 toilet water valve kit, part number
385311641. IF WATER VALVE IS RETURNED FOR
WARRANTY CLAIM, DOMETIC RESERVES THE
RIGHT TO DENY CLAIM IF PROBLEM IS CAUSED
BY FREEZE DAMAGE.
Fig. 6 A – Freeze Damage Indicator Window: white stress marks indicate freeze damage
B – Water valve damage due to severe exposure to below-freezing temperature
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dometic toilet valve 1 - Copy.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	24428  
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 10:18 PM   #6
Ken / Claudia

Well, I learned where to buy the next toilet valve. In my case I was leaving on a trip the next day and had a new one installed after a 15 min trip to the dealer. So, I got 2 and cost just under 100 bucks as I recall.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 05:13 AM   #7
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
Well, I learned where to buy the next toilet valve. In my case I was leaving on a trip the next day and had a new one installed after a 15 min trip to the dealer. So, I got 2 and cost just under 100 bucks as I recall.
$11.75 each on eBay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Water-Valve...7c482e68fdec3a
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
toilet