Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-12-2024, 05:17 PM   #1
WADZ UP

E-Track in OUTBACK 240urs

Hi team, I could use some advice please.

Has anyone had any success installing E-Track in the front of the Outback 240urs or 230 on the floor or side wall?

I'm researching installing some E-track on the floor and or along the bottom wall to add some tie down rings and also for installing Moto Pro HQ wheel chalks for securing dirt bikes. I like e-track and it provides different options depending on how many bikes you have and what your trying to secure.

I'm unsure if the floor or the walls could handle E-track. I intend to keep the Outback Toy hauler for a while and I realize its probably not the best move for resale but I'm willing to take the hit. Thanks everyone for any advice or insights from past owners in this department.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	etrack.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	46228  
WADZ UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 06:45 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

From 2015 through 2021 Keystone advertised the Outback 230TRS and the 240URS in the list of equipment/features as having "Laminated floor with R10 foam". What that is described to include is a "double layer top surface, block foam and a single layer lower surface" This information comes from the 2015-2021 Outback brochures. In 2022 and 2023, Keystone did not include any construction details in the brochure, however the empty weight of the 240URS for those years is about 500 pounds heavier than previous to these years. That tells me that like other Keystone brands, the factory moved away from the laminated floors because of significant water and mold damage claims. You'll need to verify with Keystone, but my guess is that in 2022 and 2023 Keystone installed the Durafloor solid 5/8" thick floor with conventional insulation beneath it.

Why does that matter to you? If you're looking to install e-track tie down rails to the floor, you'll need to secure them "through the floor and into something substantial below the floor. I'd guess the frame rails ??? Then you'll need to tighten the bolts to secure the tracks in place. Attempting to tighten a 2" block of foam will prove to be difficult as it will probably loosen repeatedly.

I would suppose there are ways to secure e-track rails in the trailer "in spite of the laminated floor" but I would urge you to address that issue before you sign on the dotted line and own a trailer that will prove to be expensive to modify to use as a "heavier than bicycle" garage tie down system.

As for mounting e-track rails to the walls: Remember that the walls are not much more than 0.040" Years ago, when aluminum framing was first introduced, most trailers were built using 0.083" square tubing. Then as trailer weight started being more important and the ultra-lite models came into existance, that thickness started coming down to help reduce trailer weight. I would not be surprised to see 0.030" tubing used in "non critical framing" and 0.040 used in stress related framing. What that means to you is that attempting to secure e-track rails to the aluminum studs will likely pull out of the studs with any significant stress or movement of the motorbikes/ATV's.

Do some SIGNIFICANT research before you buy any ultra-lite toy hauler. The weight has been reduced significantly to make the trailer lighter. But that comes at the expense of having "robust places to mounnt tie downs for the toys".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
outback, rack