Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Freeways & Byways
Click Here to Login

Old 02-28-2024, 09:06 AM   #1
flyingjack

By-pass NYC?

Mid October, 13'9" tall 5er, Maine to Wash DC and want to by-pass NYC.
Suggestions please.
Jack
flyingjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 09:22 AM   #2
GlasNav

When we come out of SE CT, I normally use (I-287) the Tappan Zee Bridge, and avoid most of NYC, especially the Cross Bronx Expressway.

If coming from Coastal Maine: 95, 495, 90/84, 91, 95, 287

2021 Cougar 25RDS
2019 RAM 3500 Longhorn, Mega Cab, DRW,
Cummins 6.7 HO, Aisin 6 Spd HD, 4x4
GlasNav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 11:57 AM   #3
jxnbbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlasNav View Post
When we come out of SE CT, I normally use (I-287) the Tappan Zee Bridge, and avoid most of NYC, especially the Cross Bronx Expressway.

If coming from Coastal Maine: 95, 495, 90/84, 91, 95, 287
+1 on this advise...most of our travel has been 'around NYC' and 'around DC'. I actually have blocked this out on the Garmin GPS so it will not map us through the cities.
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 12:18 PM   #4
flyingjack

GlasNav, thanks, made one change for a stop.
Thanks for info
Jack
Old 02-28-2024, 03:29 PM   #5
markdol1

Yup tappanzee has new bridge it think they named it gov. mario cuomo bridge or above that is the rip van winkle near the catskils in ny, it connects you to the mass.turnpike. i come from phila area and i also travel up rte 287 to bypass nyc, what a nightmare!
markdol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 03:36 PM   #6
GlasNav

Waiting for Cuomo's name to be removed from the new bridge.

Next bridge up the river is the Newburgh-Beacon bridge, Rip Van Winkle is too far out of the way. Problem with I-84 on the West side and down is that it is bumpy as heck, good way to tear up a trailer.

2021 Cougar 25RDS
Old 02-28-2024, 03:40 PM   #7
NH_Bulldog

Even though we are in Southern NH, we prefer to avoid 95 and 495 due to heavy traffic. We head West to pick up I-91 South and then I-90 West to 87. From there we can get just about anywhere we want to go.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 04:08 PM   #8
GlasNav

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Bulldog View Post
Even though we are in Southern NH, we prefer to avoid 95 and 495 due to heavy traffic. We head West to pick up I-91 South and then I-90 West to 87. From there we can get just about anywhere we want to go.
Indeed, The Mass Pike is great as a bypass. As a matter of fact we use it from KS to SE CT by heading up to the Lakes then across Upstate NY and down thru Hartford etc. Anything to avoid the PA Turnpike, and the "Greater New York Metropolis"!

2021 Cougar 25RDS
Old 02-28-2024, 05:32 PM   #9
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingjack View Post
Suggestions please.
Jack
Well at 13’-9” tall you are already 3” over legal height, are you sure of that measurement?
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 06:08 AM   #10
flyingjack

No, we're not 13'9"; that's my safe height clearance number. Looking for 4"-6" buffer for bouncing etc.
Thanks
Old 02-29-2024, 08:24 AM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
No, we're not 13'9"; that's my safe height clearance number. Looking for 4"-6" buffer for bouncing etc.
Thanks
Just something to consider with a 4"-6" buffer for bouncing.....

Many highway overlay contracts call for a 4" or 6" base overlay. Contracts are funded and work completed with the "county intention to award a contract to repaint clearance warnings "next fiscal year".....

While it doesn't happen in a majority of contracts, when the road surface is repaved, the clearance between the bridge and the roadway is reduced. It only takes ONE (not the majority) to rip your air conditioner off the roof..... Even with the "world's best GPS warning system" pay attention to clearances on "newly paved or repaired roads"......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 10:26 AM   #12
LadyCPA

Quote:
Thanks
I am with Jack. I added 3 inches to the height and a couple feet to the length just to ensure we have a bit of wiggle room. Hubby is great at this, but no one is perfect, so I try to take the added distance to get the more maneuverable route.

We are looking to buy an RV Garmin in the next few months, just comparing costs and options.
Columbia SC
LadyCPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 12:07 PM   #13
jasin1

When your traveling thru the New york area make sure you drive on the slower side of the speed limit because the roads and exits up there are really confusing and come up quick….been up there a half a dozen times and it always seems different …Garmin gps was getting confused on my trip back from maine and i ended up going much closer to the city then i wanted to….even the signs were vague and didn’t mention the bridge name coming back?….i just remember my wife and i had a split second to trust gps or our memory and apparently chose wrong.

Nextime I think i may look at the route ahead of time and see if i can pull up exit signs on google earth street view so i don’t make that mistake again.

That whole area around New York is a maze of roads and exits..…Its like a giant fish net trying to channel you into the city so they don’t lose out on any money if you bypass it…Reminds me of Dunnes river falls in Jamaica…the climb up the falls ended in a grifters village that you had to go thru to get shaken down for money before you could leave…Wish they would build a giant toll road completely away from the city…far away
Old 02-29-2024, 12:34 PM   #14
flyingjack

Everyone, great posts.

jasin1, after four of us planning this 2 month trip (St Louis, Niagara, Finger Lakes, Maine, Philly, DC, Chattanooga, Nashville, and Memphis; then meander back to CO) for 2+ days (so far); we totally appreciate your take. Day 3 and we're finally making reservations. Our usual trips are 2+ months and 3-4 stops; a little more detail on this trip.
Thanks everyone.
Old 02-29-2024, 01:42 PM   #15
Pull Toy

Definitely take I-287 to the MARIO CUOMO Bridge from CT to avoid NYC. Fun Fact: If you have an older GPS you will not show up on the bridge itself. You will appear to be in the Hudson River! When they demolished the old Tappen Zee Bridge, it was about a quarter mile north of the existing bridge, and someone forgot to tell the satellites.

Another little known gem is that if you don't already have EZ-Pass, get the NY one. You don't have to be a NY resident. They offer a good discount on all NY Tolls that are exclusive to NY EZ-Pass accounts. The pass is accepted anywhere that EZ-Pass is in use, including Florida now.

If you are taking the Jersey Pike south, jump off in Bordentown (Exit 7). You can pick up I-295 South, and get a free ride the rest of the way. It runs parallel to the Pike and is a better road.

Good Luck,

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 06:20 PM   #16
GlasNav

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Just something to consider with a 4"-6" buffer for bouncing.....

Many highway overlay contracts call for a 4" or 6" base overlay. Contracts are funded and work completed with the "county intention to award a contract to repaint clearance warnings "next fiscal year".....

While it doesn't happen in a majority of contracts, when the road surface is repaved, the clearance between the bridge and the roadway is reduced. It only takes ONE (not the majority) to rip your air conditioner off the roof..... Even with the "world's best GPS warning system" pay attention to clearances on "newly paved or repaired roads"......
An issue like you mentioned happened in CT a few years ago when a semi struck the overpass. Right away it was deemed the drivers fault until he and his company pushed back. The area beneath the overpass hadn't been milled, and more pavement was laid. The State flunkies never bothered to measure the clearance, sure enough either the overpass settled or the highway grew. The State and paving contractor were held liable for the destroyed trailer. The state had to have a contractor come in immediately and mill beneath and both sides of the Northbound lane of I-95 in way of this overpass.

2021 Cougar 25RDS
Old 03-04-2024, 07:48 AM   #17
JeffJohnston

Quote:
Suggestions please.
Jack
I'm not sure of the best bypass, but i can tell you what NOT to take. Anything in NY with the word Parkway in the name. It's against the law to travel on any of them with any type of trailer (I found out the hardway and $150 fine later).
Old 03-04-2024, 08:06 AM   #18
jxnbbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffJohnston View Post
I'm not sure of the best bypass, but i can tell you what NOT to take. Anything in NY with the word Parkway in the name. It's against the law to travel on any of them with any type of trailer (I found out the hardway and $150 fine later).
Actually where there is 'rumor' that the same is for the NJ Garden State...that isn't true. I did the research a year or two ago as it worked to be the best route to bypass NYC and join 95 at the NJ Turnpike. So many/most comply with the restrictions and some do not....

"The Garden State Parkway RV restrictions state that an RV that weighs over 10,000 pounds or is greater than 45 ft in length is prohibited from using the Parkway north of exit 105. Cars towing a trailer or camper cannot park at the Garden State Parkway if the total length exceeds 62 feet. "
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 02:27 PM   #19
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Bulldog View Post
The thought of pulling my camper around the Baltimore or Capitol beltways terrifies me.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 03:23 AM   #20
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
The thought of pulling my camper around the Baltimore or Capitol beltways terrifies me.
The Baltimore beltway is actually not that bad….traffic has been getting heavier,earlier but for the most part the lanes are moving…Some construction slowing things down on the North side but the road surfaces in MD are some of the best on the east coast...( one good thing about the high taxes i guess)…When crossing from PA into MD the roads are noticeably better…..The capitol beltway is another story altogether… Chaos and a sea of sketchy temporary tags flapping in the wind as they pass you doing 80 mph….Then standstill backups for miles.

But most of the northeast around Balt/Wash is at least three lanes…when you get South of DC you get into two lane traffic and truck traffic….My wife and i talked about finding a different route South that may be less stressful.

Also if you were blindfolded you could tell your driving in MD…They recently legalized and the smell from vehicles weaving in and out of traffic gets old after a while.