Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 10-29-2019, 07:11 PM   #1
jmorse62

Best Option for Reliable Internet

Unfortunately while traveling I need to stay in touch with the world and have a good internet connection. I found that a reliable internet connection at a campground is rare. I have looked into wifi boosters but I don't think you can't really boost bad quality internet. Satellite and cellular may be an option. What is my best shot at getting good internet to the RV?
jmorse62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 07:46 PM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

I have always found the Verizon Jet Pac reliable and secure. I bought the unit outright for around a hundred bucks and then pay by the gig when I need it. I'm not sure what they go for now but I would recommend it. JM2¢, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 08:51 PM   #3
outlaw

I have also used the Verizon Jet Pac for years and have found it can handle at least 5-6 pieces of equipment very reliably. (I think it is rated for 10). I also use a cell-phone booster that was provided to me by Verizon free due to weak signal at our property in FL. I am not a fan of "free" WIFI anywhere but that is just me.

Jim & Rosa Marshall
Jager (German Shepherd)
2012 Toyota Tundra
2006 Keystone Laredo 308GR
2017 Keystone Hideout 28BHS
outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 09:23 PM   #4
GHen

If you go cellular data, we use a WeBoost RV and it normally doubles the data speed, WHEN you already get some slow data.
It also do a great job of getting cell service where it’s too weak to make a call without it. But, if you have weak cell service, we don’t always get data.
With all that said, it was one of my best investments in our RV.
GHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 11:33 PM   #5
John&Genny

I usually ask when I’m at a campground to try and find out what kind of incoming internet they have. I was pleasantly surprised to find our favorite campground had incoming fiber. And they also had a decent wifi router, but was inside their community building. But I had a 14 dbi directional antenna that I could point at the building and get a decent enough signal used with my WiFi Ranger to stream on my Roku.

But there are times that you are better off using the data tethering from your Verizon or AT&T phones as some of the campground internet connections really suck. I’ve seen quite a few changes in this over the last few years as millennials and us techies love to go camping, but still need to stay connected A lot of campgrounds are improving their internet service in response.
John&Genny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 03:46 AM   #6
Roscommon48

verizon is the best for phone/interent service within the phone system.

depending on what you want to spend there are a number of systems out there for only internet...$$$$ Viasat is one of them.
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 04:01 AM   #7
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscommon48 View Post
verizon is the best for phone/interent service within the phone system.

depending on what you want to spend there are a number of systems out there for only internet...$$$$ Viasat is one of them.
Did a google search on Viasat internet for RV use:
https://community.viasat.com/viasat/...or-rv-internet

I think a hot spot is about the only reliable way to stay connected to the internet if you camp and Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile all have different coverages so I would pick one and then check campgroundreivews.com to see if a prospective camp ground had signal coverage for that carrier.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 04:55 AM   #8
fatcatzzz

We use AT&T with a Nighthawk hotspot. Have traveled all over the country and only had a couple of places (Rock Springs Wy and middle of Nevada) we could not connect. I'm sure there are other, just have not found them. We have a grandfathered unlimited data account for $20 a month. We use on average 150+ GB a month. We also use a Weboost in hard to reach areas. Hope this helps.
fatcatzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 07:36 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Having moved (about 10 years ago) from a location with fiber-optic cable/internet service to a location without even DSL (think stepping back into the "dark ages"), we found that our only option for "fast, reliable internet service" was satellite internet. By "fast, reliable..." What I really mean is "faster than dial-up when the sun is shining"... It has improved over the years, but even the "premium satellite internet provider" (Hughes Net) is "reliable and fast" ONLY when the weather is right, when the wind isn't blowing and when compared to DSL, not "true high speed internet service"...

Viasat and Blue Sky satellite internet "essentially bought Hughes Net's old satellite infrastructure, so any expectation that they will be "better than" is, for the most part, expecting "last year's technology to be an improvement over current technology".... (ain't gonna happen). As of now, NO SATELLITE INTERNET PROVIDER is providing access to their system for mobile use or connection to the internet. The "aiming process" is just too precise to allow for good connections (even when parked) for a price that "the average person" would pay. Granted, there's "high tech systems" but few of us would be willing to pay the price for that kind of internet service and what's available at prices we will pay won't connect in the RV environment.... So, satellite internet service for RVing is not an option.

On the cell phone side, if you pull up AT&T, Verizon, Mobile 1 and the "off brand carriers" webpages, they all have a "coverage map" that shows where they provide service. For RV use, look at the overall coverage in the areas where you're going to be using your RV. If there's coverage in the primary areas that you'll be RVing, at least you'll be paying for something you can use. If, on the other hand, all your RVing is in the northwest and that provider's webpage is "all white in the northwest", well, you're probably not going to be happy on your next RV trip.....

Verizon, for us, seems to provide the best BASIC service in areas we travel. On the other hand, my DW has a Verizon phone, I have an AT&T phone, between the two, we've still found some locations where neither will work.... So, there are locations where the "dark ages" still exist.....

About 12-18 months ago, there was an extensive discussion on the forum concerning Verizon's "prepaid internet service". If I remember correctly, there was an overall understanding that it provided the least expensive, relatively fast UNLIMITED internet connection with no "throttle back" speeds after a specific amount of data download.

You might want to do some forum searches for those past threads that, for the most part, laid out the entire program from Verizon and explained all the benefits and, most importantly, all the pitfalls......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote