Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 09-09-2019, 08:24 AM   #1
Carrottop

Winter Storage

We are new to seasonal camping but not camping in general. This will be the first year I leave my trailer at the seasonal site all winter vs. storing it indoors for the winter. The reason I am not hauling it out of the seasonal site and into the indoors storage is two fold. First the cost of the indoor storage has gone up to over $800 from Oct 1 to May 1. Second is that I have a deck right close to the trailer and in all likely hood would have to move the deck, not fun. So my question is what extra precautions should I take more than what I did normally which is to clean it and spread bounce sheets and glue traps throughout the trailer. Someone mentioned that I should buy moth balls and place them all over. Any suggestions would be helpful. I also bought pest resistant great foam to seal up the holes between the floor and corrugated bottom of the trailer.
2015 Nissan Armada 5.6
2021 Keystone Residence 40FLFT
Carrottop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 08:47 AM   #2
travelin texans

Couple of suggestions!
Don't use the sticky traps indoors, once critter is stuck that's where they rot, YUK!!
Dryer sheets work great, as mouse nesting material.
They like Irish Spring shavings to shower with I guess, it winds up in the nest also...
Moth balls only work to stink the place up FOREVER.
Get some Fresh Cab & place several around inside under cabinets & other hiding spots. It smells good & is great deterrent. Find it online or at Tractor Supply.
Also while at TS get some Ramick Green pellets to scatter under & around the RV, only outdoors, it also works good to deter critters away.
If you have power while stored a couple Sonic pest devices also work great.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 09:32 AM   #3
KeithInUpstateNY

Foam is messy and hard to use for small gaps. I used aluminum foil tape to seal all the edges of the Coroplast.

If you have a traditional hard wired electrical cord stuff a copper pot scrubber in the port. Steel wool will rust.

I haven't had any mice get in since I tightened everything up.

BUT, to save yourself a potential mess if they do get in remove anything that is potential food (any bar soap, they chewed a bar of Pears glycerin soap before I got things sealed up) and potential bedding (paper products, clothing, linens, rugs, etc.). If you don't have room to store everything at home get plastic bins to store these items in your trailer.

You're in snow country it looks like, so if possible raise the tongue of the trailer to aid in run off when the snow does melt to reduce the risk of ice dams around the AC, vents, etc. and lighten the snow load, especially if you don't have a walkable roof.

2015 Bullet 220RBI
2019 Chevy Colorado extended cab V6 3.6 liter
KeithInUpstateNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 10:06 AM   #4
ADQ K9

Ditto all what he said (Compeakw) but also get some sort of passive dehumidifier. I open a big bucket of "Damp Rid" set it in the middle of the trailer and keep the bathroom and bedroom doors open. It basically absorbs all the moisture inside the unit
Connected by a Curt 15K WDH W/Sway Control
ADQ K9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 12:34 PM   #5
Carrottop

Thanks for the info. I will look into them.
2015 Nissan Armada 5.6
2021 Keystone Residence 40FLFT
Carrottop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 02:46 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

I use Fresh Cab along with some "other" deterrents in our storage facility. I put bags of Fresh Cab at the base of the tires, tongue jack and power cord where it goes into the air to plug in to discourage them from "climbing on up. Of course I use it in various other places as well - things really smell nice come time to open up. Oh, and I use the Fresh Cab the same way on my CJ7 sitting in the garage here in the mountains.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 01:41 PM   #7
maccam1

For years ive put an open bag of charcoal in the trailer to help draw moisture
Dryer sheets also,and always empty everything out of the trailer.blankets,towels clothes
All food items.do store inside for winter,and have never had any problems.
maccam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 04:01 AM   #8
Schbobby

Once I did the Moth Ball dispersing through out my camper. Had the Moth ball smell in the camper for the next ten years! Never stopped the Mice was thinking the mice had great soccer games all winter long. Sonic deterrence work the best, so plug in all winter long!
Schbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 07:27 AM   #9
itat

You can’t get Fresh Cab in Canada anymore - at least you couldn’t when I tried earlier this year. So I ordered some from the US on Amazon.com.

In order to prevent mice from getting into your trailer in the first place, go through it very thoroughly and plug any potential entrance holes. I use stainless steel wool and Pest Block expanding foam to try to plug up all the little holes. Look for places where wires, pipes and gas lines come up through the floor.

I also put cotton balls in ceramic mugs, and put several drops of Essential Oil of Peppermint on the cotton balls. I put the mugs and the Fresh Cab pouches in key places around there trailer where mice would likely gain entrance.

Damp Rid is also a great idea. I have vent covers on all our roof vents so I leave the vents slightly open to promote air movement and the Damp Rid helps control moisture when its not below freezing temps.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2014-2018)
itat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage, winter