Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-16-2023, 05:54 PM   #1
slewis721

Motor Cycle Lift

I'm looking for options to bring my touring bike with our 5th wheel. I've seen hydraulic lifts attached the the back of the RV and I've told about swivel wheel trailers (platform).. Does anybody have experience with these 2 above or are their better options. I have a Montana 3811MS.. 41 ft.
slewis721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 07:13 AM   #2
Pull Toy

Probably not what you want to hear, but here’s my first impression:

Option 1: Your fifth wheel is not designed to be a toy hauler. Between the weight of any hydraulics and a touring bike added to the rear of you rig would be a major safety challenge

Option 2: Towing behind your 5er is a serious concern. Towing doubles is illegal in many states, may require CDL, and may exceed legal length limits where it is allowed.

A suggestion would be to investigate a legitimate Toy hauler, or tow a landscaper behind a second tow vehicle. Another suggestion might be to rent a bike at your destination. After many years of taking the bike with us, we agree, it adds a whole new dimension to your camping time! Lots to see and do out there!
Good luck,
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2023, 05:10 PM   #3
RetiredFinally

Quote:
Originally Posted by slewis721 View Post
I'm looking for options to bring my touring bike with our 5th wheel. I've seen hydraulic lifts attached the the back of the RV and I've told about swivel wheel trailers (platform).. Does anybody have experience with these 2 above or are their better options. I have a Montana 3811MS.. 41 ft.
I went with the option of pulling a motorcycle trailer behind my 5th wheel. Yes, many states don’t allow 2 trailer towing but that’s mostly in the east, down the eastern seaboard. I have called all the states that I will be travelling in from alberta down to Arizona and I am good for double towing all the way. The only state I need a permit in is Utah and you can get that online. I am pulling a stinger motorcycle trailer, its small, very well built and folds up neatly for storage when I am not using it.

Cheers

John
Old 09-20-2023, 05:27 PM   #4
foldbak

I've been eying this and seen it used on several rigs.

https://hydralift-usa.com/5th-wheel-motorcycle-lift/

Tony & Donna & Murphy
2022 Montana HC 295RL, Solar Flex 400, Onan 3600 LPG, 2000 inverter, 200AH Lithium, 2020 GMC Denali 2500 6.6 Duramax, 10 speed Alison Trans, Demco 21K Auto Slide
foldbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2023, 06:20 PM   #5
TXiceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by foldbak View Post

No way would I consider adding that much weight to a Keystone product and a Lippert frame. The lift plus the bike will add a tremendous amount of weight to the rear and unload the pin which will cause poor ride, chucking and more.

Additionally, looking at the photo, that trailer appears to be a New Horizon trailer that probably has a GVWR of 24,000 LB and an actual structural steel frame, not a flimsy stamped sheet metal frame.

If you want to haul the scooter, get a toy hauler.

Ken
Old 09-20-2023, 06:30 PM   #6
jancoe1

I'm putting a carrier on the back of a customers 5th wheel right now for 2 honda super cubs. It's not finished yet. How much that motorcycle weigh? Click image for larger version

Name:	20230920_095518.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	45208Click image for larger version

Name:	20230920_095511.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	142.3 KB
ID:	45209
jancoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2023, 06:38 PM   #7
slewis721

It's an Indian Road Master.. Weighing around 900 lbs. If I go with the double hitch swivel wheel trailer. It weighs around 300 lbs. The tongue weight will be around 150 lbs.
slewis721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2023, 07:33 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by slewis721 View Post
It's an Indian Road Master.. Weighing around 900 lbs. If I go with the double hitch swivel wheel trailer. It weighs around 300 lbs. The tongue weight will be around 150 lbs.
Check with the State Police in your area before buying this type of trailer. Some states say it is OK to use and do not consider it "double trailer towing". Some states consider it a second trailer and have significantly different rules in putting that type trailer on the road behind a trailer. Those rules are different than putting it behind a tow vehicle. So "dig into the weeds" with your research. Your "first blush" result may well be, "Sure you can tow that kind of trailer in Missouri"... Then, when you ask, "Is it legal to attach behind a trailer?" you may well get the response, "Oh no, it's legal to tow behind your truck, but we don't allow two trailers."....

Do your research in EVERY STATE where you intend to tow.... I double tow a Slingshot on a trailer or a bass boat behind my fifth wheel. I'm 73' long and legal in Michigan. I can't "legally tow in Ohio, Indiana, Wisconsin or Minnesota" because their maximum length is 65'.

Technically, I've never had an issue towing through those states, but I do realize that if I get stopped and they measure my total length, I may wind up with an expensive ticket, leaving my DW to "guard the Slingshot" while I tow the fifth wheel to the nearest truck stop and return for the second trailer..... I'm the one taking that risk, and I understand that I may have some "significant inconvenience and expense" by towing over the maximum length.

Do your research, know the rules where you're going to be towing, then make your own decisions whether you can accept the potential risks.

EVERY STATE IS DIFFERENT AND YOU'RE SUBJECT TO THEIR LAWS WHEN TOWING ON THEIR HIGHWAY SYSTEM, REGARDLESS OF WHAT YOUR HOME STATE RULES MAY BE.....

Something to consider if you decide to buy that type trailer to attach behind your fifth wheel. Should you be stopped, say in Florida and ticketed and instructed to disconnect the second trailer, then return when you leave your fifth wheel parked somewhere to retrieve your motorcycle and that trailer. How are you going to tow it??? You'll need to modify your truck AND the fifth wheel so you can hitch that trailer to either. Otherwise, if you have to "leave it on the side of the road" you'll have no way to tow it if you can't tow it with the fifth wheel, so you'll have the extra expense of putting the hitch system on both your truck and the trailer....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2023, 06:48 AM   #9
TXiceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jancoe1 View Post
I'm putting a carrier on the back of a customers 5th wheel right now for 2 honda super cubs. It's not finished yet. How much that motorcycle weigh? Attachment 45208Attachment 45209

There is more than welding steel to the back to support several hundred pounds.

Is the frame on the trailer sufficient to have the added weight behind the axles? You have to consider both static and dynamic loading. Dynamic loading comes from the trailer bouncing down the road.

Adding several hundred pounds to the back of the trailer will lighten the pin weight considerably. Going lighter on the pin will cause handling problems as well as chucking.

As a retired engineer, personally, I would not take the responsibility of adding a carrier with that much weight to the rear of a light weight 5er.

And that does appear to be a light weight 5er. Lippert frames are not known for quality and strength.

Ken
Old 09-22-2023, 09:07 AM   #10
wiredgeorge

Perhaps if you want to drag your Harley along, time to check out toy haulers. I had a Forest River toy hauler and hauled my trike in it. I think that it is the only enjoyable way to take a full sized bike or in our case, a trike. Wife hated the toy hauler as it had no storage in the cabin and everything was stacked up on those elevated bunks when we traveled. In retrospect, I would do more thinking about the floorplan but that is on me.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2023, 03:33 PM   #11
jancoe1

I've done my fair share of trailer frame repair and all have their own issues. I'd agree that some of the frames out on the market should not be holding up what they are, and some do a very good job at it.

Since the O.P. bike weights in at 900 lbs. I'd look into a double swivel wheel platform. I've installed several of them on Montana's and other 5th wheels. We sold those at a dealership I was working at for 15 years.
What axles do you have? The 7k or 8k axles? You do have a long tail as it is.
I've been in metal fabrication and RV repair most of my career.
I'm sure I would have heard by now any damages caused by my lack of training in metal fabrication and structural engineering. I have built a few hundred carriers maybe more, I've lost count. I've custom built for the last 20 years on the rear of 5th wheels and custom cargo trailers.
I don't put anything on nothing the math doesn't match up to.
jancoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2023, 07:39 AM   #12
Stircrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by foldbak View Post

my neighbor has this and loves it. they did have to add a 3rd axel to his rig for the extra weight
Stircrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2023, 07:40 AM   #13
Stircrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
No way would I consider adding that much weight to a Keystone product and a Lippert frame. The lift plus the bike will add a tremendous amount of weight to the rear and unload the pin which will cause poor ride, chucking and more.

Additionally, looking at the photo, that trailer appears to be a New Horizon trailer that probably has a GVWR of 24,000 LB and an actual structural steel frame, not a flimsy stamped sheet metal frame.

If you want to haul the scooter, get a toy hauler.

Ken

they do add an axel depending on the rv you are putting it on so everything you went on about isn't a concern.
Stircrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2023, 07:43 AM   #14
Mikelff

Toy hauler is best. By the time you make all the modifications you probably could have bought one. There are some nice ones out there. There are other safety concerns that are eliminated with a toy hauler like theft, weather, road hazards, added tail swing for the added trailer or lift. If you are serious about taking your bike often, especially a 900 pound touring bike, toy hauler is your best option. My neighbor has one and after much research, decided on the toy hauler. He brings his Gold Wing and sometimes his kids dirt bike. Both fit and toy hauler is built for it.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2023, 07:50 AM   #15
Meat

I’m towing a 38ft travel trailer and hauling my trike in my truck. This way I have the trike and we’re not giving up living space.
Load the trike in my truck with a Loadall ramp system.
Meat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2023, 10:59 AM   #16
Hoopy Frood

FWIW, we towed a SmartTrailer, a swivelwheel design, behind our 35' 2005 Montana Big Sky for a couple years, and it did fine. The really nice thing is the ability to back up without any problems. It had dual wheels and heavier duty tires so that wasn't a problem. The tail swing really needs to be remembered and factored in to your driving.

I never considered the Hydralift, as I thought hanging 1500 lbs. off the back was not a good idea. Some of these roads would give me nightmares if doing that.

We traveled through and stayed in several eastern states that don't allow double towing and had no issues. We never even garnered a second look from the LEO's.

But we did get tired of the loading and unloading, and the tail swing consideration, and went to a toyhauler in 2010. Toyhaulers have become much nicer than they were 10-12 years ago.

Good luck in your choice.

"Don't Panic"
Hoopy Frood is offline   Reply With Quote