Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 11-18-2019, 02:29 PM   #1
Benbill

Disc Brakes very Grabby??

I just purchased a 2020 keystone Montana with the Legacy package that included disc brakes on the trailer. I was wondering if anyone has had a similar issue with their disc brakes being extremely sensitive and very touchy when applying your brakes at a slow speed? I have to apply the brakes very gingerly and feather down the application in order not to have the brakes grab. I have turned my F350 brake switch down to the minimum setting of 6.0. I purchased my Montana from RV Outlet USA in Virginia and I live in Southeast Georgia, so it is not a situation where I can just run it back to the dealership for quick warranty service. I know I can take it to my local camping world, but I hear that their service wait time is extremely long. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Benbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 02:47 PM   #2
tech740

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benbill View Post
I just purchased a 2020 keystone Montana with the Legacy package that included disc brakes on the trailer. I was wondering if anyone has had a similar issue with their disc brakes being extremely sensitive and very touchy when applying your brakes at a slow speed? I have to apply the brakes very gingerly and feather down the application in order not to have the brakes grab. I have turned my F350 brake switch down to the minimum setting of 6.0. I purchased my Montana from RV Outlet USA in Virginia and I live in Southeast Georgia, so it is not a situation where I can just run it back to the dealership for quick warranty service. I know I can take it to my local camping world, but I hear that their service wait time is extremely long. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
The lowest it will go is 6? I do not have disc brakes so just a guess. There maybe an adjustment on the hydraulic pump itself.

2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans 3:73
Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
tech740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 03:28 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

It sounds to me like your brake controller isn't properly set up. The "default setting" is "ELECTRIC" and your disc brake trailer is "ELECTRIC OVER HYDRAULIC" so you'll need to change the setting in the truck's computer.

I'm not sure which model F350 you have so I can't give you the specific instructions on how to access and adjust your brake controller. The adjustment access is different for XL and XLT models and the "upper models" with a digital display. The process is in your owner's manual around page 292 or in that area.

You'll need to first adjust the brake type to "electric over hydraulic" and then you'll need to finish with the "normal brake control settings"....

Anyway, there are two different "brake control settings". One is the amplitude setting (1-10) and the other is the "gain" (ramp up time) which is (low/med/high).

It sounds like your brake control is set to "electric" and your "gain" is set too high and the brake initiation effort is locking up (or causing your brakes to grab) when you apply the brake pedal.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 06:32 PM   #4
Benbill

JRTJH, you are a genius! I think you know a lot about a lot of things. I will investigate your suggestions. I have the XLT model. If you didn’t recognize my screen name, you have also been advising me on the right generator setup for my 2020 Montana. Thank you again for all your time and knowledge.
Old 11-18-2019, 06:54 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

My pleasure. I just hope it all comes together for you and RVing is a fun pastime, not a chore.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 11-18-2019, 09:47 PM   #6
trucker LOU

Hey Benbill, I just moved up to a 2019 f250 from 2000 f250 and first trip out was a lesson in adjusting controller to work with my disc brakes. John is correct in his instructions. Takes some fiddling but can come out right . good luck you will love the disc brakes .----LOu----
trucker LOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 08:25 AM   #7
travelin texans

After towing trailers for years with drum brakes it takes some getting use to & adjustments for the feel of trailer brakes you can actually tell are working. Will never own another without disc brakes!!!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 08:13 PM   #8
Benbill

Thank you to all who chimed in about the disc brake issue that I have been dealing with. I have not had an opportunity yet to make any adjustments, but hopefully all will go smoothly.

I tow a fairly heavy boat on a tandem trailer with disc brakes, and I agree that when the brakes are working properly they really improve the towing experience.
Old 11-20-2019, 05:04 AM   #9
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
It sounds to me like your brake controller isn't properly set up. The "default setting" is "ELECTRIC" and your disc brake trailer is "ELECTRIC OVER HYDRAULIC" so you'll need to change the setting in the truck's computer.

I'm not sure which model F350 you have so I can't give you the specific instructions on how to access and adjust your brake controller. The adjustment access is different for XL and XLT models and the "upper models" with a digital display. The process is in your owner's manual around page 292 or in that area.

You'll need to first adjust the brake type to "electric over hydraulic" and then you'll need to finish with the "normal brake control settings"....

Anyway, there are two different "brake control settings". One is the amplitude setting (1-10) and the other is the "gain" (ramp up time) which is (low/med/high).

It sounds like your brake control is set to "electric" and your "gain" is set too high and the brake initiation effort is locking up (or causing your brakes to grab) when you apply the brake pedal.
Ain't tech great! On an older F350 to adjust the electric trailer brake you set the controller to the max, go out and apply brakes and have your forehead hit the windshield. Turn down the controller one number and repeat. Keep doing this until your head no longer hits the windshield. Smart owners wear a motorcycle helmet when adjusting. My bruise will eventually fade, I guess.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 09:23 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Ain't tech great! On an older F350 to adjust the electric trailer brake you set the controller to the max, go out and apply brakes and have your forehead hit the windshield. Turn down the controller one number and repeat. Keep doing this until your head no longer hits the windshield. Smart owners wear a motorcycle helmet when adjusting. My bruise will eventually fade, I guess.
GET WELL SOON !!!!!

I agree, technical advances have jumped by "leaps and bounds" in the past 10 years. Heck, just from 2015 (my truck) and 2019 (DW's Edge) vehicles are "learning to drive themselves" and if you get too close to the "white line or yellow line" or too close to the car in front, it'll put your head in the windshield, even without turning up the brake control.....

As "grandpappy" used to say, "Times, they are a-changin… "

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 11-20-2019, 10:32 AM   #11
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
GET WELL SOON !!!!!

I agree, technical advances have jumped by "leaps and bounds" in the past 10 years. Heck, just from 2015 (my truck) and 2019 (DW's Edge) vehicles are "learning to drive themselves" and if you get too close to the "white line or yellow line" or too close to the car in front, it'll put your head in the windshield, even without turning up the brake control.....

As "grandpappy" used to say, "Times, they are a-changin… "
My kiddo insists on taking me with her when she buys a car. She does an incredible amount of research and when we take a test drive, she grills the salesman on safety features; most of which I was totally unaware of till the test ride. She just bought a butt ugly Toyota with a strange name but it had all sorts of geegaws that helped seal the deal for her. My kiddo has a great job, makes lots of money and is a lot smarter than me (not sure if that says much) and have no idea why she feels better with me in the back seat on a test ride. My only advice to her was not to fall for the extended warranty and she went ahead and bought the double platinum.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 01:07 PM   #12
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benbill View Post
JRTJH, you are a genius! I think you know a lot about a lot of things. I will investigate your suggestions. I have the XLT model. If you didn’t recognize my screen name, you have also been advising me on the right generator setup for my 2020 Montana. Thank you again for all your time and knowledge.
Oh nooooo. We'll have to double his pay again.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 03:13 PM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
Oh nooooo. We'll have to double his pay again.
SHHHHHHH !!!!! We're trying to sneak it through without HR finding out !!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS

Tags
brakes