Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 10-12-2019, 04:11 PM   #1
JRlikesRVliving

Wintering

Hey everyone,

I have a cougar 33 sab and I plan to do some winter camping this year. Sometimes for a full week or 2. I have the “winter package” on this RV. I can see that the underbelly is enclosed and there is insulation foam busting out the seams. Should I still put skirting around my RV for additional insulation of will the “winter package” work as it says?

Thanks!
JR
JRlikesRVliving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 04:18 PM   #2
Snoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRlikesRVliving View Post
Hey everyone,

I have a cougar 33 sab and I plan to do some winter camping this year. Sometimes for a full week or 2. I have the “winter package” on this RV. I can see that the underbelly is enclosed and there is insulation foam busting out the seams. Should I still put skirting around my RV for additional insulation of will the “winter package” work as it says?

Thanks!
JR
All depends how cold it gets. We are wintering in Arizona in the East Valley, Wintering up North is a different animal.
Old 10-12-2019, 04:29 PM   #3
JRlikesRVliving

I’m in NY so it gets pretty darn cold. It says it’s rated for zero degrees but I don’t want to mess around... I’ve heard that it’ll stand up to 25 pretty well but once it starts getting lower than well... what do you think?

Thanks!
JR
Old 10-12-2019, 04:57 PM   #4
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRlikesRVliving View Post
Hey everyone,

Thanks!
JR
To be honest, most coache are "3 Season RVs" at best. The "winter package" that you describe comes in many different verbiages (Arctic, Polar, etc). The insulation foam that can be seen in the coroplast openings is just there as to close up the penetrations, not insulate the entire under body. Some winter packages come with holding tank heaters and most come with small ducts that heat that "dead" space via the furnace.

In the case of using a trailer in the middle of winter (in the northern states), it can be done but with certain assumptions. If temps are significantly below freezing, there will be an obvious battle of keeping the fresh water system thawed, including the FWT and waste valves. Skirting can help but how much does a person want to invest in a time and materials for a week or two of use?

Most who have limited winter RV plans will keep the coach winterized and use fresh water jugs for consumption. Bathing will be done by alternative means. Make sure there is plenty of LP on hand for thirsty furnace use as well as supplemental electric heaters.

Winter camping can be done (in "temperate" conditions). The challenges are bigger (obviously) the colder it becomes.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 05:08 PM   #5
JRlikesRVliving

Ok, thanks for the reply. Very helpful. I do have heat pads for each of my tanks. So maybe I can get by if it’s around the 20’s. You’re right, it is tons of work to skirt Thats why I wanted to see “how low I could go...” haha.

Thanks again,
JR
Old 10-12-2019, 05:19 PM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

You might want to check with a local propane company and set up on site delivery. If it gets really cold the furnace will be running constantly and a 20 or 30 lb tank won't last very long.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter