Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 01-19-2024, 05:19 PM   #1
sourdough
Site Team

Tesla Cyber Truck??

Headed to my local city today (Lubbock, TX) and passed a Tesla Cyber Truck. I didn't know they were selling them (and I haven't found where they are) but it was there and had TX plates? I did do a bit of research and one of the reviews had one with TX plates being reviewed by what sounded like an Australian. To the point;

Speed limit on that highway is 75. This truck was running "maybe" 50. The driver looked like he was geared up for the Arctic; big hooded parka (could not really see his face), gloves etc. I thought it very odd....then it dawned on me - not enough power? It was 26 and wind chill about 19. He was about 60 miles from any charger (if there are any around) unless he was going to plug into a regular 120v outlet. Got to thinking about it and maybe he had the heater off and going slow to use less energy? Anyway, thought it was weird and if those are the reasons then an underscore why I don't want one....my truck was doing a bit over 75, temp set at 75, heated seats and wheel on...... smiling all the while....
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 05:26 PM   #2
GlasNav

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I don't want one....my truck was doing a bit over 75, temp set at 75, heated seats and wheel on...... smiling all the while....

2021 Cougar 25RDS
2019 RAM 3500 Longhorn, Mega Cab, DRW,
Cummins 6.7 HO, Aisin 6 Spd HD, 4x4
GlasNav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2024, 07:20 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

There's LOTS OF DISCUSSION (well people are raising hell about electric cars) around here. There are 6 recharge stations at a local shopping area, 2 are broken and the other four are "constantly in use". Now that it's winter, sub zero temperatures, batteries simply won't charge fully and take longer to reach a "max it can get to" charge. That creates some "warmer attitudes from those waiting in line"... The "luxury apartment complex" in town has a couple of chargers, and they are always in use.

People simply can't charge their EV's anywhere other than their own garage. So much for all the "out of town recreation industry" (Snow skiing, snowmobiling and cross country snowshoeing) because people can't find a way to charge their vehicle to go back home.

One "feature segment" on the local news last night before the temperature started dropping was "How to save your battery charge"... Recommendations ranged from getting all the ice/snow off the vehicle (make it lighter) to not using the defroster/heater, but rather use the electric seat heaters and steering wheel heat with 2 windows slightly open to help keep humidity from breathing from fogging the windshield...

Back when I was a kid, I remember that heater/defrosters in ICE cars was an option. Many cars didn't have heat and Western Auto sold a heater/defroster kit for "aftermarket installation". There was a "universal base unit" and then "installation kits" with ducting and fittings to fit each vehicle"....

Looks like this "modern mode of transportation" is not much better in cold weather than the 70 and 80 year old cars from my childhood.....

Grandpa used to say, "Can't get ahead by taking one step forward and sliding two steps back"..... Seems we're "sliding back quite a bit with all these advances that weren't very well thought out or tested in the real world environment"......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2024, 07:38 AM   #4
Badbart56

I've seen a lithium battery explode and burn, up close. Cell phone battery exploded while removing it from the phone while parked in our Peterbilt. If I hadn't been able to throw it out the door we probably would have lost the truck and probably the trailer as well. I'll never ride in an electric vehicle let alone own one.

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2024, 08:13 AM   #5
dutchmensport

Could have been someone driving a test vehicle, doing all he could to fudge the results to make the vehicle sound more robust than it actually is. So, he gets a bazillion miles on one charge in 26 degree weather. Plus, he was driving interstate speed. (What the official interstate speed .... anything between 45 mph and 75 mph???) And he was in Texas miles, and miles away from the nearest recharging station and wasn't concerned a bit about the distance he was driving!

What the final analysis will not say, he was freezing inside that vehicle and only doing 50 mph. But the vehicle met all of it's objectives. What "they" don't tell you is what you eventually discover the hard way .... kind of like that recent post about the rain gutter pouring water directly on top of the electric plug in for his camper!

Yea, he was test driving! That's my take on the subject.
Old 01-20-2024, 01:12 PM   #6
LadyCPA

Yes - they are building those trucks in Austin Texas. Family member works there.
Columbia SC
LadyCPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2024, 01:34 PM   #7
jasin1

They don’t do well in cold weather…both the batteries and the chargers https://www.foxnews.com/media/chicag...ation-failures
Old 01-20-2024, 02:03 PM   #8
jasin1

Forgive my youtube video but i found it really interesting how difficult it is to put out an EV fire…many more fire fighters and specialized equipment..wonder who pays for all of that …and this was just one vehicle that actually caught fire…..imagine when there are many more EVs on the road and more accidents …a logistic nightmare
Old 01-20-2024, 02:21 PM   #9
jim1

Wow!! No thanks to the Ev, I'll stick with the dinosaur juice burners any day.
Retired-Lovin' 7 Saturdays a week!!
jim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2024, 02:33 PM   #10
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Headed to my local city today (Lubbock, TX) and passed a Tesla Cyber Truck. I didn't know they were selling them (and I haven't found where they are) but it was there and had TX plates? I did do a bit of research and one of the reviews had one with TX plates being reviewed by what sounded like an Australian. To the point;

Speed limit on that highway is 75. This truck was running "maybe" 50. The driver looked like he was geared up for the Arctic; big hooded parka (could not really see his face), gloves etc. I thought it very odd....then it dawned on me - not enough power? It was 26 and wind chill about 19. He was about 60 miles from any charger (if there are any around) unless he was going to plug into a regular 120v outlet. Got to thinking about it and maybe he had the heater off and going slow to use less energy? Anyway, thought it was weird and if those are the reasons then an underscore why I don't want one....my truck was doing a bit over 75, temp set at 75, heated seats and wheel on...... smiling all the while....
You ever eat at Bryan's Steakhouse? If I am in the general direction of Lubbock I try and get there. Try and remember not to wear burnt orange (HOOK 'EM) when I go...
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2024, 05:09 PM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
You ever eat at Bryan's Steakhouse? If I am in the general direction of Lubbock I try and get there. Try and remember not to wear burnt orange (HOOK 'EM) when I go...

I have not. I've driven by it hundreds of times but as Lubbock has sprouted like a weed and everything is growing S everything I need doesn't take me by there any more. I should have tried it but when I want a steak I either cook my own or eat out in San Angelo (used to be - good places are about gone) or Abilene. Up by you I used to eat at a place called Cowboy's in Kerrville quite a lot, don't know if they're around anymore. Since I retired (18 years) I've only stayed there 4 or 5 times or driven through it while in Fredericksburg or headed to San Antonio.

I googled Bryan's and seems it was lost to a fire earlier in 2023 and has just reopened. From comments it seems their prices have jumped and the cooking has deteriorated some.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2024, 05:34 PM   #12
wiredgeorge

Quote:
I have not. I've driven by it hundreds of times but as Lubbock has sprouted like a weed and everything is growing S everything I need doesn't take me by there any more. I should have tried it but when I want a steak I either cook my own or eat out in San Angelo (used to be - good places are about gone) or Abilene. Up by you I used to eat at a place called Cowboy's in Kerrville quite a lot, don't know if they're around anymore. Since I retired (18 years) I've only stayed there 4 or 5 times or driven through it while in Fredericksburg or headed to San Antonio.

I googled Bryan's and seems it was lost to a fire earlier in 2023 and has just reopened. From comments it seems their prices have jumped and the cooking has deteriorated some.
That is sad news on the fire. I haven't been there for a couple years but they had GREAT steaks. The only steakhouse in Medina County is the one in Devine of IH35 and it is LOUSY. The only other steak houses are in SATX and these are mostly big chains. We have some gift certificates for Longhorn steak house and they are OK but well, OK.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote